Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
21-07-2016, 01:02 PM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(21-07-2016 12:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 12:36 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Shut your sanctimonious ass up.

How very Christian of you.

I'm sure that's preferable to stoning you.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2016, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2016 01:09 PM by Fatbaldhobbit.)
(21-07-2016 12:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 12:21 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Not in the US. AFAIK it is illegal to bury a corpse in a place other than a cemetery.

Nope. Except for Washington, Indiana, and California.

I stand corrected.

ETA: As far as backyard burials...

Ask the Harris family how well that worked out... Tongue

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
21-07-2016, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2016 01:19 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-07-2016 01:01 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 12:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Not at all. It is precisely the response I would expect from an atheist. But I find it hypocritical for a theist to adopt the tactics of an atheist. Are you sure you're a good Christian? 'Cause you don't sound like one. There are more atheists around here who are more Christian than you.

Really? To quote your exact words: " from an educated individual with a Master's Degree". If it was his theistic association, than I'm not sure why you highlighted his education and degree in relationship to his behavior, rather than his theism.

And are saying you expect atheists to behave like assholes, but not theists ?

You have already demonstrated that theists are more than capable of being complete assholes. But as a Christian atheist I do expect more from those claiming to be Christians.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-07-2016, 01:07 PM
(21-07-2016 01:02 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 12:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  How very Christian of you.

Nah, stoning is more of a Jewish thing. Christians preferred burning.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
21-07-2016, 01:12 PM
(21-07-2016 01:02 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 12:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  How very Christian of you.

Give it a go. Boy.

[Image: jesussumo.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-07-2016, 01:19 PM
(21-07-2016 01:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Not theists. You have already demonstrated that. But as a Christian atheist I do expect more from those claiming to be Christians.

No, you don't expect more from them. We have 2000 years of christian history, burning, mutilating, torturing, raping, pillaging, etc.. which leaves no room for such expectations.

What you want is to feel sanctimonious.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
21-07-2016, 01:27 PM
(21-07-2016 01:19 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  What you want is to feel sanctimonious.

Got an appointment with the witch doctor this afternoon. I'll bring it up with the Hindu.

Me: Dude on the forum I frequent says I have a need to feel sanctimonius.
Witch Doctor: I haven't seen even a hint of arrogance or egotism from you and I've been treating you for years now.
Me: But aren't there any pharmacueticals which would suppress this need to feel sanctimonius?
Witch Doctor: So what day and time is good for you next month?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-07-2016, 01:57 PM
(21-07-2016 01:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 01:19 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  What you want is to feel sanctimonious.

Got an appointment with the witch doctor this afternoon. I'll bring it up with the Hindu.

Me: Dude on the forum I frequent says I have a need to feel sanctimonius.
Witch Doctor: I haven't seen even a hint of arrogance or egotism from you and I've been treating you for years now.
Me: But aren't there any pharmacueticals which would suppress this need to feel sanctimonius?
Witch Doctor: So what day and time is good for you next month?

Perhaps you should ask your doctor why you participate in a thread, with numerous post, that have next to nothing to actually do with any of the variety of topics being discussed regarding history, and almost always have to do with the poster's themselves, and their behavior, itching to point out how supposed christians and theists are behaving less than your expectations of them.

What other role is this serving, than coddling whatever sense of moral ego that you see as rising above it all?

21-07-2016, 02:01 PM
(21-07-2016 12:07 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 10:54 AM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  It doesn't need to be written to be considered fact i mean if you believed for fact that the dead are tainted and would attract evil to your home and had no specific instruction on length would for the village and you lacked the funds to cleanse them a thing no small village could afford would you

A) build your house right near the source of the evil
B)move the source as far as humanly possible from your home
i thinking the commonsense answer stands

The same can be said of our culture today, that we don't tend to place graves in our back yard. If you ran across someone who buried their mother in their back yard, we'd all probably find it rather odd. If there was a house on sale overlooking a graveyard, most people would would have some reservations about that.

That's not the same thing people it wasn't just "a sense of discomfort " it's litterly believing the forces of sin and darkness are next door or even ten blocks down and if we don't get this corpse out from among us shit will get real

Quote:We like to keep it an some comfortable distance.

Again it's has nothing to do with comfort it's avoided having your face nomed by Jewish mythologies and folklore lovely assortment of specters and generally being near sin made manifest

Quote:There no actual prohibition, but just a sort of unofficial rule of thumb, that seems to hold whether you're jewish, christian or otherwise, that we tend to like our dead close enough that we can visit their grave site, but not so close that their right outside our window.

In modern times nope as i said cleansing rituals are standard so the grave yard can be right next door because the body has been cleaned

Second visiting the dead has never really been big among Jews except as i said Jerusalem for the same reasons in fact it's only been popular in the later years i highly doubt ancient Jews would have placed much value on it after all the body must be honored but the essence is what counts who would risk the darkness to see someone your going to see soon anyway

Quote:So when you mentions Jewish practices here in regards to grave placement, it seems no different than the practices of everyone else, at least when it comes to distance.

accept that it isn't see below

But let's ask the question how many kilometers away from a residential area, should a Jewish grave site be placed, to insure the demons don't come over for late night visits? Would a kilometer away do? Or is that still too close. What would be the minimum distance you imagine a Jew would want to bury their loved ones away from where they live?

your question about distance is like asking me if a large bomb was placed in a spot and you know it was going to be placed on that spot and there was no way to stop it would and you had no idea how far the blast radius or fallout if any would you

A) make sure to build you home and your crops as far from that spot as you think the blast radius might be then build further just encase your wrong

B) take the risk of questioning the blast radius of the explosives and demand a ridged mathematical distance of how far the graves must be away from the village before taking action

Note historically this was a massively makeshift system that was mostly trial and error( which is why cleansing is now a common thing) and indeed you may still get the occasional unearthly visit because the graves are not far enough away the general wisdom became if you start seeing your cousin Joshua walking around at night and he seems a bit more demonic then before the graves aren't far enough away and some fucked up the graves have to be moved or the village dose or we endure josh's demonic visits and endure death horror and plague and living in the presence of super epic concentrated evil

[Image: giphy.gif]
21-07-2016, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2016 02:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-07-2016 01:57 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Perhaps you should ask your doctor why you participate in a thread, with numerous post, that have next to nothing to actually do with any of the variety of topics being discussed regarding history, and almost always have to do with the poster's themselves, and their behavior, itching to point out how supposed christians and theists are behaving less than your expectations of them.

What other role is this serving, than coddling whatever sense of moral ego that you see as rising above it all?

I already know the answer to that. I do it to point out the silliness of your posts, threads, and arguments. Why do I do that? For my own amusement. Sue me.

And Dude, how many times do I have to tell you I am amoral.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post