Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
21-07-2016, 10:16 AM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
I would like to hear about why BILLIONS of believer Catholic theists not buying that James was really Jesus' brother, makes them as ''dishonest" as atheists.

Dodgy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2016, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2016 10:28 AM by Tomasia.)
(21-07-2016 10:08 AM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  As for citing the law as i said it not a law it's a theological principle turned into a custom but it's based on laws about cleanliness. the dead,,pork,shellfish,manstral blood,shit,are all unclean and anything touched or around them will also be unclean. Which is why if you bury the dead near by you tainting you home and your lands with unclean things which means evil spirts ,demons, bad omens, will come . So it either has to be burnt or cleansed but cleansing was expensive so the cheapest way was to bury outside the town. But in the holy city it's different as the city as it founded and graced by holy blood. And thus cleansing is a way of making sure we not sticking our filthy corpses uncleaned in gods nice clean holy dirt. and being holy and the corpse being clensed keeps the evil away .

so yeah

Okay, so you admit there is no governing rule as to how far burial site need to be located, indicating distance, how far from a residence that burial site need to be to keep evil spirits, demons, bad omens away?

You have no actual rules, guidelines to turn to, so that I can check whether or not the local Jewish cemeteries in my area have been compliant either? Nothing any of the Jewish written sources anywhere were Jewish community could turn to, how far a burial site need to be placed away from a residential area?

Is that correct?

Quote:First off the majority of your objections are just personal attacks on Rene yup hes not an archaeologist that doesn't matter really deal with his actual objections not his credentials as for writing a book against the existence of Nazareth that still doesn't deal with his arguments as for not linking the article nor quoting it why should he? how will that effect what he's arguing ?Why should the head Archaeologist instantly be given unquestioning credibility and what they say shouldn't be ex aimed?.as for the email the fact that the author chooses to remain unnamed dose not take away from the argument in the email nor dose the authors endorsement of Rene's book .so your just spinning wheels attack the man and the arguments.

Rene Salm makes an unsupported claim as to whats in the AAI report, no quotes, links or otherwise from the report were provided to confirm whether what he said was true or not in regards to the report. I cited the actual director of the dig, so I think he knows what was uncovered in that area, a bit more than Rene Salm.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
21-07-2016, 10:46 AM
The Nazar is the Eye of Horus: http://consciousreporter.com/spiritualit...eeing-eye/

Someone who is a follower of Horus would therefore be a Nazarene. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazarene_(sect)

I suppose the idea that the Nazar represents a historical, religious idea and that someone would be called a "Nazarene" because they worshipped the "eye of Horus" is pretty outlandish, when its so much easier to say that a Nazarene is someone who comes from a town calle Nazareth. And Nazareth was presumably NOT named after the Nazar. Probably some Italian guy called Nazario Vespucci visited the place so they named it after him. lol

I really have to say that reading what is posted here about whether there is some place called Nazareth is like watching people hit each other in the faces with two by fours.
21-07-2016, 10:47 AM
(21-07-2016 10:16 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I would like to hear about why BILLIONS of believer Catholic theists not buying that James was really Jesus' brother, makes them as ''dishonest" as atheists.

Dodgy

Since you refused to answer several of the questions I asked of you multiple times, such as whether Marcus Borg, John Dominic Crosson, Donald Trump are Christian or not, I'm not sure why you think I should answer your questions?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
21-07-2016, 10:54 AM
Sigh

it is a rule it's a custom and no there is no specific length but as i said no one would take the risk and would go on the safe side and put a graveyard as far as possible from the village this would be especially likely in ancient times when demons and the like were thought to be very physical very tangible things.

sigh

Most Jewish customs are not written (because there not laws) there common sense practices passed from generation to generation but there based on the spirt of laws like the dead being unclean thus needing to be isolated or cleansed in modern times the later is standard so this custom is mostly moot

It doesn't need to be written to be considered fact i mean if you believed for fact that the dead are tainted and would attract evil to your home and had no specific instruction on length would for the village and you lacked the funds to cleanse them a thing no small village could afford would you

A) build your house right near the source of the evil
B)move the source as far as humanly possible from your home
i thinking the commonsense answer stands

[Image: giphy.gif]
21-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Here is how it works.

The Old Testament says that Abraham came from Ur. This place is now called Sanliurfu and is in what was then Armenia. Abraham was therefore an Armenian. Wiki: According to Jewish and Muslim tradition, Urfa is Ur Kasdim, the hometown of Abraham. This identification was disputed by Leonard Woolley, the excavator of the Sumerian city of Ur in 1927 and scholars remain divided on the issue. Urfa is also one of several cities that have traditions associated with Job.

For the Armenians, Urfa is considered a holy place"

Jospephus wrote that the Jews, ie., Abraham came from Armenia. He identifies them as the Hyksos who he says left Egypt and built Jerusalem: http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily...he-hyksos/

"Josephus, the patriotic Jewish historian, who believed that the Hyksos were "the children of Israel", quoted Manetho as saying that "they were a people of ignoble race who had confidence to invade our country, which they subdued easily without having to fight a battle. They set our towns on fire; they destroyed the temples of the gods, and caused the people to suffer every kind of barbarity. During the entire period of their dynasty they waged war against the people of Egypt, desiring to exterminate the whole race. . . . The foreigners were called Hyksos, which signifies 'Shepherd Kings'."

These people settle north east of Cairo and when they left they went along a route which came to be known as Horus Road and built Herusalem.

Christianity is based on a story of someone "born into" a religion which had a messianic figure. Jesus did not create this, nor did he create the idea of crucifixion or the idea of virgin birth. All these ideas predate him and go back to a religion "out of Egypt". The whole mythology around this religion is that of the cult of Horus, with Horus, the son of Osiris and Isis.

What happens on this site, and with people like S. Acharya, is that, because there was a pre-existing mythology from the Egyptian religion into which Jesus is born, it is then argued that Jesus himself is a mythological character because, "hey look, there's no historical record of him, at the time of Pontius Pilate". Then, say the proponents of this idea, the problem is solved. No one need look any further. All is explained and every historian for the past 2000 years has got it wrong. People back then just couldn't tell the difference between a real historical figure and a mythological character. Nope!

What they fail to consider is that Christianity is a Hellenistic religion in which the central concepts are important, not rituals and blind adherence to them. It is, at its core, reason based so we can ignore the myths, magic and rituals of the people in the story and focus on the moral message. And they fail to consider that it is written up some time later, under Roman domination of Judea, in Greek, and then pushed on the populace of Judea and Anatolia, under Roman rule, and then adopted as the state religion of Rome.

The problem is what some people here call "presentism". We can't, culturally, contest Judaism. It has become politically incorrect, since the Second World War, to say anything critical of Judaism or Jewish views on history. So, we have to accept that the way Jewish people present now is how they presented back then. So, they can't have been Armenians, Hyksos, Horus worshipping rulers of Egypt who were chased out of the country and set up in Herusalem. In consequence, we have to say that Jesus was born a "Jew" as we know them today, wore a skull cap, went to the Synagogue, etc., that all the symbolism and mythology associated with Christianity just sprung into existence when Jesus was born, had no reference at all to any existing religion and then, if there was a pre-existing mythology in which there was a "Christos" or similar figure, then Christianity must be entirely a myth and a hoax.

That, unfortunately, is the cultural skew which we live with, thanks to one A. Hitler.
21-07-2016, 11:41 AM
As for you second remark Tommy as i said it doesn't matter weather or not he cited the article(we could easily look that up ourselves)as for the second objection again why should they get instant credibility what do they back there claims up with and yes rene dose back his objections to the finds if you compare the two so your attacks are themselves unfounded

[Image: giphy.gif]
21-07-2016, 11:44 AM
(21-07-2016 10:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 10:16 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I would like to hear about why BILLIONS of believer Catholic theists not buying that James was really Jesus' brother, makes them as ''dishonest" as atheists.

Dodgy

Since you refused to answer several of the questions I asked of you multiple times, such as whether Marcus Borg, John Dominic Crosson, Donald Trump are Christian or not, I'm not sure why you think I should answer your questions?

Try to keep up, and pay attention. It's JD Crossan. Your question is irrelevant.
I don't know any of these people. As far as I know, none of them have said they need no Jebus for Christianity to be valid for them.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-07-2016, 11:47 AM
(21-07-2016 11:15 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Here is how it works.

The Old Testament says that Abraham came from Ur. This place is now called Sanliurfu and is in what was then Armenia. Abraham was therefore an Armenian.

No. That's not "how it works".
Abraham was a myth. Totally a myth. He 'came from' nowhere. For his journey from Ur to Canaan, a number of things would have had to be different, including the use of domesticated camels. That is impossible. Proven by archaeology. You REALLY need top learn some History, before you connect these imaginary dots and cook up more fiction.

Josephus bought the entire, (now debunked) Biblical narrative of Israel. He had NO WAY to know what archaeology would discover thousands of years later. Stop repeating this debunked bullshit.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-07-2016, 11:50 AM
(21-07-2016 10:46 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  The Nazar is the Eye of Horus: http://consciousreporter.com/spiritualit...eeing-eye/

Someone who is a follower of Horus would therefore be a Nazarene. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazarene_(sect)

I suppose the idea that the Nazar represents a historical, religious idea and that someone would be called a "Nazarene" because they worshipped the "eye of Horus" is pretty outlandish, when its so much easier to say that a Nazarene is someone who comes from a town calle Nazareth. And Nazareth was presumably NOT named after the Nazar. Probably some Italian guy called Nazario Vespucci visited the place so they named it after him. lol

I really have to say that reading what is posted here about whether there is some place called Nazareth is like watching people hit each other in the faces with two by fours.

Wrong. What a joke. More Horus bullshit. Take a class.
(Not 2 / 4's ... more like nerf balls)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazirite

You are obsessed. Go get help and take some pills. And don't lock any more people up.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post