Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
12-07-2016, 09:46 AM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(11-07-2016 10:43 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 09:33 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  That's odd, Mark never came across to me as being superstitious.

Big Grin

I guess that probably is the best you can do.

Perhaps I shall take pity on you.

Then again.................

Pity? From a militant atheist/mythicist?

Your meager pittance would be meaningless in the context of this discussion, as I simply don't give a fuck.

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2016, 11:36 AM
(12-07-2016 09:43 AM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 10:03 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  If at first you don't succeed, act like a cunt. You can go now kiddo.

I don't know how you can conclude that I am being a cunt by defending against an accusation against Mark as one who is superstitious.

Big Grin

Oh sorry! I wouldn't want to confuse you as to my motives. It's because you are a cunt. Glad we could clear that up. Drinking Beverage

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
12-07-2016, 11:40 AM
(12-07-2016 11:36 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(12-07-2016 09:43 AM)GoingUp Wrote:  I don't know how you can conclude that I am being a cunt by defending against an accusation against Mark as one who is superstitious.

Big Grin

Oh sorry! I wouldn't want to confuse you as to my motives. It's because you are a cunt. Glad we could clear that up. Drinking Beverage

Absolutely, glad we could clear that up.

Thereby, a cunt I am, and a cunt I shall always be. At least if someone says to me, "Go fuck yourself," I can actually do it, being a cunt and all.

Big Grin
12-07-2016, 02:32 PM
For once we agree.

Quote:Since we have plenty of evidence of anti-Christian rhetoric dating all the way back to nearly the 1st century- with much of that anti-Christian literature speaking out against far more important things than Nazareth- the fact that no one mentions a fake story regarding a non-existent town called Nazareth- home town of Jesus- speaks loudly from its complete silence.

What anti-xtian rhetoric would that be? The first significant anti-xtian commentary we have comes from Celsus late in the 2d century.

Oh, and your boyfriend "paul" never heard of fucking nazareth, either.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
12-07-2016, 03:16 PM
(12-07-2016 02:32 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  For once we agree.

Quote:Since we have plenty of evidence of anti-Christian rhetoric dating all the way back to nearly the 1st century- with much of that anti-Christian literature speaking out against far more important things than Nazareth- the fact that no one mentions a fake story regarding a non-existent town called Nazareth- home town of Jesus- speaks loudly from its complete silence.

What anti-xtian rhetoric would that be? The first significant anti-xtian commentary we have comes from Celsus late in the 2d century.

Actually Celsus was early 2nd century. Origen discussed him later in that century.

Quote:Oh, and your boyfriend "paul" never heard of fucking nazareth, either.

You spoke to Paul did you? And from this conversation he told you that Nazareth never existed, did he?

No? Well how do you know he never heard of Nazareth? Ohhhhh yes ... you are using the time and tested mythicist method of applying the fallacious unqualified "argument from silence" here.

So let's see if you have the intellectual capacity to qualify your argument from silence as having any validity at all, by asking you a question:

Q: For what reason would Paul need to mention Nazareth?
A: ?

Go!

Big Grin
13-07-2016, 12:21 AM
I've been away a while. Forgive my lack of context.

Has anyone yet presented any evidence for the resurrection of Jesus actually occurring, or are we still in the runaround stage?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
13-07-2016, 04:55 AM
(13-07-2016 12:21 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I've been away a while. Forgive my lack of context.

Has anyone yet presented any evidence for the resurrection of Jesus actually occurring, or are we still in the runaround stage?

No. This thread has revolved around the historians who mentioned jesus and their reliability.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
13-07-2016, 11:56 AM
(13-07-2016 04:55 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(13-07-2016 12:21 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I've been away a while. Forgive my lack of context.

No. This thread has revolved around the historians who mentioned jesus and their reliability.

Oh, wonderful. I didn't miss anything relevant, then.

I'll just go back to twiddling my thumbs in the corner until something actually relevant to the idea of Jesus as divine comes up.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
13-07-2016, 04:15 PM
I far prefer an argument from silence to some bible-thumper running his mouth.

You might try it. You might be more convincing than you presently are.

Your boyfriend paul "wrote" ( or had forged in his name - bet you don't want to hear that, either - ) quite a bit of your NT and yet he never once refers to this jesus of nazareth character. Now I fully understand why you try to slough that off as nothing. It does after all relegate your entire bullshit theology to dust. Still, the fact remains that he never wrote it and the forgers who wrote in his name later on were so impressed that none of them ever slipped up once and put that into their forgeries.

That's one impressive argument from silence, sonny.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
13-07-2016, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2016 06:04 PM by GoingUp.)
(13-07-2016 04:15 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I far prefer an argument from silence to some bible-thumper running his mouth.

I prefer whatever the truth may be. An argument from silence never brings anything whatsoever to the table, unless it can be qualified with solid reasoning, and evidence to support that reasoning at the very least.

Therefore, if you are going to use an argument from silence, you would do damn well to back it up with something to qualify it as being legitimate.

And another thing, do you really think your approach to theists (and I am not a theist btw) is in any way whatsoever effective? If you are going to come across as someone full of hatred towards theists, you have no hope of furthering the cause of atheism whatsoever.

You would do well to actually study and learn how to approach theists. Therefore, I suggest you start with The Atheist Disconnect: Street Epistemology and Counter-Apologetics.

Quote:You might try it.

And be like you? So full of vitriol and hatred against religion and folks who have beliefs that reason and rationality in this respect absolutely ceases to exist, and without the ability to be emotionally detached in the interests of the application of honest objectivity?

Why would I want that? Why would anyone want that?

Quote:Your boyfriend paul "wrote" ( or had forged in his name - bet you don't want to hear that, either - ) quite a bit of your NT and yet he never once refers to this jesus of nazareth character.

So? So because Paul never brought up Nazareth it means that Nazareth doesn't exist? Let me show you what other places Paul didn't mention:

Bethlehem
Capernaum
Bethany
Nain
Bethsaida
Cana
Tiberias

And literally dozens of others. So should we also assume that these places also didn't exist because Paul never mentioned them? Many of these towns are also listed in the Gospel records along with Nazareth, so why single out Nazareth as if it means anything?

If we employ your reasoning, why not just take it step further an eliminate most of Israel as not existing in the 1st century, all because Paul never brought up these towns and villages?

Can't you see how fucking retarded you actually are, and how easy it is for anybody to demonstrate how fucking retarded you actually are? If you are not embarrassed by this remarkably simple demonstration of how easy it is to show the fallacy of your reasoning, then you are either one seriously brain damaged fuck, or you are too unintelligent to actually grasp the concept.

If you want to be so fucked up on your hatred for religion and religious folks that you become absolutely blind to the most basic ability to reason effectively as I have demonstrated you to be, then dude you go right ahead and believe whatever the fuck your internet gods (Ken Humphrey's, Earl Doherty, Richard Carrier) tell you, so that I can laugh and marvel as the sheer insanity that anti-religious zealots such as yourself so gleefully wallow in. Laughat

Now if you would be so kind as to fuck off so the rest of us can have some kind of a reasonable discussion here I'm sure many of us would greatly appreciate it.

Cool