Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
27-06-2016, 02:27 PM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(27-06-2016 01:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  What terms are those? Please be specific.
It's about evidence; it's always about the evidence.

Evidence. That's the term. You at other points have acknowledged that the meaning of evidence is context dependent, that different fields have different understanding of that term.

Quote:I can see that people on both sides of this can reasonably infer their positions but neither side has a convincing weight of evidence.

Yea, you think reasonable inferences can be drawn without "evidence". So what makes one inference more reasonable than the other, more reasonable, than unreasonable, if it's not "evidence"?

I would assume that in order for a conclusion to be reasonable, it would have to be based on evidence, though you seem to believe that reasonable conclusions can be drawn absent of any evidence.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Drinking Beverage still waiting

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
27-06-2016, 02:53 PM
Tomasia I'm not sure what you're talking about. You claim I need to correct my error in saying that Philo was in Jerusalem shortly after the execution of Jesus... and we showed you that he was part of a delegation to Rome that occurred in 40 C.E., and he wrote about many things in Judea at the time, including stopping by the Temple there (estimated at 39 C.E., placing him there roughly 6 years after the execution of Jesus), which was the center of his religion. He would certainly have spoken to priests and family members, in the city.

So what part of that needs "correcting"? I simply fail to grasp your objection.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
27-06-2016, 03:01 PM
(27-06-2016 12:04 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  How many of them do not believe that Christ was the son of god?

Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christadelphians, Christian Scientists, Dawn Bible Students, Iglesia ni Cristo, Living Church of God, Oneness Pentecostals, Members Church of God International, Unitarian Universalist Christians, The Way International, The Church of God International and the United Church of God.

#sigh
27-06-2016, 03:45 PM
(27-06-2016 01:17 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  As far as Zeus, such question are non-sensical, as if there is suppose to be some Zeus that exists outside of the religious/pagan worldview in which he's a part of.

Just as nonsensical as any other deity.

This is typical of your dishonest bullshit.

As an atheist I do not believe there is a god or any supernatural entities.

This is not a lack of position, you lying, manipulative ass. This is what I am convinced is true.

Islam, Christianity, Mormons, Scientology, Jehovah Witnesses, Russian Orthodox, Buddhism, Hindu, Wiccan.

On what basis do you reject them and believe whatever you believe?
What evidence made you reject Islam?
What evidence made you reject Buddha?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
27-06-2016, 03:48 PM
(27-06-2016 03:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 12:04 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  How many of them do not believe that Christ was the son of god?

Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christadelphians, Christian Scientists, Dawn Bible Students, Iglesia ni Cristo, Living Church of God, Oneness Pentecostals, Members Church of God International, Unitarian Universalist Christians, The Way International, The Church of God International and the United Church of God.

I thought the mormons believed christ was the son of god?

Out of curiosity, any idea of the numbers?

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
27-06-2016, 03:53 PM
(27-06-2016 03:48 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 03:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christadelphians, Christian Scientists, Dawn Bible Students, Iglesia ni Cristo, Living Church of God, Oneness Pentecostals, Members Church of God International, Unitarian Universalist Christians, The Way International, The Church of God International and the United Church of God.

Mormons believe Christ was the son of the God Elohim, as was all of us and Lucifer, so they are "brothers" but only in the sense that we are all brothers and sisters of the spirit God and his wives who all live on another planet. Now I'd like to see the historical accounts for all that bullshit.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
27-06-2016, 03:57 PM
(27-06-2016 03:48 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 03:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christadelphians, Christian Scientists, Dawn Bible Students, Iglesia ni Cristo, Living Church of God, Oneness Pentecostals, Members Church of God International, Unitarian Universalist Christians, The Way International, The Church of God International and the United Church of God.

Have you not been following my friend Alla's posts? Mormons are not monotheistic they are poytheistic. They don't believe the idiotic notion of 3 gods in one. That's just stupid. As far as I can tell they break the absurd trinity into 3 gods. Not exactly sure what they call them but semantically I think it goes something like the Creator, the Redeemer and the Word.

#sigh
27-06-2016, 04:00 PM
(27-06-2016 03:53 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 03:48 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I thought the mormons believed christ was the son of god?

Mormons believe Christ was the son of the God Elohim, as was all of us and Lucifer, so they are "brothers" but only in the sense that we are all brothers and sisters of the spirit God and his wives who all live on another planet. Now I'd like to see the historical accounts for all that bullshit.

In some ways I think the Mormons are metaphysically more mature than many other Christian denominations. It's just they get caught up in some seriously silly complicated convoluted metaphors.

#sigh
27-06-2016, 04:06 PM
(27-06-2016 03:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 03:48 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I thought the mormons believed christ was the son of god?

Have you not been following my friend Alla's posts?

No. They make my brain hurt.

Thanks for the info. Your posts are easier to follow. Thumbsup