Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
21-06-2016, 03:04 PM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(21-06-2016 02:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  My understanding is that the CV is a short version of the resume.

Can a resume be more than one page long? Because CV can be 2 or 3 pages long.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
21-06-2016, 03:30 PM
(21-06-2016 02:45 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Did you guys go to the same dictionary? Tongue

Probably. I knew that CV stood for curriculum vitae, so I just googled that phrase and copied the definition that came up. I suspect Inigo did the same.
21-06-2016, 03:36 PM
No, because he's a fictional character.

It's like asking if there are any contemporary writings of Superman.
21-06-2016, 03:54 PM
(20-06-2016 01:36 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
Quote: I'm also wondering if it's reasonable to expect that there should be non biblical contemporary accounts of him

Imagine you are all powerful, and all knowing. You create a universe spanning at least 90 billion lightyears across (or so), with billions of galaxies with billions of suns each. Each sun being circled by several planets usually. Then in some backwater perfectly average galaxy you create a world full of life. Finally you take some dirt and form some kind of...muppet. You make a second one, slightly different, then you let them procreate for like...4000 years. You get pissed about whats going on down there and finally decide to fix it all by going down yourself, disguised as one of those muppets. You run around for some 30 odd years, trying to fix all this shit by doing all kinda badass awesome magic miracle stuff

but

damn, you forgot to tell someone to take pictures or notes.

Sounds pretty stupid, eh?

[Image: 67594952.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
21-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Drive by.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-06-2016, 06:13 PM
(20-06-2016 01:14 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Nope not one shred. This is not my work. I can't remember who wrote this but it was a member here. I saved it because I can't remember a lot of info at a time so I go back to this stuff to remind me. A I want to think the person that wrote thus it has helped me out so much.

Matthew 27:51-53
King James Version (KJV)
51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

wow...so zombies...freaking ZOMBIES crawled out of the tombs and "appeared unto many"...and yet...yet...not one literate person at the time thought this was noteworthy enough to write down...nope 50 years later voila! the story is written down after having had this urban legend passed down from person to person...or perhaps completely made up at the time the BS story was fabricated. hmmmmm now a thinking person would suspect that someone at the time would have thought...wow, zombies! and put it into the written record...nope, not...one...word..in ...contemporary history.

Perhaps Philo of alexandria who was a reknown and respected historian who resided in this area during the time of jesus?...nope...but then of course, he never even mentions jesus

The early years of the Roman Republic is one of the most historically documented times in history. One of the writers alive during the time of Jesus was Philo-Judaeus (sometimes known as Philo of Alexandria).

Philo was born before the beginning of the Christian era, and lived until long after the reputed death of Christ. He wrote an account of the Jews covering the entire time that Christ is said to have existed on earth. He was living in or near Jerusalem when Christ’s miraculous birth and the Herodian massacre occurred. He was there when Christ made his triumphal entry into Jerusalem. He was there when the crucifixion happened with its attendant earthquake, supernatural darkness and resurrection of the dead took place – when Christ himself rose from the dead and in the presence of many witnesses ascended into heaven.

These amazing marvelous events which must have filled the world with amazement, had they really occurred, were all unknown to him. It was Philo who developed the doctrine of the Logos, or Word, and although this Word incarnate dwelt in that very land and in the presence of multitudes revealed himself and demonstrated his divine powers, Philo saw it not, nor apparently even heard of it.

Philo might be considered the investigative reporter of his day. He was there on location during the early first century, talking with people who should have remembered or at least heard the stories, observed, taking notes, documenting. He reported nothing about Jesus.

Odd...

Perhaps Justus..There was also a historian named Justus of Tiberius who was a native of Galilee, the homeland of Jesus. He wrote a history covering the time when Christ supposedly lived. This history is now lost, but a ninth century Christian scholar named Photius had read it and wrote: “he [Justus] makes not the least mention of the appearance of Christ, of what things happened to him, or other wonderful works that he did.”

You're welcome Smile

I love when I see people using things from my resource library, which is why I made it. Makes me feel like what I have contributed is valued. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
21-06-2016, 07:27 PM
(20-06-2016 01:36 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
Quote: I'm also wondering if it's reasonable to expect that there should be non biblical contemporary accounts of him

Imagine you are all powerful, and all knowing. You create a universe spanning at least 90 billion lightyears across (or so), with billions of galaxies with billions of suns each. Each sun being circled by several planets usually. Then in some backwater perfectly average galaxy you create a world full of life. Finally you take some dirt and form some kind of...muppet. You make a second one, slightly different, then you let them procreate for like...4000 years. You get pissed about whats going on down there and finally decide to fix it all by going down yourself, disguised as one of those muppets. You run around for some 30 odd years, trying to fix all this shit by doing all kinda badass awesome magic miracle stuff

but

damn, you forgot to tell someone to take pictures or notes.

Sounds pretty stupid, eh?

One of the top ten posts ever describing Xtianity and how insane it is.

[Image: bijtAhU.gif?zoom=2]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
21-06-2016, 07:45 PM
(20-06-2016 12:11 PM)seoq Wrote:  I'm wondering if there are any contemporary accounts of Jesus.

Why would there be any?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2016, 08:29 PM
(21-06-2016 03:04 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(21-06-2016 02:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  My understanding is that the CV is a short version of the resume.

Can a resume be more than one page long? Because CV can be 2 or 3 pages long.

Ok, I just looked it up and it's the other way around. The resume is the short one and the Vitae is the long version. My bad.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-06-2016, 01:30 AM
(21-06-2016 08:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-06-2016 03:04 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Can a resume be more than one page long? Because CV can be 2 or 3 pages long.

Ok, I just looked it up and it's the other way around. The resume is the short one and the Vitae is the long version. My bad.

I apologize for being a latin grammar-nazi in advance, but Vitae is genitiv, curriculum is the nominativ. Blush
So its a curriculum Big Grin ...of your vita (life)

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse