Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
21-07-2016, 12:07 PM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(21-07-2016 10:54 AM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  It doesn't need to be written to be considered fact i mean if you believed for fact that the dead are tainted and would attract evil to your home and had no specific instruction on length would for the village and you lacked the funds to cleanse them a thing no small village could afford would you

A) build your house right near the source of the evil
B)move the source as far as humanly possible from your home
i thinking the commonsense answer stands

The same can be said of our culture today, that we don't tend to place graves in our back yard. If you ran across someone who buried their mother in their back yard, we'd all probably find it rather odd. If there was a house on sale overlooking a graveyard, most people would would have some reservations about that.

We like to keep it an some comfortable distance.

There no actual prohibition, but just a sort of unofficial rule of thumb, that seems to hold whether you're jewish, christian or otherwise, that we tend to like our dead close enough that we can visit their grave site, but not so close that their right outside our window.

So when you mentions Jewish practices here in regards to grave placement, it seems no different than the practices of everyone else, at least when it comes to distance.

But let's ask the question how many kilometers away from a residential area, should a jewish grave site be placed, to insure the demons don't come over for late night visits? Would a kilometer away do? Or is that still too close. What would be the minimum distance you imagine a Jew would want to bury their loved ones away from where they live?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2016, 12:16 PM
(20-07-2016 03:01 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 02:47 PM)ohio_drg Wrote:  So basically you are calling an oral story passed down for a few generations and then supposedly transcribed perfectly as evidence for your position.

Ummm no?

You are. And that's what uneducated people do.

Tacitus lists the sources for his Annals countless times, which includes the official Roman records and the historical narratives of previous authors. He can be seen accessing these records at the very beginning of the story in question, and in paragraphs before and immediately after the section on Christ.

Okay, so you don't like the idea that Jesus may actually have existed. But you don't need to lie about what my position is, especially when my position has been stated in abundance through this discussion.

Further continuance of it will place you on ignore, as I have little to no tolerance for liars.

Nice ad hominem. Really helps to support your argument. Facepalm

I did not lie about your position. I gave my opinion of it.

I was referring to Tacitus in reference to the Title of this thread. Given the time period Tacitus wrote what he did he is definitely not writing a contemporary account.

What he says may or may not be true. However, it is not contemporary.

I do find it interesting that you go out of your way to insult me personally. Yet have the nerve to threaten to place me on ignore. I have sat here and read multiple posts of you attacking/insulting people. I did not attack you, I disagree with your opinion but apparently that alone is enough reason for you to be insulting to me. Quite interesting behavior given your claimed level of education.
[+] 3 users Like ohio_drg's post
21-07-2016, 12:20 PM
(21-07-2016 12:16 PM)ohio_drg Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 03:01 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  Ummm no?

You are. And that's what uneducated people do.

Tacitus lists the sources for his Annals countless times, which includes the official Roman records and the historical narratives of previous authors. He can be seen accessing these records at the very beginning of the story in question, and in paragraphs before and immediately after the section on Christ.

Okay, so you don't like the idea that Jesus may actually have existed. But you don't need to lie about what my position is, especially when my position has been stated in abundance through this discussion.

Further continuance of it will place you on ignore, as I have little to no tolerance for liars.

Nice ad hominem. Really helps to support your argument. Facepalm

I was referring to Tacitus in reference to the Title of this thread. Given the time period Tacitus wrote what he did he is definitely not writing a contemporary account.

I do find it interesting that you go out of your way to insult me personally. Yet have the nerve to threaten to place me on ignore. I have sat here and read multiple posts of you attacking/insulting people. I did not attack you, I disagree with your opinion but apparently that alone is enough reason for you to be insulting to me. Quite interesting behavior given your claimed level of education.

You are full of fucking shit and still lying. You spoke to ME and said that I was "calling an oral story passed down for a few generations and then supposedly transcribed perfectly as evidence for your position."

"So basically you are calling an oral story passed down for a few generations and then supposedly transcribed perfectly as evidence for your position."

Fuck off liar. Ignored.
21-07-2016, 12:21 PM
(21-07-2016 12:07 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The same can be said of our culture today, that we don't tend to place graves in our back yard.

Not in the US. AFAIK it is illegal to bury a corpse in a place other than a cemetery.

ETA:
Also, now that cremations are increasingly popular, it is becoming more common to keep the ashes of a loved one in one's home.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
21-07-2016, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2016 12:30 PM by Tomasia.)
(21-07-2016 11:41 AM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  As for you second remark Tommy as i said it doesn't matter weather or not he cited the article(we could easily look that up ourselves)as for the second objection again why should they get instant credibility what do they back there claims up with and yes rene dose back his objections to the finds if you compare the two so your attacks are themselves unfounded

Uhm, because they're the ones who conducted the dig, who uncovered the items at the site, who composed the report themselves. I assume the individuals who were there first hand, who conducted the dig and wrote their observations, know more about their own report, than Salm.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
21-07-2016, 12:29 PM
(21-07-2016 12:20 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 12:16 PM)ohio_drg Wrote:  Nice ad hominem. Really helps to support your argument. Facepalm

You are full of fucking shit and still lying. You spoke to ME and said that I was "calling an oral story passed down for a few generations and then supposedly transcribed perfectly as evidence for your position."

"So basically you are calling an oral story passed down for a few generations and then supposedly transcribed perfectly as evidence for your position."

Fuck off liar. Ignored.
Once again you completely miss the point. Not all that surprising. What were the sources... Some roman records (that no longer exist) and other narratives of previous authors. Sorry this is nothing absolute, it is interesting and compelling for some but it does nothing for me.
21-07-2016, 12:30 PM
(21-07-2016 12:20 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  You are full of fucking shit and still lying. You spoke to ME and said that I was "calling an oral story passed down for a few generations and then supposedly transcribed perfectly as evidence for your position."

Fuck off liar. Ignored.

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to show you a proper response from an educated individual with a Master's Degree in the topic at hand. Thumbsup

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-07-2016, 12:36 PM
(21-07-2016 12:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to show you a proper response from an educated individual with a Master's Degree in the topic at hand. Thumbsup

Shut your sanctimonious ass up.

21-07-2016, 12:37 PM
(21-07-2016 12:36 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 12:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to show you a proper response from an educated individual with a Master's Degree in the topic at hand. Thumbsup

Shut your sanctimonious ass up.

Jebus no likey that shit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-07-2016, 12:40 PM
(21-07-2016 12:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 12:36 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Shut your sanctimonious ass up.

Jebus no likey that shit.

Spoken like a true child prodigy attending an Ivy League PhD program, and part time Eileen Ford's model. When do you have the time?