Conversation with my sister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 09:02 AM
RE: Conversation with my sister
In your next banter session tell her that you agree with her ducky friend. Some christians see people who don't believe in jesus as evil and that's a big problem.

Some muslims want to kill those who don't believe in allah and that's a bigger problem.

As far as prayer goes. I like saying that prayer is when you don't have faith in gods plan and that's why you are asking him to change his plan.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
29-10-2014, 09:16 AM
I know a very good prayer to give to monkeys.

"Lemonade? Well thank Heaven for monkeys!"

It has been tested and results have delivered positive results.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
29-10-2014, 10:01 AM

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
29-10-2014, 10:25 AM
(29-10-2014 08:52 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 08:39 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  That's actually pretty normal. The first time I was exposed to dissenting points of view that didn't take the form of straw-apologetics, I fought back against it. I would get in conversations, they'd raise good points where I knew my answers were special pleading, but I wanted to believe. So, I started putting religious crap up on my walls at my college apartment, started reading the Bible more, and increased my church attendance.

She's not really ready to let go, and the sometimes the rubber band snaps back pretty hard when you stretch it.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. It can be terrifying to doubt. I remember a Christian friend of mine pointing out that the world is so big, how do we know we picked the right religion? That thought sent so much fear through me, that it just made me pray more and have more "faith." It definitely takes time.
I told my sister that I get why she's a Christian because I was once one too.
The thought of even the possibility being wrong was pretty terrifying to me as well, because it threatened my beliefs on literally EVERYTHING.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
[+] 1 user Likes Winterwolf00's post
29-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Tell her that you're concerned about offending her so you'd prefer to keep religion out of your conversations because you love her and want her to express her beliefs as she chooses. Her reaction could tell you something about where she really stands.
29-10-2014, 10:52 AM
(29-10-2014 08:44 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Yep, I just called her and cleared the air. I told her that we may have a difference of opinions but one thing we have in common is we love each other and we want to have a good relationship.

Yeah!!! :-) Chums need to be chums.
29-10-2014, 01:18 PM
(29-10-2014 10:26 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Tell her that you're concerned about offending her so you'd prefer to keep religion out of your conversations because you love her and want her to express her beliefs as she chooses. Her reaction could tell you something about where she really stands.

I talked to her today and said something along those lines. I told her I would quit the banter if it bothers her. She said she was worried about offending me. Which, I actually am less offended when people can joke and tease me about my atheism. Though, I do understand that it is no laughing matter for most religions. I'm more inclined to get offended when people get serious and want to pray for me and stuff.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
29-10-2014, 01:27 PM
That's great that you mended fences with her. It sounds like she used to be a cooler about things and has gotten a bit uptight/circling the wagons. She'll come around.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user