Controversial Message From the Pope

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2016, 06:43 AM
RE: Controversial Message From the Pope
(22-01-2016 11:46 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  So the fundamental message is... hey, all us believers, let's get together and focus on how being believers makes us loving people?

Yeah. WAY TO INCLUDE US THERE. ... also, the track record is against faith on that point. It's good that they're trying to correct course, but it also highlights that their course needed correcting in the first place.

(21-01-2016 06:39 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I think the Vatican is also reaching out to atheists also. Pope Francis gave a speech and basically said that non-believers can be saved as long as they follow their conscience.

That's not how you reach out to atheists. It's like a homeopath reaching out to James Randi by offering him 20% off of his homeopathy treatments.

If you don't know who James Randi is or his views on homeopathy, here you go:

If you want to reach out to atheists as a believer, do it like this: "You know what? Forget all this arguing over whether there's a God or a savior or so on. Let's agree to disagree on that and get down to the brass tacks of how to work together to make the world a better and more peaceful place REGARDLESS of which is true."

(21-01-2016 08:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yea Chas, next time you wanna make a low bra joke about executing people, you better spell it out for us.

No.

.... just, NO.

The phrase is "low-brow". BROW. It originates back in the time of phrenology when it was thought the shape of one's skull indicated aspects of the mind, and in particular that the shape of the forehead was an indicator of intelligence and/or sophistication. High brows were smart and sophisticated, while low brows were simple and base.

... though I will grant that a low-bra joke is probably going to be simple and base. ((Especially if it's about executing people.))

(22-01-2016 10:56 PM)Fireball Wrote:  In the words of the inimitable George Carlin, "Fuck the Pope, Fuck the Pope, Fuck the Pope!". Oh, wait, it was "Fuck the Ump, Fuck the Ump, Fuck the Ump!". Same difference. Baseball is as big a farce as the RCC, anyway.

Nope! RCC is completely baseless!
I would like to see a "low-bra" joke.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2016, 09:47 AM
(23-01-2016 05:30 AM)morondog Wrote:  ...
this particular message I feel goes a bit beyond PR and might result in a slightly *less* hatred inspiring and violent organisation.

Don't be fooled.

A unified monotheism superficially united by the concept of love? Gimme a break.

The devious bastards have formulated a plan to combat secular liberalism ... they are trying to undermine the concept of a state.

They detect a weakening of the authority of the body politic due to the rise of the new (Brave New World - technology opiated) apathetic bourgeoisie and new ruling classes (multinationals).

Nothing has changed ... they are still after power in this world while stil pretending to care only about the supernatural world.

Don't let your guard down!

Angry

/rant

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
23-01-2016, 09:59 AM
(23-01-2016 09:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
this particular message I feel goes a bit beyond PR and might result in a slightly *less* hatred inspiring and violent organisation.

Don't be fooled.

A unified monotheism superficially united by the concept of love? Gimme a break.

The devious bastards have formulated a plan to combat secular liberalism ... they are trying to undermine the concept of a state.

They detect a weakening of the authority of the body politic due to the rise of the new (Brave New World - technology opiated) apathetic bourgeoisie and new ruling classes (multinationals).

Nothing has changed ... they are still after power in this world while stil pretending to care only about the supernatural world.

Angry

/rant

I think that like the Anglican church, their teeth will be drawn and their membership will dwindle. The much softer theology they are adopting is the last struggles before it goes completely tits up. That's my hope anyway.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-01-2016, 02:39 PM
(22-01-2016 11:46 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  So the fundamental message is... hey, all us believers, let's get together and focus on how being believers makes us loving people?

Yeah. WAY TO INCLUDE US THERE. ... also, the track record is against faith on that point. It's good that they're trying to correct course, but it also highlights that their course needed correcting in the first place.

(21-01-2016 06:39 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I think the Vatican is also reaching out to atheists also. Pope Francis gave a speech and basically said that non-believers can be saved as long as they follow their conscience.

That's not how you reach out to atheists. It's like a homeopath reaching out to James Randi by offering him 20% off of his homeopathy treatments.

If you don't know who James Randi is or his views on homeopathy, here you go:

If you want to reach out to atheists as a believer, do it like this: "You know what? Forget all this arguing over whether there's a God or a savior or so on. Let's agree to disagree on that and get down to the brass tacks of how to work together to make the world a better and more peaceful place REGARDLESS of which is true."

(21-01-2016 08:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yea Chas, next time you wanna make a low bra joke about executing people, you better spell it out for us.

No.

.... just, NO.

The phrase is "low-brow". BROW. It originates back in the time of phrenology when it was thought the shape of one's skull indicated aspects of the mind, and in particular that the shape of the forehead was an indicator of intelligence and/or sophistication. High brows were smart and sophisticated, while low brows were simple and base.

... though I will grant that a low-bra joke is probably going to be simple and base. ((Especially if it's about executing people.))

(22-01-2016 10:56 PM)Fireball Wrote:  In the words of the inimitable George Carlin, "Fuck the Pope, Fuck the Pope, Fuck the Pope!". Oh, wait, it was "Fuck the Ump, Fuck the Ump, Fuck the Ump!". Same difference. Baseball is as big a farce as the RCC, anyway.

Nope! RCC is completely baseless!

ba-dump pssh! I liked this post.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
23-01-2016, 04:45 PM
(23-01-2016 09:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Don't be fooled.

Angry

/rant

Yes...thankyou BowingBowing
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user