Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
27-06-2016, 04:11 PM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(27-06-2016 03:53 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 03:48 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I thought the mormons believed christ was the son of god?

Out of curiosity, any idea of the numbers?

Mormons believe Christ was the son of the God Elohim, as was all of us and Lucifer, so they are "brothers" but only in the sense that we are all brothers and sisters of the spirit God and his wives who all live on another planet. Now I'd like to see the historical accounts for all that bullshit.

If there are aliens, and they are visiting us, they're coming here to laugh at us...
Facepalm

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
27-06-2016, 04:12 PM
(27-06-2016 04:06 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 03:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Have you not been following my friend Alla's posts?

No. They make my brain hurt.

Thanks for the info. Your posts are easier to follow. Thumbsup

All you could EVER want to know about the BS called Mormonism is here!

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-Mormonism

Smartass

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
27-06-2016, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2016 05:30 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(27-06-2016 01:17 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Just like when you hold naturalism as true, it goes without saying that you reject, and hold all worldviews contrary to naturalism as false. The truth of one, negates the others.

Is that how you apply logic in your worldview? It isn't an all in choice. It should be a decision made after careful contemplation of all available evidence. No wonder you believe in this nonsense. You refuse to research, think and evolve your knowledge past your "I chose jebus" worldview.

Define truth tomasio.

Ones delusion does not counter all other perspectives merely because that is the delusion you chose. I am not an atheist because I decided I was a grown up and magic doesn't exist. I arrived at that logical conclusion based on YEARS of study, comparing and contrasting known information, tracing authorship, studying NT, etc. THAT is what a THINKING person does tomasio, not go all in on one worldview and reject all others without considering the evidence at hand...or in the case of your favorite mythical hero jesus, if there IS any evidence.

It makes one awful ignorant and closeminded to declare, well, I chose scientology because yeah aliens. Then when one is presented with superior counter evidence that discredits the ridiculous concept of scientology, you...if you were a scientologist, would reply, nope, I chose my truth, and my truth is xenu!

Fuck you really are a dumb ass.

and yes, to be considered a christian, regardless of which of the 40,000 different christian strains of delusion you chose, it is belief in christ as your savior, thus the name CHRISTianity.

"Christianity is an Abrahamic monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as presented in the New Testament and sacred tradition. Christianity is the world's largest religion, with over 2.4 billion adherents, known as Christians."

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 6 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
27-06-2016, 04:35 PM
(27-06-2016 02:27 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 01:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  What terms are those? Please be specific.
It's about evidence; it's always about the evidence.

Evidence. That's the term. You at other points have acknowledged that the meaning of evidence is context dependent, that different fields have different understanding of that term.

Yes. So?

Quote:
Quote:I can see that people on both sides of this can reasonably infer their positions but neither side has a convincing weight of evidence.

Yea, you think reasonable inferences can be drawn without "evidence".

Are you a fucking moron? When have I said anything but the diametric opposite?

Quote:So what makes one inference more reasonable than the other, more reasonable, than unreasonable, if it's not "evidence"?

Are you a fucking moron? It's always about the evidence.

Quote:I would assume that in order for a conclusion to be reasonable, it would have to be based on evidence, though you seem to believe that reasonable conclusions can be drawn absent of any evidence.

Are you a fucking moron? When have I said anything but the diametric opposite?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
27-06-2016, 04:43 PM
(27-06-2016 04:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 03:53 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Mormons believe Christ was the son of the God Elohim, as was all of us and Lucifer, so they are "brothers" but only in the sense that we are all brothers and sisters of the spirit God and his wives who all live on another planet. Now I'd like to see the historical accounts for all that bullshit.

In some ways I think the Mormons are metaphysically more mature than many other Christian denominations. It's just they get caught up in some seriously silly complicated convoluted metaphors.

I'd call them metaphysically childish. Be a god! Have your own planet! Don't drink coffee!
They also got caught up in some seriously silly complicated convoluted lies. *cough*Lamanites*cough*

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-06-2016, 11:30 PM
Just want to make mention, that while it took a while, Tom Tom finally showed his true colors.

He tried to convince us he wasn't just another Q or COTW, but in the end, 99.9% of our visiting believers are just like them.

Makes my respect for the likes of KC and Aliza that much higher.
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
27-06-2016, 11:46 PM
(27-06-2016 04:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'd call them metaphysically childish. Be a god!

Dude. What part of Bob is God do you not understand?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
27-06-2016, 11:47 PM
(27-06-2016 04:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'd call them metaphysically childish. Be a god!

Dude. What part of Bob is God do you not understand?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
28-06-2016, 06:21 AM
(27-06-2016 04:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  Are you a fucking moron? It's always about the evidence.

As I recall from past conversations, you claim there is no evidence for a historical Jesus, yet believe that the inferences drawn by historians like Bart Ehrman are reasonable.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
28-06-2016, 06:27 AM
(27-06-2016 02:53 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Tomasia I'm not sure what you're talking about. You claim I need to correct my error in saying that Philo was in Jerusalem shortly after the execution of Jesus... and we showed you that he was part of a delegation to Rome that occurred in 40 C.E., and he wrote about many things in Judea at the time

Yes, he was part of Embassy to Gaius. The distance between Rome and Jerusalem is 1400 miles, so you tell me, how that puts him in Jerusalem at 40 C.E. You tell me how Philo being on or around Rome equal Philo being on or around Jerusalem at that time.

[quote]including stopping by the Temple there (estimated at 39 C.E., placing him there roughly 6 years after the execution of Jesus), which was the center of his religion. He would certainly have spoken to priests and family members, in the city. [/quote[

He didn't stop by the Jerusalem temple around 39 C.E., I challenge you to go read the Embassy to Gaius, which is available for free online, for support. And when you're unable to do so, to correct yourself. And acknowledge that you were peddling a false claim.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."