Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
26-06-2016, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2016 09:42 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
I want to know, HERE, NOW today, EXACTLY why non-believers would rather (pretend) that a Jesus of Nazareth didn't exist.

Tommy Boy claimed we have a psychological need for that. I want to know what exactly would be different today about our lives IF he had existed, and WHY we have a need for that.

Tell us what would be different. Now. Or STFU Tomasia.
What was unique about him ?
Why was his message unique ?
What demands does his existence place on our lives TODAY ?

What possible difference does it make ?

YOU SAID we would rather he didn't exist.
At least have to balls to tell us what difference it would make for us. Not some hypothetical group you made up who care. Tell us what difference it makes TO US.
You said it makes no difference to you if he existed. Why then would it possibly matter to us ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-06-2016, 10:39 AM
(26-06-2016 09:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I want to know, HERE, NOW today, EXACTLY why non-believers would rather (pretend) that a Jesus of Nazareth didn't exist.

Not sure if you're asking us or Tomasia?

I'll gladly give my opinion, but I'd rather not clutter up the thread if you weren't asking.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
26-06-2016, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2016 12:28 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(26-06-2016 10:39 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 09:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I want to know, HERE, NOW today, EXACTLY why non-believers would rather (pretend) that a Jesus of Nazareth didn't exist.

Not sure if you're asking us or Tomasia?

I'll gladly give my opinion, but I'd rather not clutter up the thread if you weren't asking.

I'm asking Tomasia. He said it didn't matter to him if there was no real Jesus.
He said we atheists have a preference for whether he existed or not.
I want him to tell us why he thinks it would matter to us, if it doesn't matter to him.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-06-2016, 12:33 PM
(26-06-2016 11:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 10:39 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Not sure if you're asking us or Tomasia?

I'm asking Tomasia. He said it didn't matter to him if there was no real Jesus.
He said we atheists have a preference for whether he existed or not.
I want him to tell us why he thinks it would matter to us, if it doesn't matter to him.

Didn't he already state that he didn't believe atonement was a valid doctrine?

He doesn't care about whether Jesus existed or that atonement is a vital component of Christian faith.

I don't know what sort of bizarre cultish crap you've cooked up inside your brain Tomasia, but it can't be called Christian. You are destined to burn in the fiery pits of hell according to mainstream Christianity.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
26-06-2016, 01:05 PM
(25-06-2016 10:45 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  There is no record.of a synoptic Gospel being written until 78 AD. There is huge lattitude for the events in the synoptic Gospels to be about events after 33 AD.

Mythicist logic is flawed. There is nothing in the NT to date Jesus to 33 AD. Mythicists look at the historical record for a record of Pontius Pilate and find no Jesus. They conclude from this that there was therefore no such person as Jesus.

That logic is based on the idea that the New Testament is accurate and truthful about the dating of the events but inaccurate and untruthful about the much more significant aspects of the story i.e. that Jesus existed at all.

So. On the one hand the New Testament is a complete hoax and fraud, totally unreliable in its core facts and therefore a work of pure myth...based on one fact in it being absolutely true. It's just a stupid and illogical analysis.

Hey. Suppose the setting of the story in 33 AD is as deliberately false as the story about walking on water?

So you clowns cannot get your own story straight and you expect US to do it for you? Fuck off.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
26-06-2016, 01:56 PM
(25-06-2016 10:45 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  There is huge lattitude for the events in the synoptic Gospels to be about events after 33 AD.

No there isn't. There are a number of historical figures mentioned, Jewish and Roman, and we know when they lived, and held office. You don't as you know nothing about the period.

Quote:That logic is based on the idea that the New Testament is accurate and truthful about the dating of the events but inaccurate and untruthful about the much more significant aspects of the story i.e. that Jesus existed at all.

Wrong. It's ALL bullshit.

Quote:So. On the one hand the New Testament is a complete hoax and fraud, totally unreliable in its core facts and therefore a work of pure myth...based on one fact in it being absolutely true. It's just a stupid and illogical analysis.

It is stupid, and it's YOUR analysis, not the logic of those who question whether there was an actual historical figure, the nT is based on.

26-06-2016, 02:13 PM
If the answer to the OP were "yes," this thread would be three posts long.

1) Hey, are there any contemporary accounts of Jesus?

2) Yeah, here's a wikipedia page, and an archaeologist's blog, and a standard college history text, and 500k christian theists congratulating themselves.

3)Oh, cool, thx.

Instead it's nearly three hundred posts of "no, sorry" followed by "Yahuh! There's gotta be because faith and you can't read stuff right!" with more "*sigh*, no, really not." Rinse and repeat.

Popcorn
[+] 3 users Like I Am's post
26-06-2016, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2016 02:35 PM by GirlyMan.)
Hey! I'm right here. I can hear you assholes.

[Image: bear.gif]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-06-2016, 03:45 PM
(26-06-2016 02:13 PM)I Am Wrote:  Instead it's nearly three hundred posts of "no, sorry"

I don't recall saying sorry...
Consider

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
26-06-2016, 03:53 PM
(26-06-2016 03:45 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 02:13 PM)I Am Wrote:  Instead it's nearly three hundred posts of "no, sorry"

I don't recall saying sorry...
Consider

Laugh out load Please forgive my gross mischaracterization. Bowing
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post