Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
25-06-2016, 05:42 PM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
Bob is the embodiment of The Word. It's not like I have a choice. ..... godless bitches.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-06-2016, 05:43 PM
(25-06-2016 05:22 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  So when you claim this, you are lying. Call it lying for atheism. I would have dismissed it as a careless mistake on your part, but your lack of ownership begs otherwise.

Lying for atheism? Seriously? Ok here is a video of Tom Harpur an ordained priest and proponent of the Christ Myth theory detailing why he thinks Jesus never existed. If this subject interests you at all you should watch it:

Just remember that many many historians agree with his assessments but many of them are atheists or agnostics so that would make it pretty easy to dismiss them and assume they are just lying. Why would Tom Harpur lie? He is a Christian, he's just smart enough and educated enough to know Jesus was not a real person.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
25-06-2016, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2016 12:19 AM by WhiskeyDebates.)
(25-06-2016 03:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  If one thing has become apparent, it's that for the atheists here nothing is reliable.
No, unreliable things are unreliable shithead. You bring tired long debunked arguments and "sources" and it's our fault we don't buy it. We are somehow the villains because we don't share your fucking childish gullibility?
WE are using proper critical thinking, YOU are not even trying to find a problem with it.

(25-06-2016 03:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Josephus is to be distrusted
Yes for reasons already stated and entirely ignored by you.

(25-06-2016 03:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Tacitus is to be distrusted
The parts in question are and for reasons you have again completely fucking ignored.

(25-06-2016 03:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  the first hand account of Paul is to be distrusted.
Paul in general should be distrusted being either a fraud or mentally unbalanced person prone to hallucinations.

It's not that this shit ain't good enough for atheists it's that it shouldn't be good enough for anyone.

(25-06-2016 03:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Atheists here point to Philo not mentioning Jesus, yet if Philo did mention Jesus they would just claim he's not to be trusted, that he wasn't there to witness any of it. That he relied on hearsay. Because that's the pattern here.
Yes the rational and necessary usage of critical thinking and skepticism IS the pattern here. That we are not as gullible as you is not an argument in YOUR favor kiddo.

(25-06-2016 03:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's the pattern of thought borrowed from the birthers and creationist. You provide a birth certificate, and they go about the unreliability of short form birth certificates.
You haven't provided anything that is remotely close to a birth certificate, you have us construction paper with your name coloured in crayon. Again the problems with this "sources" are well known, well documented and completely fucking ignored by you. You wanna cry like a bitch about atheists or you wanna address the criticisms? So far all you have done is bitched that we even dare to have criticisms and aren't like you: taking any claim we can find and shitting our pants over the fact other people don't accept it at face value.

Just shut your stupid ignorant fucking mouth Tom, if you can't address the mountain of legitimate problems with your "sources".

(25-06-2016 03:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  What all this discussion confirms for me, is my suspicion, that there's something psychological as opposed to rational about atheists and their belief that Jesus did not exist.
What it actually confirms, again, is your fucking stupid and deaf as the majority of Atheists here DO believe a man named Jesus did exist, but you have your head so far up your own ass you can lick your own tongue so you can't be bothered to remember that. Just because the sources you provided were debunked ages ago doesn't change that many still believe he was a real person, just that these accounts aren't genuine or evidence.

If you weren't so busy trying to pat your self on the back while playing pseudo-psychologist you might actually get somewhere other than down the Yellow Brick Road with your good friend strawman. Honestly boy, enough is enough. Either deal with the problems raised or shut the absolute fuck up with your cray baby bullshit.
People raise problems and you entirely ignore them so you can pretend that all we have is a refusal to believe for no good reason. As if there is no reason to have serious doubts, and that's not reality and you know it. You have no honour boy.

(25-06-2016 03:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  That's it driven more out of a desire for Jesus to not exist, than reason.
Again most people here do believe he was a real person, so shut your trap child.

(25-06-2016 03:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's seem there's something bothersome to them about Jesus existing, though I'm not entirely sure why that is.
Maybe cause it's a lie from a dishonest scumbag? I won't speak for anyone else but I could care less if Christianity is based off a real man or not cause it's STILL a work of a fiction where it counts. Jesus being a real person or not doesn't change the fact that the Christian god is not real. No impact at all, it's still made up superstitious nonsense.
The fact that not one goddamn thing you brought to the table in anyway offers evidence for his existence doesn't change a thing and the reason it's not being accepted is because it's shit.

You wanna talk "psychological need" little boy? If Jesus is not real, I'm still an atheist. If the man was real, I'm still an atheist because his existence doesn't say sweet fuck all about a god. However YOU on the other hand....if Jesus is NOT a real person than your ENTIRE fucking world view, your whole reason for coming to this forum and being such a fucking repetitive cunt, so much of what you believe is wrong and for nothing, a total waste of your life and time. Christianity has NO legitimacy if Jesus never existed.

YOU are emotionally dependent on this outcome, and if you're wrong it shatters your world. If I'm wrong .......it's a fucking Saturday.

Just shut up Tom, just shut your mouth, cut your losses and fuck off.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
25-06-2016, 06:01 PM
(25-06-2016 05:20 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 05:16 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  You have 3 A-.

[Image: 67lc.jpg]
Heart

I know Weeping

If I ace the final exam, which I normally do, I will end up with a 96 which is a course grade of A, as usual hehe

I blame the 55-60 hour a week new job, new house with list of things I want to do to it, a tiny bit of academic burnout (4th degree in a row straight thru) and a course where the instructor is uber anal about APA formatting Dodgy Drooling Smartass

Thank goodness for ADHD and Adderall Evil_monster

I blame having to take time out to crush fucks like Tom, but still. I am disappoint. HeartBig Grin

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
25-06-2016, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2016 06:47 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(25-06-2016 08:56 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 04:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  not to mention the plethora of NT texts from multiple writers, using sources both written and oral earlier than their own writings,

We're STILL waiting to have this "plethora" to be detailed and enumerated, and how we know each one is reliable.

I suspect we will wait forever.

STILL waiting.
Still waiting for you to take on the specific points that Carrier and Price make.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-06-2016, 07:09 PM
(25-06-2016 06:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 08:56 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We're STILL waiting to have this "plethora" to be detailed and enumerated, and how we know each one is reliable.

STILL waiting.
Still waiting for you to take on the specific points that Carrier and Price make.

[Image: Waiting-for-Godot-banner1.png]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
25-06-2016, 07:38 PM
(25-06-2016 06:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 08:56 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We're STILL waiting to have this "plethora" to be detailed and enumerated, and how we know each one is reliable.

STILL waiting.

He still can't figure out why his "reliable" sources aren't reliable, much less first hand.

Basically what I'm saying is, the line you're waiting in ain't moving.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
25-06-2016, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2016 08:43 PM by TheBeardedDude.)
(25-06-2016 07:38 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 06:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  STILL waiting.

He still can't figure out why his "reliable" sources aren't reliable, much less first hand.

Basically what I'm saying is, the line you're waiting in ain't moving.

Actually it's worse than that. He can't figure out why atheists don't believe his religious myths. It is apparently fucking with his brain to confront (on an atheist forum) atheists that don't believe in the divinity of Jesus or in the Jesus character.

Gasp a literal mindfuck

(Edit to add: he does believe he knows why we don't buy into the religious drudgery though, but it's the same tired religious arguments of our minds being corrupted, etc.Tomato likes to believe he isn't like other Christians preaching on and on with their faith-based bulshit. So he engages in constant special pleading to convince himself he's different. And that literally means redefining words in order to preserve his self-image. The reality is that he is another sad and insecure theist looking for some sort of religious test to his faith by engaging with atheists on an atheist forum Drinking Beverage )

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 5 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
25-06-2016, 08:51 PM
(25-06-2016 05:43 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 05:22 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  So when you claim this, you are lying. Call it lying for atheism. I would have dismissed it as a careless mistake on your part, but your lack of ownership begs otherwise.

Lying for atheism? Seriously? Ok here is a video of Tom Harpur an ordained priest and proponent of the Christ Myth theory detailing why he thinks Jesus never existed. If this subject interests you at all you should watch it:

Just remember that many many historians agree with his assessments but many of them are atheists or agnostics so that would make it pretty easy to dismiss them and assume they are just lying. Why would Tom Harpur lie? He is a Christian, he's just smart enough and educated enough to know Jesus was not a real person.

I at a time when I was involved in the New Age movement was offered a book which purported to have sorted out the 12 actual statements actually made by Haysus in the New Testicles! I didn't buy the book offered
25-06-2016, 11:11 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2016 09:21 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(25-06-2016 03:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  the first hand account of Paul is to be distrusted.
Paul in general should be distrusted being either a fraud or mentally unbalanced person pron to hallucinations.

Yes it is. He never met Jesus. It's (therefore) NOT a "firsthand account".
There are two very different Paul's at play in the NT, not just one. They have very different philosophies. The "record" of his journeys are impossible as claimed. Everyone knows this who has taken NT 101. Supposedly he was a student of Gamaliel. Yet not one Jew mentions that such a prominent scholar left Judaism, and was a follower of Jesus.

Your constant generalizations about atheists is really old, and all you can basically cook up, and posit it's a psychological thing about atheists needing him not to have existed ... it's also presumptuous bullshit. If a source WERE reliable, it would be accepted. It doesn't matter. If he existed, he was one of the dime-a-dozed apocalyptic preachers of the day.

Quote:Atheists here point to Philo not mentioning Jesus, yet if Philo did mention Jesus they would just claim he's not to be trusted, that he wasn't there to witness any of it. That he relied on hearsay. Because that's the pattern here.

Wrong again, Preacher Man. If a non-believer (Philo) mentioned him, it would count for a lot. You have no first or even second hand reliable accounts.

(25-06-2016 03:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's the pattern of thought borrowed from the birthers and creationist. You provide a birth certificate, and they go about the unreliability of short form birth certificates.

Bullshit. Nice try. Fail. Your lame attempt to discredit REAL reasons for doubt is crap. YOU STILL HAVE never once taken on the REAL points of Carrier or Price. All you can do is is make these lame deflections and talking around the subject, but NEVER ADDRESS actual points. It's REAL skepticism. It's "borrowed" from nothing, you dishonest troll.

STILL WAITING for the "plethora of oral and written sources".
How long do we have to wait for this "plethora" Tommy Boy ?

Since you can't actually address any actual point, all you can do is go down the "atheists have a psychological problem" route. How fucking lame.
(25-06-2016 03:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  That's it driven more out of a desire for Jesus to not exist, than reason.

It would't matter. Not one bit. He didn't get the job of a messiah done. So no. More presumptuous self-righteous crap. But then, we know you think anyone who doesn't agree with your presuppositionalist garbage is "polluted" and "warped" etc etc. The fact is, you're obviously terrified your little fake Jebus world may just fall apart if no Jebus existed.

Quote:YOU are emotionally dependent on this outcome, and if you're wrong it shatters your world.

^^^^^^^ THIS. This is Tommy's problem.

The fact is, the only reason we know about the Christian cult, is that Constantine chose to use it to unify his empire. It was a political decision. Just like Alexander the Great did, just like the Persian emperor Artaxerxes did with Judaism, just like the Arabic empire did by cooking up Islam to unify their growing empire. Using religion for political reasons is a ''thing".

There were all kinds of texts, gospels and apocryphal writings that TOTALLY contradict the story that eventually "fell out" in the gospels they use today, when the church decided to cut WAY down the number of texts and gospels, to stop all the confusion. These many discarded texts were obviously just made up, (like this one : http://gnosis.org/library/inftoma.htm ) Making up shit was the MO of the day.

Tommy Boy's ranting about our demand for reliability betrays his COMPLETE ignorance of the period and all the other obviously BS texts. But then we knew that, as he can't tell us about his "plethora". Hi smaking up this "psych" stuff betrays his desperation.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post