Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
20-07-2016, 07:33 PM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(20-07-2016 07:22 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 07:20 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  Roman history specifically.

Period?

All my friends who are professors in ancient history have specific themes they teach.

Specifically the Julio-Claudian dynasty, Year of the Four Emperors and the Flavian dynasty, and the Nerva–Antonine dynasty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2016, 07:42 PM
(20-07-2016 07:33 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 07:22 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Period?

All my friends who are professors in ancient history have specific themes they teach.

Specifically the Julio-Claudian dynasty, Year of the Four Emperors and the Flavian dynasty, and the Nerva–Antonine dynasty.

What books did you use?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
20-07-2016, 07:45 PM
Also. Those are large periods separated by considerable time. You have Master's in both?

Which specific areas of the Julio line did you study? Surely it cannot comprise from Iulius to Nero???

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
20-07-2016, 08:03 PM
(20-07-2016 07:20 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 06:52 PM)Banjo Wrote:  FIXED.

BTW. What is your specialty in history?

Roman history specifically. Like all teachers/instructors and scholars, I rely heavily on the scholarship of others, as no one on their own can grasp the enormity of it all.

I tend to focus in on the numerous Roman wars as I really enjoy anything that involves wars and fighting. I first knew that I had a propensity towards history back in Grade 8, when I aced every history exam with 100% because it was all about the two world wars.

I love fighting, and was a boxer back in the day. I am not a big man, but I was as fast as fuck and totally idolized Ali. My biggest problem is that I was fearless, which as you would know can result in getting knocked out a couple times.

As I matured, I began to realize that a healthy dose of fear breeds respect, and that is not a bad thing.

Enormity does not mean what you seem to think it means. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-07-2016, 08:15 PM
(20-07-2016 08:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  Enormity does not mean what you seem to think it means. Consider

Indeed. Caesar's wars with the Gauls is a specific subject. The period from The triumvirate to the end of Nero is a LONG time. Augustus alone ruled from BC 27 to AD 14! Followed by Tiberius who then ruled until 37. Followed then by Gaius and then Claudius, followed by Nero. Then the Antonines?

This period is much too long for which to have a Master's. Usually one would study a specific period, such as the Peloponnesian war of which Thucydides recorded. A 30 year period at most.

As a man who has studied for 36 years, I call BS.

Banjo.
20-07-2016, 08:30 PM
I am kinda wielded out too.

I switched majors halfway through. My first was classics with a focus on golden age Rome. This would be the reigns of Julius Caesar and Octavian. My professor was an expert on Cicero, and had us read a great deal of him. As such I find such a broad focus kind of odd. Unless the program was vastly different.
20-07-2016, 08:34 PM
(20-07-2016 07:42 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 07:33 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  Specifically the Julio-Claudian dynasty, Year of the Four Emperors and the Flavian dynasty, and the Nerva–Antonine dynasty.

What books did you use?

The short list is William C. Morey, Sir William Smith, Kenneth Wellesley and Robert Graves' many works, Suetonius' "The Twelve Caesars" and Tacitus' "Annals" & "Histories," Cassius Dio, all encyclopedias and modern scholarships.
20-07-2016, 08:46 PM
(20-07-2016 08:34 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 07:42 PM)Banjo Wrote:  What books did you use?

The short list is William C. Morey, Sir William Smith, Kenneth Wellesley and Robert Graves' many works, Suetonius' "The Twelve Caesars" and Tacitus' "Annals" & "Histories," Cassius Dio, all encyclopedias and modern scholarships.

Yeah, at this end you have a guy who owned the entire Loeb library, has seriously studied history from many ages and is good friends with working professors of ancient history.

You need to be specific with this man. In what period is your qualification? And which volumes did you use to gain this qualification. At which school, in which year. I am going to check.

So far you do not seem to me to know very much. A quick internet search of various historians is NOT enough.

BTW. Why no mention of Michael Grant???

I'm serious mate. I study history constantly. I know bullshit when I see it. And I smell a huge pile here.

[Image: mBzKi.jpg]

Banjo.
20-07-2016, 08:49 PM
(20-07-2016 08:15 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 08:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  Enormity does not mean what you seem to think it means. Consider

Indeed. Caesar's wars with the Gauls is a specific subject. The period from The triumvirate to the end of Nero is a LONG time. Augustus alone ruled from BC 27 to AD 14! Followed by Tiberius who then ruled until 37. Followed then by Gaius and then Claudius, followed by Nero. Then the Antonines?

This period is much too long for which to have a Master's. Usually one would study a specific period, such as the Peloponnesian war of which Thucydides recorded. A 30 year period at most.

You think I learned all this for my master's? Seriously?

That was 15 years ago, and in the past 15 years I have studied all that I have listed. I do this professionally, therefore there is a vested interest in expanding my expertise if I want to remain employed. I am immersed in this subject for an average of 600 hours per year, for the past 15+ years.

That's nearly 10,000 hours.

If you studied for 36 years you musty be incredibly lazy not to have learned what I learned in less than half the time.
20-07-2016, 08:51 PM
(20-07-2016 08:49 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 08:15 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Indeed. Caesar's wars with the Gauls is a specific subject. The period from The triumvirate to the end of Nero is a LONG time. Augustus alone ruled from BC 27 to AD 14! Followed by Tiberius who then ruled until 37. Followed then by Gaius and then Claudius, followed by Nero. Then the Antonines?

You think I learned all this for my master's? Seriously?

That was 15 years ago, and in the past 15 years I have studied all that I have listed. I do this professionally, therefore there is a vested interest in expanding my expertise if I want to remain employed. I am immersed in this subject for an average of 600 hours per year, for the past 15+ years.

That's nearly 10,000 hours.

If you studied for 36 years you musty be incredibly lazy not to have learned what I learned in less than half the time.

I asked for specifics.

Banjo.