Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
02-07-2016, 01:36 PM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(02-07-2016 12:54 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(02-07-2016 12:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  You are confused. The historicity of Jesus is questionable due to the absence of evidence for it.
There is simply nothing credible- no eyewitness accounts, no contemporary documents, no artifacts.

You seem to assume it is history and (wrongly) demand that it be disproven. You haven't provided enough evidence to support your assertion.

I don't assume anything. It is the consensus of qualified historians who have reviewed all the available evidence, and I agree with them because i also have reviewed all the available evidence.

And don't forget that Paul was a contemporary when wrote his view of Jesus, and tells us he was crucified. It matters not if he ever met the man or not, because it changes absolutely nothing about him being a contemporary.

Jesus of Nazareth was most likely a historical person, and he was crucified by Pontius Pilate. There is more than enough evidence to support that high degree of probability, and absolutely no direct evidence against it.

Paul had no direct knowledge of any Jesus, but thanks for pretending that he did.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
02-07-2016, 02:03 PM
So much crazy...all in one thread. No

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-07-2016, 02:15 PM
What the hell is a "militant atheist"?

Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
02-07-2016, 02:23 PM
(02-07-2016 02:15 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  What the hell is a "militant atheist"?

Consider

ABBA lovers named Brian.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
02-07-2016, 02:31 PM
(01-07-2016 10:58 AM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 10:46 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I would refine your statement a bit.

We should give precedence to reasonable possibilities when considering what may or may not be possible. The more unreasonable a possibilities the more evidence needed to support it.

Okay, so tell me what is unreasonable for a First Cause to be a being of some sort?

Howdy howdy ho. I don't think I've introduced myself yet. Hi, I'm Bob. And your username reminds me that we all go down in the end. Only thing matters is how gracefully we do it. And even that don't mean dick.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
02-07-2016, 02:33 PM
(02-07-2016 01:19 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(02-07-2016 10:32 AM)GoingUp Wrote:  My question was in regards to a particular Jesus known as Jesus of Nazareth upon whom the Christian religion is based upon. That was exceptionally obvious within the context.

You claim that there were numerous people named Jesus who were crucified at that time.

Please find me documentation to prove that position.

Good luck.

Smile

What is exceptionally obvious is your lack of academic education on theology, NT, and historicity of jesus. Don't make me beat you with the knowledge stick child. Did I imply more than one jesus was nailed to a piece of wood like an insignificant thief? no.

What I state, and can back up categorically, is no one who EVER wrote of jesus knew him. So all of the "jesus said, and jesus did" stories are based on hearsay by non-eyewitnesses. Ever played the telephone game child? Your anthropocentric perspective of a transcendental super genie and his alleged halfling spawn "false messiah" whose legend was the basis of later hubris theological pseudepigrapha driven fantasies about incarnation and atonement does not impress me as it is without evidence.. Faith, the belief in something without evidence is what you cling to like a stripper to her favorite pole. Research, trace the story back to its authorship, see the relation to older Sumerian, Crete and Greek myths that all of the major biblical stories are based upon, think, and evolve beyond the Fiction, Fantasy and Forgery that makeup the Christian cult. Endeavor to learn child, and stumble down the epistemological path to truth. Let me know when you think you have learned a few things before you bother to waste my fucking time with your amateur and childlike understanding of the subject at hand.

You implied that there were other people named Jesus who were regarded as a Messiah, presumably during that same time.

I am simply asking you for one other example, aside from Jesus of Nazareth, of any other person named Jesus who was entitled as Christ or Messaih.

In regards to my education, I will tell you this.

You are a student.

I am a teacher.

Wink
02-07-2016, 02:37 PM
(02-07-2016 01:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-07-2016 12:54 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  I don't assume anything. It is the consensus of qualified historians who have reviewed all the available evidence, and I agree with them because i also have reviewed all the available evidence.

And don't forget that Paul was a contemporary when wrote his view of Jesus, and tells us he was crucified. It matters not if he ever met the man or not, because it changes absolutely nothing about him being a contemporary.

Jesus of Nazareth was most likely a historical person, and he was crucified by Pontius Pilate. There is more than enough evidence to support that high degree of probability, and absolutely no direct evidence against it.

Paul had no direct knowledge of any Jesus, but thanks for pretending that he did.

Okay so you say he didn't meet James, Jesus' brother?
He never knew about the crucifixion of Jesus, despite mentioning it ad nausium?
He never met any of the apostles, despite writing about it?

Are you one of those kinds of people who ignores evidence too?
02-07-2016, 02:42 PM
(02-07-2016 02:33 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  I am a teacher.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
02-07-2016, 02:46 PM
(02-07-2016 01:35 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Moses never existed.

Agreed.

Quote:No one who ever wrote of jesus, knew him.

Unknown.

Quote:The Exodus never happened.

Agreed.

Quote:The mythical global flood of 2349 BCE never happened.

Agreed.

Quote:The synoptic gospels were not written by their namesakes, and are pseudonymous works.

Agreed, and neither was John written by anyone named John.

Quote:Now run along and go learn a few things and come back when you are ready to challenge me. You stumbled into theTHINKINGatheist, and I am sure you thought you were going to come in here and teach us heathens a thing or two....silly. You know why we are experts in theology? Because we have studied it, read the bible, applied analysis and comparative studies to the OT, NT and the story of jesus. You need to go back to the kiddy table where you can impress them with stories of magic.

There is virtually nothing you can teach me that I don't already know. However ...

Multa profecto ostenderet tibi quod non possum etiam Latine et Graece.
02-07-2016, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2016 04:44 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(02-07-2016 08:53 AM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 03:35 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  [i]Yes, this tired argument again which has absolutely 0% evidence for support."[/i]

There is lots of evidence that Paul never knew Jesus or Jesus' ghost. If you're genuinely interested in discussing this, I'll present it.

And regardless of whether or not Paul ever met Jesus or his ghost has absolutely nothing to do with your 0% evidence to support all the interpolations you claim.

Yes it does, because Paul obviously never met Jesus or his ghost, yet there is a very occasional passage where he claims, in a round about way, that he did. That is why myself and others think these passages are probably interpolations...they don't fit with the rest of what was written.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user