Conversation on religion with daughter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Conversation on religion with daughter
Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with my oldest child. She is nearly 38 years old, married, and has one child (10 years old).

Jenny had been reading an article written by an atheist and was surprised when the author mentioned attending a UU church. That started and hours-long internet search beginning with wanting to know what a UU church is.

She said the second thing that popped up in her search was Seth's interview with UU members. She was impressed with the podcast. This got her searching and she found a UU church near here. Apparently they have monthly themes and this month's theme is mortality.

She and her husband have talked before about finding a community as they see the support given by churches when their friends suffer something traumatic. The conversation actually started when they had Bailey - they wondered if they should be taking her to church but then decided that would be hypocritical since they don't believe in a god.

Anyway...Jenny and her husband are going to check out the UU church...but not with Bailey yet. Bailey has attended churches with friends just like my kids did when they were young, just not on any kind of regular basis.

Jenny asked - why now - why am I thinking about this now? I said that it may well have to do with the fact that she is nearing 40 and the topic is mortality. She agreed with that.

I will be interested to see where this leads. I am confident this isn't going to lead to some sort of conversion as our conversation also proved to me that I had raised a strong skeptic when it comes to religion.

She had lots of questions for me...she wanted to know what YEC was and why atheists are seen by some Christians as angry...and the conversation meandered around to many other topics that she has never really looked into before.

I am happy to see her researching the way she was raised - without religion. I don't want any of my kids to follow my lead without being sure it's right for them.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 18 users Like Anjele's post
04-10-2015, 11:46 AM
RE: Conversation on religion with daughter
(04-10-2015 08:16 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I am happy to see her researching the way she was raised - without religion. I don't want any of my kids to follow my lead without being sure it's right for them.

This post was a huge "yay" from me! I went to a UU church in California...it was ok...I had a few smallish peeves with them.

But this last bit really resonated with me,because when my older son came to me and said he was atheist -- I worried that I had made him that way or he felt he had to be...

I quizzed him endlessly and learned he came to it completely on his own....he also said he wasn't completely sure I was an atheist...Laughat

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-10-2015, 02:30 PM
(04-10-2015 11:46 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 08:16 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I am happy to see her researching the way she was raised - without religion. I don't want any of my kids to follow my lead without being sure it's right for them.

This post was a huge "yay" from me! I went to a UU church in California...it was ok...I had a few smallish peeves with them.

But this last bit really resonated with me,because when my older son came to me and said he was atheist -- I worried that I had made him that way or he felt he had to be...

I quizzed him endlessly and learned he came to it completely on his own....he also said he wasn't completely sure I was an atheist...Laughat

Hey, I'm not completely sure either. You could be the most awesome troll ever.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
04-10-2015, 03:38 PM
(04-10-2015 11:46 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  he also said he wasn't completely sure I was an atheist...Laughat
Impressive. You must have quite the poker face Thumbsup

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
04-10-2015, 04:06 PM
What is an UU church?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
04-10-2015, 04:10 PM
(04-10-2015 04:06 PM)Banjo Wrote:  What is an UU church?

http://www.uua.org/

Daughter said when they arrived today everyone was there was quite old except for about seven people. She said that when the meeting started it was announced that they usually aren't that geriatric but most of the families were away on their semi-annual camping trip.

UU is known for accepting all.

1st Principle: The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
2nd Principle: Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
3rd Principle: Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
4th Principle: A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
5th Principle: The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
6th Principle: The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
7th Principle: Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-10-2015, 04:17 PM
It's a bit like Superman? Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
04-10-2015, 04:20 PM
My local UU church is just full of old people who rant about politics.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
04-10-2015, 04:21 PM
(04-10-2015 04:20 PM)cactus Wrote:  My local UU church is just full of old people who rant about politics.

Yeah, we old geezers do stuff like that. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-10-2015, 04:57 PM
(04-10-2015 02:30 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 11:46 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This post was a huge "yay" from me! I went to a UU church in California...it was ok...I had a few smallish peeves with them.

Hey, I'm not completely sure either. You could be the most awesome troll ever.

Can I say I love you for that??

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces