Conversation with my sister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 07:06 AM
Conversation with my sister
I was texting my Christian sister last night. We were having some sisterly banter about praying, but I think it kind of turned real near the end, because of the excessive use of LOL's.

Me: If I ever have to pray I'm gonna say "Dear gosh, thanks for the food. In jebus name, amen"

Her: If you ever pray? Right lol

Me: Lol yeah, why would I talk to myself?! Hahaha!

Her: Go pray to your monkeys lol

Me: At least monkeys are real lol

Her: Whatever lol

Me: lol jk jk

I'm pretty sure the days of fun banter with her about religion might be over, because right after that she posted this: [Image: f5713d78978239dcb914ce5302015c5e.jpg]

Damn, I loved our sisterly banter. I hate when the blasphemy guilt kicks in. We used to laugh our asses off about sarcastic, crude, and profane prayers we could say at dinner. *SIGH* Those were the days...

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2014, 07:32 AM
RE: Conversation with my sister
Frankly and I'm genuinely sorry to say this; If she's using anything said by "Dude I vaguely remember from that whole Duck Dynasty homophobia thing" as some kind of meaningful truth or a useful communicative short hand then being unable to joke with her about prayer is a symptom of a larger problem.
[+] 3 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
29-10-2014, 07:38 AM
(29-10-2014 07:32 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Frankly and I'm genuinely sorry to say this; If she's using anything said by "Dude I vaguely remember from that whole Duck Dynasty homophobia thing" as some kind of meaningful truth or a useful communicative short hand then being unable to joke with her about prayer is a symptom of a larger problem.

I agree. It's just weird because she used to express her doubts in Christianity and it seemed like she was becoming a skeptic too, but she's recently become more religious all of a sudden.

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
29-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Because hairy guys in bandanas are the correct source of what is righteous in the world Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-10-2014, 07:50 AM
(29-10-2014 07:39 AM)morondog Wrote:  Because hairy guys in bandanas are the correct source of what is righteous in the world Tongue

Lol I know! She's a huge fan of the show. I asked her if she actually believed that quote and she was like "we're all allowed to have our own opinions." Which says to me "I have no real reason to believe in this."

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
29-10-2014, 08:00 AM
(29-10-2014 07:38 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I agree. It's just weird because she used to express her doubts in Christianity and it seemed like she was becoming a skeptic too, but she's recently become more religious all of a sudden.

Might I suggest you let her, and send her a serious note apologizing for hurting her feelings? Let her know she means the world to you and it's fine if religion means more to her now.
29-10-2014, 08:01 AM
(29-10-2014 07:06 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I was texting my Christian sister last night. We were having some sisterly banter about praying, but I think it kind of turned real near the end, because of the excessive use of LOL's.

Me: If I ever have to pray I'm gonna say "Dear gosh, thanks for the food. In jebus name, amen"

Her: If you ever pray? Right lol

Me: Lol yeah, why would I talk to myself?! Hahaha!

Her: Go pray to your monkeys lol

Me: At least monkeys are real lol

Her: Whatever lol

Me: lol jk jk

I'm pretty sure the days of fun banter with her about religion might be over, because right after that she posted this: [Image: f5713d78978239dcb914ce5302015c5e.jpg]

Damn, I loved our sisterly banter. I hate when the blasphemy guilt kicks in. We used to laugh our asses off about sarcastic, crude, and profane prayers we could say at dinner. *SIGH* Those were the days...

If your sister believes that image quote, she's got a lot to learn about geography and history.

More secular nations tend to have lower crime rates than highly religious states, for instance.

The old quote: "If god has revealed himself, how is it that he has allowed so many centuries to elapse before informing the Chinese?" still rings true; the Chinese had been the foremost state for a very long time before they ever heard of Jewsus and they got a lot of work done; more than the writers of the Pentateuch could ever have dreamed of their ancestors.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
29-10-2014, 08:39 AM
(29-10-2014 07:38 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  It's just weird because she used to express her doubts in Christianity and it seemed like she was becoming a skeptic too, but she's recently become more religious all of a sudden.

That's actually pretty normal. The first time I was exposed to dissenting points of view that didn't take the form of straw-apologetics, I fought back against it. I would get in conversations, they'd raise good points where I knew my answers were special pleading, but I wanted to believe. So, I started putting religious crap up on my walls at my college apartment, started reading the Bible more, and increased my church attendance.

She's not really ready to let go, and the sometimes the rubber band snaps back pretty hard when you stretch it.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
29-10-2014, 08:44 AM
(29-10-2014 08:00 AM)TreeSapNest Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 07:38 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I agree. It's just weird because she used to express her doubts in Christianity and it seemed like she was becoming a skeptic too, but she's recently become more religious all of a sudden.

Might I suggest you let her, and send her a serious note apologizing for hurting her feelings? Let her know she means the world to you and it's fine if religion means more to her now.

Yep, I just called her and cleared the air. I told her that we may have a difference of opinions but one thing we have in common is we love each other and we want to have a good relationship.

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
29-10-2014, 08:52 AM
(29-10-2014 08:39 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 07:38 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  It's just weird because she used to express her doubts in Christianity and it seemed like she was becoming a skeptic too, but she's recently become more religious all of a sudden.

That's actually pretty normal. The first time I was exposed to dissenting points of view that didn't take the form of straw-apologetics, I fought back against it. I would get in conversations, they'd raise good points where I knew my answers were special pleading, but I wanted to believe. So, I started putting religious crap up on my walls at my college apartment, started reading the Bible more, and increased my church attendance.

She's not really ready to let go, and the sometimes the rubber band snaps back pretty hard when you stretch it.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. It can be terrifying to doubt. I remember a Christian friend of mine pointing out that the world is so big, how do we know we picked the right religion? That thought sent so much fear through me, that it just made me pray more and have more "faith." It definitely takes time.
I told my sister that I get why she's a Christian because I was once one too.

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post