Controversial Message From the Pope

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2016, 06:23 AM
Controversial Message From the Pope
This Video has been a very Controversial topic among christian. I am curious as to what atheist think about it. Do you think it is a good idea?

https://youtu.be/-6FfTxwTX34
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2016, 06:26 AM
RE: Controversial Message From the Pope
"I believe in love" hmm, they should see the recent topic here on love. Cool

Sounds like Pops dream scenario of his they are all right mentality.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
21-01-2016, 06:31 AM
I posted the video for you, Jason. I know some people don't like the links Big Grin

On the top of the post, you can see a little tv looking thing. Click on that and scroll to you tube or wherever the clip is from. Paste the link in the url--but delete the http:// you see in their first.

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
21-01-2016, 06:34 AM
(21-01-2016 06:23 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  This Video has been a very Controversial topic among christian. I am curious as to what atheist think about it. Do you think it is a good idea?

https://youtu.be/-6FfTxwTX34

Which? Prayer? No, that's just magical thinking.

Trying to get along with each other? Yes, that's an obviously good idea.

However, summary execution of fundamentalists of all religions would be more effective.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
21-01-2016, 06:35 AM
I think in some ways, it's a good message: "Stop fighting over bullshit, can't we all just get a long??"

At the same time, it does go directly against biblical teachings of "no gods before me" by saying *all* god(s) are the same. It also takes away from various cultures' idea of god(s) by saying they are one and the same--when in fact, they are quite different.

Edit: I think it also can reiterate the message to believers that God *does* exist and is in your heart when you are born. They will cite examples of other religions who believe in God, *their god*--even though they may call him a different name. In that sense, it perpetuates magical thinking.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
21-01-2016, 06:35 AM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2016 06:39 AM by jason_delisle.)
(21-01-2016 06:31 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I posted the video for you, Jason. I know some people don't like the links Big Grin

On the top of the post, you can see a little tv looking thing. Click on that and scroll to you tube or wherever the clip is from. Paste the link in the url--but delete the http:// you see in their first.

I posted it using the tapatalk app. I don't think it has that feature. If it does, I have not figured it out yet. But thank you. I really appreciate it.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
21-01-2016, 06:39 AM
I think the Vatican is also reaching out to atheists also. Pope Francis gave a speech and basically said that non-believers can be saved as long as they follow their conscience.
21-01-2016, 06:45 AM
(21-01-2016 06:39 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I think the Vatican is also reaching out to atheists also. Pope Francis gave a speech and basically said that non-believers can be saved as long as they follow their conscience.

I know that's how some interpreted it, but I disagree. The Pope said Catholics shouldn't condemn nonbelievers as inherently immoral just because they don't believe, but he did not go so far as to say god's going to let them into heaven. He's just said it's not a human being's job or ability to judge who gets into heaven, it's god's.

The Pope has certainly figured out a kinder, gentler way of presenting Catholic beliefs, but he hasn't changed any doctrine. I do approve of his efforts to take Jesus's recorded teachings on wealth and civil power more literally than any other Pope. I don't think the Pope is very popular in the Vatican.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
21-01-2016, 06:58 AM
(21-01-2016 06:39 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I think the Vatican is also reaching out to atheists also. Pope Francis gave a speech and basically said that non-believers can be saved as long as they follow their conscience.

Atheists can be saved? That's so cool. Except you know, fact that atheists do not need saving (nor anyone else for that matter). For me it's nothing more than PR move and judging from the internet opinion highly successful.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
21-01-2016, 07:02 AM

He said they can be saved as long as they become Catholics, he just kind of glossed over that little detail.

As far as the video goes, I'm fine with the idea of not sweating the details and trying to look at the things everybody has in common but I'd expect that video to be a failure. Believers are wrapped up in thousands of years of history telling them that their beliefs are true and other beliefs are blasphemous and that people who believe differently are tools of Satan (or however their specific religion frames it). For atheists, "we are all children of god" is an invalid starting point. That's a conclusion being offered without evidence, not a premise to begin trying to work from.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post