Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
21-07-2016, 04:20 PM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(21-07-2016 02:44 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 02:30 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I know one must read internet comments with a tone of snarky sarcasm, so I think that's how I suppose to read your post but i'm unsure.

I'm curious do you have Aspergers?

I'm trying to understand your lack of confidence in a comment that's clearly "snarky sarcasm".

Do you have trouble in general reading, or even interpreting others in ways other than in a literal sense?

I'm not trying to be offensive, I'm just curious.

I do have Dyslexia. Having been diagnosed from a young age I've had class to try to correct this as much as possible. As many people have noticed in my writing. Like my constant mistake for writing Claim out as C-L-A-M. Even with myself going over my post multiple times until the words look correctly I still miss things. Sometimes I see words in reverse, sometimes I see them jumbled.

For example:

The quick brown fox jumped the box.

I might see as

The quiet brown fox jamed the box.

or

The quick brown xof jumped the xob.

After a few passes I can usually put the sentence together. Because of this I tend to be a much more visual person. If someone shows me how to do something I can pick it up very quickly. Hearing people speak helps me as well. I can pick up on tone, and inflection. Reading it, not so much.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
21-07-2016, 04:37 PM
(21-07-2016 04:20 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 02:44 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'm curious do you have Aspergers?

I'm trying to understand your lack of confidence in a comment that's clearly "snarky sarcasm".

Do you have trouble in general reading, or even interpreting others in ways other than in a literal sense?

I do have Dyslexia. Having been diagnosed from a young age I've had class to try to correct this as much as possible. As many people have noticed in my writing. Like my constant mistake for writing Claim out as C-L-A-M. Even with myself going over my post multiple times until the words look correctly I still miss things. Sometimes I see words in reverse, sometimes I see them jumbled.

For example:

I might see as

or

After a few passes I can usually put the sentence together. Because of this I tend to be a much more visual person. If someone shows me how to do something I can pick it up very quickly. Hearing people speak helps me as well. I can pick up on tone, and inflection. Reading it, not so much.

If this is true, then forgive me for my somewhat harsh comments in my previous post to you.
21-07-2016, 04:44 PM
(21-07-2016 03:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  But here's a link, we've had our time at the rodeo, and went over various parts of your views at the time, which for the most part are entirely unevidenced, and based purely on your own imagination, rather than the available early sources.

As are yours, Tomasia.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
21-07-2016, 06:20 PM
(21-07-2016 04:20 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 02:44 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'm curious do you have Aspergers?

For example:

I might see as

or

I never knew that individuals with dyslexia have a hard time understanding jokes, and sarcasm, like in this regard those with Aspergers. I apologize if my question seemed insulting, I was genuinely curious, as to why something that seemed like obvious sarcasm to me, wasn't for you.

Thanks for being open about it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
21-07-2016, 08:22 PM
(21-07-2016 03:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 02:55 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  You haven't understood my writing. I have never claimed any Gospel didn't speak of Nazareth as a place.

Our arguments were sometime ago, close to two years ago, so I was working off of memory. But I did manage to dig and find what you previously stated:

"On (almost) every occasion that Jesus was referred to as being “of Nazareth,” the real meaning is “the Nazarene”

And I at the time quoted you verses from all fours Gospels, that clearly indicated that they were referring to a place.

But here's a link, we've had our time at the rodeo, and went over various parts of your views at the time, which for the most part are entirely unevidenced, and based purely on your own imagination, rather than the available early sources.

You didn't get what I was writing. The gospel authors, either knowingly or unknowingly, made out that their Jeebus came from a (non existent) place called Nazareth. Everyone knows that. However I think the real origin of the term "Jesus the Nazarene" or, if you like, Jesus "of Nazareth" was that he was a member of the Nazarene sect.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
21-07-2016, 09:16 PM
(21-07-2016 08:22 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  You didn't get what I was writing. The gospel authors, either knowingly or unknowingly, made out that their Jeebus came from a (non existent) place called Nazareth.

Well the problem for you is Nazareth does exist, so maybe you wanna suggest that it didn't exist at the time of Jesus.

So what would you be suggesting here, that the place that came to exist shortly after was named Nazareth as the result of the Gospel writers?

Did Nazareth exist at the time Mark was written, indicating Jesus was from Nazareth? Or just not prior to the time Mark was written?

Quote:Everyone knows that.

Not archaeologist. Even other mythicist like Carrier reject the suggestion that Nazareth didn't exist.

Quote:However I think the real origin of the term "Jesus the Nazarene" or, if you like, Jesus "of Nazareth" was that he was a member of the Nazarene sect.

Or those early followers that referred to themselves as the Nazarenes, derived their name from Jesus's hometown, or because the root of the term is branch.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
21-07-2016, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2016 09:24 PM by GirlyMan.)

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-07-2016, 09:25 PM
According to some folks, not so much focused on the concept of Nazareth but moreso about Bethlehem have believed there was actually two actual Bethlehem's and the supposed more realistic spot was just glossed over.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
21-07-2016, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2016 11:56 PM by GirlyMan.)
This shit is some of the silliest shit I've ever seen. Why don't you argue about "Winter is Coming?" or is Sauron God or the Devil? Fucking children bickering over childish matters.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-07-2016, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2016 11:28 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(21-07-2016 04:09 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 03:26 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  You are more interested in making yourself look good than in the history.

Another ad hom that avoids my point.

Quote:It is obvious that you didn't understand what I wrote about the Nazarenes, and you particularly didn't get what that means about Christianity. This topic is bigger than you.

Anything you wrote was already known by me if you gleaned it from scholarly articles, and it still has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Quote:The "shit load of crap from Wiki" is not from Wiki...it is information gleaned from years of study that I have put together for others' benefit.

And again you still avoid what i was talking about.

Now how the fuck did I know that was going to happen?

Drinking Beverage

"Your point" is wrong and not in the slightest interesting.

But...if you insist I will discuss it again...I think your "point" was this...

"Therefore, whatever the entire doctrine of the Nazarene was, it most likely died with James as he was the heir apparent to Jesus."

To which I replied, at some length, with an explanation of why this is incorrect. We know what the Nazarenes (and therefore Jesus, if he ever existed, ) believed. This is important, because it's not Christian thought.

"Anything you wrote was already known by me if you gleaned it from scholarly
articles,"

This is just terrible. Academic people, and people with genuine humility, don't talk like this about themselves. There is no "if" about what I wrote. It is there in black and white. It appears that you haven't bothered to read it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post