Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
21-07-2016, 11:43 PM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
He should put away his so-called "scholarly" shit - probably written by other theological assholes anyway and consult the primary sources. I suggest the 4th century xtian writer Epiphanius of Salamis who discussed the Nazaoreans in his Panarion, Bk 29.

Clearly, they were still an issue when Epiphanius was writing. I wonder if that is "scholarly" enough for the likes of him?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
22-07-2016, 01:34 AM
(21-07-2016 09:16 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 08:22 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  You didn't get what I was writing. The gospel authors, either knowingly or unknowingly, made out that their Jeebus came from a (non existent) place called Nazareth.

Well the problem for you is Nazareth does exist, so maybe you wanna suggest that it didn't exist at the time of Jesus.

So what would you be suggesting here, that the place that came to exist shortly after was named Nazareth as the result of the Gospel writers?

Did Nazareth exist at the time Mark was written, indicating Jesus was from Nazareth? Or just not prior to the time Mark was written?

Quote:Everyone knows that.

Not archaeologist. Even other mythicist like Carrier reject the suggestion that Nazareth didn't exist.

Quote:However I think the real origin of the term "Jesus the Nazarene" or, if you like, Jesus "of Nazareth" was that he was a member of the Nazarene sect.

Or those early followers that referred to themselves as the Nazarenes, derived their name from Jesus's hometown, or because the root of the term is branch.

Did Nazareth exist at the time Mark was written, indicating Jesus was from Nazareth? Or just not prior to the time Mark was written?

"Mark" was probably first penned in the 70's. It finished being rewritten in the fourth century. Nazareth didn't exist in the 70's.

"So what would you be suggesting here, that the place that came to exist shortly after was named Nazareth as the result of the Gospel writers?"

Yes. "Nazareth," the place was probably created in the 4th century. Look up Constantine's mum.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
22-07-2016, 01:38 AM
(21-07-2016 11:43 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  He should put away his so-called "scholarly" shit - probably written by other theological assholes anyway and consult the primary sources. I suggest the 4th century xtian writer Epiphanius of Salamis who discussed the Nazaoreans in his Panarion, Bk 29.

Clearly, they were still an issue when Epiphanius was writing. I wonder if that is "scholarly" enough for the likes of him?

Thankyou. Some common sense. He won't look it up though. Some other readers might. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
22-07-2016, 06:02 AM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2016 06:10 AM by Tomasia.)
(22-07-2016 01:34 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "Mark" was probably first penned in the 70's. It finished being rewritten in the fourth century. Nazareth didn't exist in the 70's.

Ah so the part were the writer of Mark wrote of Jesus being from Nazareth, was that not penned in the 70's, are you suggesting it was later added by other writers in the fourth Century?

I'm guessing this goes for the other four Gospels as well, that all mentions of Jesus being from Nazareth, were 4th century additions to the text? If so do we have any copies of any of the four Gospels that should a disparity in how Nazareth is portrayed from other copies, that give some credence to your suggestion?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
22-07-2016, 06:23 AM
(21-07-2016 06:22 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 06:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  You seem to think there is a problem with not taking a position on something when there is insufficient evidence to do so.

There's an abundance of evidence regarding Nazareth, though most of the area hasn't been excavated, because you know people live there, the areas that have have uncovered quite bit.

In fact one other, excavation, besides the farm, revealed a house that was there at the time of Jesus. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/d...very-jesus

You're just hand waving. Being dishonest. Because like others here, you'd rather claim to lack a belief, than admit that your original suggestions were wrong, particularly when admitting you were wrong, requires acknowledging your enemies are right.

What original suggestions? You really need to stop your dishonest imputing of ideas, opinions, and claims to others.

Are you really as dishonest as this, or are you just stupid?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-07-2016, 06:26 AM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2016 06:32 AM by Tomasia.)
(22-07-2016 06:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  What original suggestions? You really need to stop your dishonest imputing of ideas, opinions, and claims to others.

Your original suggestions about their being no evidence for Nazareth existing at the time, and holding on to that that suggestion even after the variety of archaeological evidence has been pointed out. Not to mention Jewish inscriptions, of changing of the priest, indicating it's existence in that period. Even though for you archaeological evidence was the gold standard of evidence when it comes to history, yet here you are doing what you do best.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
22-07-2016, 07:04 AM
(22-07-2016 06:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-07-2016 06:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  What original suggestions? You really need to stop your dishonest imputing of ideas, opinions, and claims to others.

Your original suggestions about their being no evidence for Nazareth existing at the time, and holding on to that that suggestion even after the variety of archaeological evidence has been pointed out. Not to mention Jewish inscriptions, of changing of the priest, indicating it's existence in that period. Even though for you archaeological evidence was the gold standard of evidence when it comes to history, yet here you are doing what you do best.

I said therel is no evidence that it existed at the time required for Jesus to be from there.
All of your evidence shows something existed decades later, and that evidence is not compelling that it was a town.

Yes, I am pointing out the weaknesses and flaws in your argument.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
22-07-2016, 07:10 AM
(21-07-2016 02:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  But that doesn't answer why. What do you get out of participating in thread solely to comment on a poster's behavior? If it's not for a sense of sanctimony?

... said the man who constantly insults atheists as a group.
Facepalm

"Sanctimony" is something you are intimately involved with, Tomato.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-07-2016, 07:19 AM
(22-07-2016 07:10 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ... said the man who constantly insults atheists as a group.
Facepalm

"Sanctimony" is something you are intimately involved with, Tomato.

No, not all, I may insult atheists quite frequently, but I don't see myself as morally superior to anyone here, in fact just the exact opposite. You drop your wallet, I might just pick it up and keep it, while imagining that someone such as your would probably give it back to me.

22-07-2016, 07:25 AM
(22-07-2016 07:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  I said therel is no evidence that it existed at the time required for Jesus to be from there.
All of your evidence shows something existed decades later, and that evidence is not compelling that it was a town.

Yes, I am pointing out the weaknesses and flaws in your argument.

Actually we have evidence that existed much earlier as well, thousands of years earlier in fact.

So you'd have to argue that it disappeared during the time of Jesus, and that it appeared again shortly after the period of Jesus, is that your view? Also not sure how you want to explain the early references to it, in the Gospel writing that date as early as 70CE.