Contradictory Beliefs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Contradictory Beliefs
I don't get how the concept of free will and God's plan doesn't convince theists that there are holes in their beliefs. A friend of mine was explaining that his religion doesn't believe in predestination because it means that God has already condemned people to hell, but that he knows what will happen because duh he's god, but then again he has a plan for everything. Shouldn't those two ideas be contradictory?

There's so many beliefs that contradict each other that theists have. The Bible was dictated word for word by God, except for the errors. Any other contradictory beliefs you've come across?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2014, 09:17 PM
RE: Contradictory Beliefs
(18-02-2014 09:11 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  I don't get how the concept of free will and God's plan doesn't convince theists that there are holes in their beliefs. A friend of mine was explaining that his religion doesn't believe in predestination because it means that God has already condemned people to hell, but that he knows what will happen because duh he's god, but then again he has a plan for everything. Shouldn't those two ideas be contradictory?

There's so many beliefs that contradict each other that theists have. The Bible was dictated word for word by God, except for the errors. Any other contradictory beliefs you've come across?

Contradictions everywhere, where to begin?

God is omnibenevolent, therefore he will give an infinite punishment to someone for a finite crime.

Thou shalt not kill, so wait here while I slay all the firstborns in Egypt.

Too many to list.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
18-02-2014, 09:50 PM
You can sort of double up on the "God's plan" contradiction by bringing in the fact that people pray seemingly constantly for God to change his plan despite it commonly being described as a perfect plan. And they believe it works.
18-02-2014, 10:02 PM
The gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John contradict several things, mass graves opening and the dead rising in 1 gospel and disagreement on Jesus' last words on the cross just before he died. ... There are loads! Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
18-02-2014, 10:25 PM
(18-02-2014 09:11 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  I don't get how the concept of free will and God's plan doesn't convince theists that there are holes in their beliefs. A friend of mine was explaining that his religion doesn't believe in predestination because it means that God has already condemned people to hell, but that he knows what will happen because duh he's god, but then again he has a plan for everything. Shouldn't those two ideas be contradictory?

The term 'free will' refers to a Greek philosophy that has been adopted into Christianity. The bible itself does not tell us we have 'free will.' Infact it says we are slaves to sin. With only one choice we can truly make. That is whether or not we wish to be redeemed of our sins.

In this sense we have a choice or will that by 'God's plan' has been purchased for us by Christ on the cross. Even so we are not 'free' to do what ever we 'will.'

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
19-02-2014, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2014 11:55 AM by IndianAtheist.)
(18-02-2014 09:11 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  I don't get how the concept of free will and God's plan doesn't convince theists that there are holes in their beliefs. Shouldn't those two ideas be contradictory
Theircognitive dissonance takes care of thatThumbsup

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
19-02-2014, 07:43 AM
(18-02-2014 10:25 PM)Drich Wrote:  The bible itself does not tell us we have 'free will.' Infact it says we are slaves to sin.

An omnibenevolent god creating us as slaves to sin and a cosy warm place called hell for those who sin.

Yet another contradiction.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
19-02-2014, 07:46 AM
The main page of The Thinking Atheist has a link to whole list

TTA website

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
19-02-2014, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2014 07:55 AM by meremortal.)
I don't know how modern christians read the old testament and come up with the all-loving god concept. That's just something they want to believe that is not at all supported by the book they supposedly believe in. Old testament god did NOT love everybody. There was all kind of smiting going down all the time. And what he commanded or allowed the Hebrews to do to other tribes as they conquered would be war crimes of the highest order today.

They claim god is "the same, yesterday, today, forever", but the gods presented in the old testament and the new testament couldn't be more different.

Oh yeah, and even if we just stick to the new testament, the fact that there is a hell, and he will send most of humanity there to suffer for all eternity does not suggest he loves everybody. At least the Calvinists are consistent.
19-02-2014, 07:55 AM
(19-02-2014 07:50 AM)meremortal Wrote:  I don't know how modern christians read the old testament and come up with the all-loving god concept. That's just something they want to believe that is not at all supported by the book they supposedly believe in. Old testament god did NOT love everybody. There was all kind of smiting going down all the time. And what he commanded or allowed the Hebrews to do to other tribes as they conquered would be war crimes of the highest order today.

They claim god is "the same, yesterday, today, forever", but the gods presented in the old testament and the new testament couldn't be more different.

They read it like a choose your own adventure style book flipping between one out of context passage to the next. Very few have ever really read the bible in a meaningful way or critically examined the stories listed therein.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense