Conversations with my daughter RE: Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2017, 04:50 AM
RE: Conversations with my daughter RE: Religion
(14-06-2017 03:15 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 03:05 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  Yes there's always an answer,an explanation.

Religion offers neither answer nor explanations just shitty apologetic. Those who believe in benevolent god were owned by Epicurus and since then they didn't come with rebuttal worthy of consideration.

I think a good word is "rationalization." Theists repeatedly rationalize what they want to believe, since it is their first priority rather than honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Thoreauvian's post
14-06-2017, 08:03 AM
(14-06-2017 04:50 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 03:15 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Religion offers neither answer nor explanations just shitty apologetic. Those who believe in benevolent god were owned by Epicurus and since then they didn't come with rebuttal worthy of consideration.

I think a good word is "rationalization." Theists repeatedly rationalize what they want to believe, since it is their first priority rather than honesty.

Another good word is "brainwashing."
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
14-06-2017, 08:08 AM
(14-06-2017 03:05 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 02:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's good that she is asking questions but believers have answers at hand. Not good ones (god's plan, free will, all the usual shit) but child still can be caught in web of religious thinking.
Yes there's always an answer,an explanation.

Yes there is.

The answer is humans are fragile, life is short, and shit happens. god has jack shit to do with any of it.
[+] 5 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
14-06-2017, 04:13 PM
(14-06-2017 03:39 AM)AB517 Wrote:  i have yet see religion be the cause of crazy. I do see mental people expressing their beliefs in a crazy way.

You don't see the 9/11 attacks as an example of religion being the cause of crazy? I've often wondered if religion makes people crazy or if crazy people are drawn to religion. I've heard many people repeatedly claim that the 9/11 attacks were political statements, but would they have happened without that 72 virgins nonsense? I see the problem as people taking religious lessons and putting them into political action.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
15-06-2017, 01:25 AM
7 year old girl Wrote:If you believe in god, and god should save you, why didn't gods save those people?"
I would explained to her that when God says that He will save people He talks about different kind of salvation. We are here to die eventually. Death is important part of plan of salvation.
P.S. People die different ways.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
15-06-2017, 02:23 PM
(14-06-2017 04:13 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 03:39 AM)AB517 Wrote:  i have yet see religion be the cause of crazy. I do see mental people expressing their beliefs in a crazy way.

You don't see the 9/11 attacks as an example of religion being the cause of crazy? I've often wondered if religion makes people crazy or if crazy people are drawn to religion. I've heard many people repeatedly claim that the 9/11 attacks were political statements, but would they have happened without that 72 virgins nonsense? I see the problem as people taking religious lessons and putting them into political action.

That was definitely mental people expressing their beliefs in a crazy way.

yeah, I agree. emotional people seem to have more energy than the rest of us. I see many non religious stupid laws that have nothing to do with religion too.
15-06-2017, 02:56 PM
(15-06-2017 02:23 PM)AB517 Wrote:  emotional people seem to have more energy than the rest of us.

AB, is that you?

[Image: giphy.gif]

What, pray, is an emotional person and what are the rest of us? Are you perchance a robot? Or just an idiot with an especially bad case of verbal diarrhoea and cranial vacuum? Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
15-06-2017, 03:05 PM
(14-06-2017 03:39 AM)AB517 Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 03:05 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  Yes there's always an answer,an explanation.

a child can be caught up in any crazy thinking by a parent. I say a "normal" is the most important notion. I do not use a belief statement about god to determine if a person is crazy or not. I look at what the person is doing.

i have yet see religion be the cause of crazy. I do see mental people expressing their beliefs in a crazy way.

(14-06-2017 03:39 AM)AB517 Wrote:  i have yet see religion be the cause of crazy.

You don't get out much then, do you?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-06-2017, 03:39 PM
(15-06-2017 02:23 PM)AB517 Wrote:  That was definitely mental people expressing their beliefs in a crazy way.

Not just mental people, but religious mental people.
16-06-2017, 03:46 AM
(15-06-2017 02:56 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(15-06-2017 02:23 PM)AB517 Wrote:  emotional people seem to have more energy than the rest of us.

AB, is that you?

[Image: giphy.gif]

What, pray, is an emotional person and what are the rest of us? Are you perchance a robot? Or just an idiot with an especially bad case of verbal diarrhoea and cranial vacuum? Drinking Beverage

I am not sure what I said that was offensive in that post. Cherry picking a few words does not convey the meaning in my post.

If you mean that I need to add some more compassion in my views you will get no arguement from me.

yeah, that's definitely me