Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
20-06-2016, 08:10 PM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(20-06-2016 07:59 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-06-2016 01:14 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  ... I want to think the person that wrote thus it has helped me out so much.

I think that the person who wrote thus was, judging by the style, GoodWithoutGod (see above link).
EDIT: And I've now done a text search to confirm it. It's post #230 in the " Share your de-conversion story" thread.

If you meant "I want thank the person who wrote this", you can do this in a number of ways:
A Private Message
Liking his post
Adding a positive comment to his Reputation Report

And put it in quotes so we can see what he said and what you may have added.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
20-06-2016, 08:34 PM
(20-06-2016 08:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(20-06-2016 07:59 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I think that the person who wrote thus was, judging by the style, GoodWithoutGod (see above link).
EDIT: And I've now done a text search to confirm it. It's post #230 in the " Share your de-conversion story" thread.

If you meant "I want thank the person who wrote this", you can do this in a number of ways:
A Private Message
Liking his post
Adding a positive comment to his Reputation Report

And put it in quotes so we can see what he said and what you may have added.

Thanks guys Smile
[+] 2 users Like purpledaisies's post
21-06-2016, 03:03 AM
(20-06-2016 01:36 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
Quote: I'm also wondering if it's reasonable to expect that there should be non biblical contemporary accounts of him

Imagine you are all powerful, and all knowing. You create a universe spanning at least 90 billion lightyears across (or so), with billions of galaxies with billions of suns each. Each sun being circled by several planets usually. Then in some backwater perfectly average galaxy you create a world full of life. Finally you take some dirt and form some kind of...muppet. You make a second one, slightly different, then you let them procreate for like...4000 years. You get pissed about whats going on down there and finally decide to fix it all by going down yourself, disguised as one of those muppets. You run around for some 30 odd years, trying to fix all this shit by doing all kinda badass awesome magic miracle stuff

but

damn, you forgot to tell someone to take pictures or notes.

Sounds pretty stupid, eh?

BowingBowingBowingBowing
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2016, 05:19 AM
I'd say that the most likely reason for the lack of contemporary accounts of this bloke called Jesus is that he simply didn't exist—as described by scribes a century later. And at that later time, his alleged "skills" were vastly magnified with the passage of time.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
21-06-2016, 05:35 AM
I was recently in the odd position of reading the CV of someone I used to know a long time ago.

My perception of the projects they were involved in was quite different from what I was reading. I was willing to accept a lot of it because I was not directly involved with every aspect of all those projects so, naturally our accounts would be different.

And of course, as it's a CV, there's going to be embellishment to make the good look better and the bad disappear.

She wrote it herself, I could tell, and I thought she was actually being quite modest in the section about her people-skills.

Had a publicist written it for her, no doubt she would have seemed even more god-like.

Drinking Beverage

21-06-2016, 11:50 AM
(21-06-2016 05:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I was recently in the odd position of reading the CV of someone I used to know a long time ago.

My perception of the projects they were involved in was quite different from what I was reading. I was willing to accept a lot of it because I was not directly involved with every aspect of all those projects so, naturally our accounts would be different.

And of course, as it's a CV, there's going to be embellishment to make the good look better and the bad disappear.

She wrote it herself, I could tell, and I thought she was actually being quite modest in the section about her people-skills.

Had a publicist written it for her, no doubt she would have seemed even more god-like.

Drinking Beverage

CV? Did I miss what this means lol? I could have I'm a spaz, could you tell me what it is please.
21-06-2016, 11:55 AM
(21-06-2016 11:50 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(21-06-2016 05:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I was recently in the odd position of reading the CV of someone I used to know a long time ago.

Drinking Beverage

CV? Did I miss what this means lol? I could have I'm a spaz, could you tell me what it is please.

CV = curriculum vitae = a brief account of a person's education, qualifications, and previous experience, typically sent with a job application. In the US, we normally call it a resume.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
21-06-2016, 11:57 AM
CV: curriculum vitae, a brief account of a person's education, qualifications, and previous experience, typically sent with a job application.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
21-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Did you guys go to the same dictionary? Tongue

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
21-06-2016, 02:48 PM
My understanding is that the CV is a short version of the resume.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man