Controlling the voters; the media's role in politics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Controlling the voters; the media's role in politics
So I used to like that the media was so involved in politics. I felt like they did all the background investigations and analysis for me so I could at least assume that the candidates weren't escaped felons or connected to terrorist groups. I felt like the media worked for the people. That was when I was young and stupid.

Without getting back into a "who controls the media" discussion, I would just like to point out another reason I don't like the media's involvement in politics. Unintentionally or not, they control the voters. They control the public opinion. More or less, they decide who wins the election. People are generally lazy and uninformed when it comes to elections. They base all their decisions on what they gather from news sources.

A while ago, Romney didn't have a chance at winning. But all the media would talk about is how he's "gaining popularity with this group" or "edging out Obama in this state." They would break out the red and blue state electoral vote software and point out exactly what states he needs to win to stay in this thing. Then they started declaring things like, "we'll assume he wins Florida and now all he needs is Ohio" and people in Florida stop thinking that he's a crazy Mormon and start assuming that everyone else in their state is voting Romney.

After the first debate, the media made sure to tell everyone that Obama looked unsure and lacked confidence, and that Romney was running away with the new polls. When I watched the debate, all I saw was 2 politicians doing the usual theatrics. But a few days after the media declaration, that's all I would hear from people I worked with and lived around. They were just parroting the same things the media was saying.

And now tonight with the second debate, the headlines are plastered with "Aggressive Obama wins this debate" and "Obama rebounds." Says who? Why are we letting the media tell us who is winning? My sister, who doesn't follow politics but trusts me and my brother to be the smart ones, recently told me that there's no way that Obama can win because "the whole country is mad at him." And I had to explain to her that she only thinks that because of constant reminders that we're "all mad at him" from Fox News and Co.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2012, 06:32 AM
Re: RE: Controlling the voters; the media's role in politics
(17-10-2012 01:06 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  They were just parroting the same things the media was saying.

" If you don't vote, its really a vote for the OTHER guy"
"Voting 3rd party is like throwing your vote away"
"There's no point for me to vote, my state is red/blue, my vote isnt counted"
"Im just voting to keep xxxxxxxxx out of office"
17-10-2012, 08:09 AM
RE: Controlling the voters; the media's role in politics
American voters are a crowd waiting to be manipulated and controlled. This is not new, and it won't change.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
18-10-2012, 11:16 AM
The media is just full of not very intelligent and not very qualified individuals, and we live in a country full of people raised not to be able to think critically and make decisions for themselves. We live in a pop culture oriented society with a hunger for sensationalism. The media is more a reflection of the people than the other way around. If we had values and standards in this country, the media would likely reflect that.

What we have, however, is a society who can say to wear tight, colorful pants is looked down upon, then a while later, pop culture will dictate that it's cool, and people will follow the fad as if they never looked down on it at one point.

The same thing happens with the media and people's views on politics. People were very favorable of Obama and rejected everything Republican in response to Bush's eight years as president and their views on his policies. Now, only four years later, some of those same people, who rejected those policies and embraced Obama, are shifting back, as if they almost forgot what happened in the first place.

The problem really is that people don't think much for themselves. The sensationalism can persuade them. Personally, I watch CNN all of the time, and the information isn't bad. What is bad is a lot of the journalism, sensationalism and antics. You can watch and get good information if you can cut through all of the bullshit. The problem is, you actually have to be able to cut through all of the bullshit, which is plentiful.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
18-10-2012, 11:28 AM
(17-10-2012 08:09 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  American voters are a crowd waiting to be manipulated and controlled. This is not new, and it won't change.

Only American voters? You're quite the idealist... Wink

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
19-10-2012, 01:56 AM
I am planning to "throw my vote away" on an indepentent. I have noticed some things in the last few elections. The main candidates constantly throw attack ad after attack ad at each other. If you research the attacks you find most if not all to be right on. When the candidates themselves talk about themselves and the good they have done, it almost always is not true. I noticed that they ignore completely the independent candidates. I have done some digging and found that they really have nothing to attack Johnson with. If you can't beat them, the best bet is not to engage in the fight. That being said, all the mainstream candidates are nothing but steaming piles of shit. From now on I am voting for the ones that are ignored, because I know they are more than likely clean.
19-10-2012, 02:06 AM
America is in the unique position that nothing on our television sets has to be accurate or correct.

The reality is that television is simply a tool by which companies make money, by catering to the largest group of people willing to watch.

A side note if our news were balanced you'd know about all the other candidates
http://www.politics1.com/p2012.htm

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
20-10-2012, 12:15 AM
(17-10-2012 08:09 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  American voters are a crowd waiting to be manipulated and controlled. This is not new, and it won't change.

You should rename yourself to infinity, because that is the only area you dwell in. Everything is either infinitely good or infinitely bad.
20-10-2012, 01:58 AM
(18-10-2012 11:28 AM)Vera Wrote:  

Only American voters? You're quite the idealist... Wink

Is this thread not fixating on American voters?

(20-10-2012 12:15 AM)Diablo Wrote:  

You should rename yourself to infinity, because that is the only area you dwell in. Everything is either infinitely good or infinitely bad.

You are infinitely stupid.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
20-10-2012, 02:55 AM
See you just proved my point!