Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
23-06-2016, 08:39 AM
(23-06-2016 08:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So what. It's STILL evasion. You can't address the POINTS here. All you can do is attempt more evasion. You are unable to tell us what the unbiased sources are, and discuss Carrier's and Price's points, as you are totally IGNORANT of the period and the issues and the culture.

I addressed a variety of points here, like the one I addressed of yours regarding Philo being in Jerusalem frequently. I've addressed points raised by others here, which were just retreads of arguments by Carrier and Price and their ilk, like Paul not mentioning a historical Jesus, that Josephus James passage was in regards to a different Jesus.

I do ignore a variety of points as well, such as ones that are often the result of someone projecting some fundie beliefs on to me, or points that are not related to anything I've raised or said in the thread, like the gospels being firsthand accounts. There's only one of me, and like 20 of you, so I get to be selective, ignore points that offer nothing of value, like ones asking me to cite Tacitus and Josephus well known passages, which would take the individual less time to google, than for me to google, and then link to on a post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2016, 08:43 AM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(23-06-2016 08:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(23-06-2016 08:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So what. It's STILL evasion. You can't address the POINTS here. All you can do is attempt more evasion. You are unable to tell us what the unbiased sources are, and discuss Carrier's and Price's points, as you are totally IGNORANT of the period and the issues and the culture.

I addressed a variety of points here, like the one I addressed of yours regarding Philo being in Jerusalem frequently. I've addressed points raised by others here, which were just retreads of arguments by Carrier and Price and their ilk, like Paul not mentioning a historical Jesus, that Josephus James passage was in regards to a different Jesus.

I do ignore a variety of points as well, such as ones that are often the result of someone projecting some fundie beliefs on to me, or points that are not related to anything I've raised or said in the thread, like the gospels being firsthand accounts. There's only one of me, and like 20 of you, so I get to be selective, ignore points that offer nothing of value, like ones asking me to cite Tacitus and Josephus well known passages, which would take the individual less time to google, than for me to google, and then link to on a post.

ALL BULLSHIT. You have NO evidence Jesus existed. You have never ONCE addressed the points of Carrier or Price, in a detailed fashion. All you can do is repeatedly raise the Philo thing, again, and again, and again. I SAID I WAS WRONG. You have no sources, no evidence, no nothing, to prove your Jebus existed. ALL this crap is attempted deflected, as you have NOTHING to show us the man you worship ever existed.
You are unable to even BEGIN to discuss the matter. All you can do is talk around the issue with self-righteous generalizations about atheists, and people who are "polluted".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-06-2016, 08:46 AM
(23-06-2016 08:33 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm thinkin' we should all leave town, and leave this Jebus Clown alone with his delusions. He can tell himself how he ran us all out. Facepalm

That would be a good idea, if we could agree to just ignore each other.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
23-06-2016, 08:50 AM
(23-06-2016 08:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(23-06-2016 08:33 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm thinkin' we should all leave town, and leave this Jebus Clown alone with his delusions. He can tell himself how he ran us all out. Facepalm

That would be a good idea, if we could agree to just ignore each other.

You want us to agree to ignore you? You do realize that you can leave any fucking time you want, right? I mean, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out of the atheist forum.

Some of us rather enjoy backing you into your corner of bullshit Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
23-06-2016, 08:54 AM
(23-06-2016 08:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  There's only one of me, and like 20 of you, so I get to be selective, ignore points that offer nothing of value, like ones asking me to cite Tacitus and Josephus well known passages, which would take the individual less time to google, than for me to google, and then link to on a post.

oh. the pain. alas, I am sorely wounded. Drinking Beverage

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
23-06-2016, 08:57 AM
(23-06-2016 08:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  That would be a good idea, if we could agree to just ignore each other.

Fat chance.
It would be convenient for bullshit spewing theists, not unlike yourself, who in no way have any support for the crap they spout if I did. You STILL have not addressed ONE of Carrier's or Price's arguments. You just demonstrated you know nothing about what Paul claimed in the NT.

Prove that Jesus existed. Do it now. Or STFU.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-06-2016, 08:57 AM
(23-06-2016 08:50 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-06-2016 08:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  That would be a good idea, if we could agree to just ignore each other.

You want us to agree to ignore you? You do realize that you can leave any fucking time you want, right? I mean, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out of the atheist forum.

Some of us rather enjoy backing you into your corner of bullshit Drinking Beverage

If you enjoy my company so much, I'm not too sure why you seem so eager to show me the door?

If you're constantly trying to kick me out, it can't be that fun then can it?

23-06-2016, 08:58 AM
(23-06-2016 08:18 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 02:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  So? It is the veracity of the writings that is in question. There are many reasons not to just accept them, primarily lack of corroboration and also distance in time from alleged events.

Except a variety of details are corroborated. The James/Jesus relationship is indicated by the writer of Matthew, the writer of Mark, Paul who writes a first hand account of meeting him,

You can't use the Bible to prove the Bible. For fuck sake, Tommy. Facepalm

Quote:in fact by Josephus himself in writing of James death.

Supporting what claim?

Quote:And the Gospels didn't magically appear out of thin air, but built on a variety of earlier sources, both written and oral.

How is that relevant?

Quote:You're problem is not corroboration, but the whose corroborating it. It's more a product of your extreme skepticism than historicity itself.

No one is corroborating it. You can't use the Bible to prove the Bible.

Quote:More a product of the disease that impairs you from believing anything on topics even faintly related to religion, than of drawing conclusions. More a psychological issue than a rational dilemma.

Oh, fuck off, you delusional twat.

Quote:What you see on display in such discussions is not the astute minds of rationalist, but the erosion anti-religious tendencies have taken on your mind.

It is rational to doubt when there is scant or no evidence. You haven't got any strong evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-06-2016, 08:59 AM
(23-06-2016 08:18 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  And the Gospels didn't magically appear out of thin air, but built on a variety of earlier sources, both written and oral.

Prove it. Name them. All of them.
Then prove they were objective.

Now

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-06-2016, 09:00 AM
(23-06-2016 08:57 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(23-06-2016 08:50 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You want us to agree to ignore you? You do realize that you can leave any fucking time you want, right? I mean, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out of the atheist forum.

If you enjoy my company so much, I'm not too sure why you seem so eager to show me the door?

If you're constantly trying to kick me out, it can't be that fun then can it?

I'm constantly trying to get you to be honest about why you're here. And your continued dishonesty as well as you wanting those of us who call you on your bullshit to ignore you so you can preach without distraction, makes it all the more clear what your intentions seem to be (even if you aren't fully aware of your own intentions).

If you want people to ignore you instead of holding your feet to the fire, you're on the wrong fucking forum. So either stop bitching and moaning and address the points being raised to you, or fuck off Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post