Conversations with my daughter RE: Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2017, 02:44 AM
Conversations with my daughter RE: Religion
For those that haven't seen, a huge fire has gone up inside a giant tower block of flats in London. Looks like many people have died.

Info here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40269625

In seeing this on TV and hearing about how many people have died, my daughter asked: "If you believe in god, and god should save you, why didn't gods save those people?".[I replied with "if you believe in god or not, god doesn't physically do anything, and it's up to you to 'save' yourself mate".]

She's 7 years old, and already questioning the garbage she's told, I think she'll be fine.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like OakTree500's post
14-06-2017, 02:57 AM
RE: Conversations with my daughter RE: Religion
My response to any child........and to paraphrase Epicurus:

Is God willing to prevent people dying horrible deaths, but not able? Then he is not all-powerful.

Is he able, but not willing? Then he is spiteful and bad.

Is he both able and willing? Then why do people seem to die horrible deaths?

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 9 users Like Silly Deity's post
14-06-2017, 02:58 AM
(14-06-2017 02:44 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  For those that haven't seen, a huge fire has gone up inside a giant tower block of flats in London. Looks like many people have died.

In seeing this on TV and hearing about how many people have died, my daughter asked: "If you believe in god, and god should save you, why didn't gods save those people?".[I replied with "if you believe in god or not, god doesn't physically do anything, and it's up to you to 'save' yourself mate".]

She's 7 years old, and already questioning the garbage she's told, I think she'll be fine.

It's good that she is asking questions but believers have answers at hand. Not good ones (god's plan, free will, all the usual shit) but child still can be caught in web of religious thinking.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post
14-06-2017, 03:05 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2017 03:09 AM by sea_tiger.)
(14-06-2017 02:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's good that she is asking questions but believers have answers at hand. Not good ones (god's plan, free will, all the usual shit) but child still can be caught in web of religious thinking.
Yes there's always an answer,an explanation.
[+] 2 users Like sea_tiger's post
14-06-2017, 03:15 AM
(14-06-2017 03:05 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 02:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's good that she is asking questions but believers have answers at hand. Not good ones (god's plan, free will, all the usual shit) but child still can be caught in web of religious thinking.

Religion offers neither answer nor explanations just shitty apologetic. Those who believe in benevolent god were owned by Epicurus and since then they didn't come with rebuttal worthy of consideration.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
14-06-2017, 03:26 AM
(14-06-2017 02:44 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  For those that haven't seen, a huge fire has gone up inside a giant tower block of flats in London. Looks like many people have died.

I get cha, I don't know if I would tell a 7 year old that directly. the part where" ... its up to you...". I tell my kids there is no god to save you but we will be there if we can.

I just don't know what to say to a seven year old. Relaxing them until they can process the event or tell them directly no one is coming. Huh
14-06-2017, 03:39 AM
(14-06-2017 03:05 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  

a child can be caught up in any crazy thinking by a parent. I say a "normal" is the most important notion. I do not use a belief statement about god to determine if a person is crazy or not. I look at what the person is doing.

i have yet see religion be the cause of crazy. I do see mental people expressing their beliefs in a crazy way.
14-06-2017, 03:55 AM
(14-06-2017 02:57 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  My response to any child........and to paraphrase Epicurus:

Is God willing to prevent people dying horrible deaths, but not able? Then he is not all-powerful.

Is he able, but not willing? Then he is spiteful and bad.

Is he both able and willing? Then why do people seem to die horrible deaths?

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

this I believe to be a valid line of logic. I don't use a statement about a god in determining the best category for the system we are in. Observations leads to the conclusion of something over nothing. weather we like it or not isn't a reason to claim something is there or is not there. Its just a matter of describing what is there.

God, especially the magic type, never comes into play for me. being forced to describe the system based on "active atheism" is not a valid reason either. both are worldviews deciding reality and both are warped. like all baseless belief claims.

People know there is no defence for letting atheism determine the traits and characteristics of the system we are part of. basing reality on a belief statement about god is silly. the only defence is not to address it, lie about it, hide it, or attack the person.

I claim, that both Both atheist and theist that do this are wrong.
14-06-2017, 04:12 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2017 04:15 AM by Silly Deity.)
(14-06-2017 03:55 AM)AB517 Wrote:  this I believe to be a valid line of logic. I don't use a statement about a god in determining the best category for the system we are in. Observations leads to the conclusion of something over nothing. weather we like it or not isn't a reason to claim something is there or is not there. Its just a matter of describing what is there.

God, especially the magic type, never comes into play for me. being forced to describe the system based on "active atheism" is not a valid reason either. both are worldviews deciding reality and both are warped. like all baseless belief claims.

People know there is no defence for letting atheism determine the traits and characteristics of the system we are part of. basing reality on a belief statement about god is silly. the only defence is not to address it, lie about it, hide it, or attack the person.

I claim, that both Both atheist and theist that do this are wrong.

I have absolutely no idea what any of that actually means. (I'm not sure if you do either. Or English is not your first language) Drinking Beverage

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
14-06-2017, 04:20 AM
(14-06-2017 03:39 AM)AB517 Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 03:05 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  Yes there's always an answer,an explanation.

a child can be caught up in any crazy thinking by a parent. I say a "normal" is the most important notion. I do not use a belief statement about god to determine if a person is crazy or not. I look at what the person is doing.

i have yet see religion be the cause of crazy. I do see mental people expressing their beliefs in a crazy way.

> If someone tries to explain away the deaths of people in a fire as part of God's noble plan, I'd definitely call THAT crazy behavior. Dodgy
[+] 7 users Like Gwaithmir's post