Conversations with my daughter RE: Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2017, 03:50 AM
RE: Conversations with my daughter RE: Religion
(15-06-2017 03:39 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(15-06-2017 02:23 PM)AB517 Wrote:  That was definitely mental people expressing their beliefs in a crazy way.

Not just mental people, but religious mental people.

mental is mental.

The expression of any particular belief will indicate a brain state or state of mind. So "rational" theists would be religious rational people. rational people are rational people. That's why big religion is shrinking.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2017, 03:59 AM
(15-06-2017 03:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 03:39 AM)AB517 Wrote:  a child can be caught up in any crazy thinking by a parent. I say a "normal" is the most important notion. I do not use a belief statement about god to determine if a person is crazy or not. I look at what the person is doing.

i have yet see religion be the cause of crazy. I do see mental people expressing their beliefs in a crazy way.

(14-06-2017 03:39 AM)AB517 Wrote:  i have yet see religion be the cause of crazy.

You don't get out much then, do you?

Unfortunately for me I have to apply the scientific method to a claim. The hypothesis then has to offer and explanation with a mechanism to make predictions. The more conditions a hypothesis makes correct predictions the more valid the hypothesis.

I really don't claim any more that that. I just put any claim made by a person through conditional changes.

I think I hear you saying that religion causes the crazy mental. If that is the case I only differ in that I am saying the crazy mental cause the crazy religion expression.

can you tell me one action or interaction that you feel is caused by religion? Maybe I need to reconsider my opinion.
16-06-2017, 04:52 AM
(16-06-2017 03:59 AM)AB517 Wrote:  
(15-06-2017 03:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  You don't get out much then, do you?

Unfortunately for me I have to apply the scientific method to a claim. The hypothesis then has to offer and explanation with a mechanism to make predictions. The more conditions a hypothesis makes correct predictions the more valid the hypothesis.

I really don't claim any more that that. I just put any claim made by a person through conditional changes.

I think I hear you saying that religion causes the crazy mental. If that is the case I only differ in that I am saying the crazy mental cause the crazy religion expression.

can you tell me one action or interaction that you feel is caused by religion? Maybe I need to reconsider my opinion.

Lack of grammar. Incoherent sentences. This has to be a 'bot...........and not a very good one. Drinking Beverage

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
16-06-2017, 07:18 AM
(16-06-2017 03:46 AM)AB517 Wrote:  I am not sure what I said that was offensive in that post.

Not offensive, you loon, plain stupid.

Also, highlighting a part of your drivel, so it's clear what I'm commenting on, is not cherry picking. Learn a bit of English.

And speaking of mental, if you insist on vomiting your word piles on this place, it'll behoove you to make a bit of a mental effort and master a bit of grammar and the art of forming at least semi-coherent sentences. I promise, it'll get easier over time.

And that gif was wrong, this is more like it Drinking Beverage

[Image: s29p8secvfm91yuxi7dk.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
16-06-2017, 08:19 AM
(15-06-2017 01:25 AM)Alla Wrote:  
7 year old girl Wrote:If you believe in god, and god should save you, why didn't gods save those people?"
I would explained to her that when God says that He will save people He talks about different kind of salvation. We are here to die eventually. Death is important part of plan of salvation.
P.S. People die different ways.

Bolding mine. The philosophical depths displayed here are immense.
09-10-2017, 03:21 AM
[Minor backstory: I'm an Atheist and always have been. My wife "believes" although also recognizes it's not literal. My mum + step-dad are heavy "praise the lord" types, and go to church. My daughter is sort of involved as my mum will take her to a kids club once a month, where they "teach" kids about the bible etc. I've never pushed atheism on her, but have explained that I don't believe in any of that type of stuff, and it ok if you do or don't, it'd be her choice. Shes told me she believes in god/jesus, but I honestly just leave it with her, as I don't really think she fully understands what she says on these matters just yet.]

Update on this:

This past weekend, my daughter came to me, sobbing her eyes out. I asked her what was wrong, she replied:

"I've been waking up at night, and trying to pray to god....but he doesn't answer me. I'm starting to think its not real."

I had to give the diplomatic answer, as certain people where in the room, but I've never been so proud of her. I did say how if she chooses to believe or not, I'll support whatever she does, but just seeing this in her is great. She's explained to me how "all her friends at school believe in god" which I think is more to do with them being told about this by parents etc, and I explained that just because somebody else does one thing, that doesn't mean you need to do the same as well.

She's 7, (she was 7 this year), and despite being a touch behind with certain skills, she got a good report for her science lessons this term, and has told me she wants to be a Paleontologist (which I think the fact she even knows what that is, is amazing).

So yeah, looks like we've got a thinker on our hands. I'm happy Smile

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 4 users Like OakTree500's post
09-10-2017, 04:24 AM
My grandson will be 7 in January and luckily we've never had to talk about any religious stuff at all. I'm happy his mind isn't being polluted with such nonsense.

Right now, he wants to be an astronomer.
I recently showed him a large book I have on astronomy and his eyes lit up on every page. That sense of amazement about our universe, I find to be absolutely heart warming.

When I think about some parents who teach their children from a book that makes them fear and cry and have nightmares, I want to punch them in the face.

Children already naturally have enough things in their lives that give them nightmares.

My grandson was afraid of the dark and was having nightmares in his sleep, so we started having darkness training.

I took his hand and we turned out all the lights in the house. We sat there and let our eyes adjust. I showed him how much he could really see in the dark. We walked from room to room and enjoyed the dark. I asked him to close his eyes and see the difference between darkness and having the lights off.

I have a punching bag that I sometimes use with my eyes closed to get a feel for where something is by simply, constantly having connection to it with a hand.

I showed him this and he punched the bag in the dark with his eyes closed. He felt the bag move and began to feel comfortable in the dark.

Now when he comes over, he can go upstairs by himself and turn the lights on. He's proud of that accomplishment.

I'm willing to bet your daughter of 7 is proud she has a father who can teach her about science and rationally explain why the truthful beliefs we have about life matter.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
09-10-2017, 04:39 AM
(09-10-2017 04:24 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Right now, he wants to be an astronomer.
I recently showed him a large book I have on astronomy and his eyes lit up on every page. That sense of amazement about our universe, I find to be absolutely heart warming.
In the same vain as yourself, I bought my daughter a giant encyclopedia for her on Dinosaurs, but not like a kiddie one, a full on big one for her to learn from, and she's loves it Smile

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
09-10-2017, 07:20 AM
My older daughter started asking really pointed questions about God when she was seven.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
09-10-2017, 07:56 AM
RE: Conversations with my daughter Religion
(09-10-2017 03:21 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  This past weekend, my daughter came to me, sobbing her eyes out. I asked her what was wrong, she replied:

"I've been waking up at night, and trying to pray to god....but he doesn't answer me. I'm starting to think its not real."
She's 7, (she was 7 this year), and despite being a touch behind with certain skills, she got a good report for her science lessons this term, and has told me she wants to be a Paleontologist (which I think the fact she even knows what that is, is amazing).

So yeah, looks like we've got a thinker on our hands. I'm happy Smile

On the one hand, my heart goes out to her that it affected her so much. When my niece was that young, it hurt me when she had an emotional moment. Can't imagine having to deal with a daughter or son having had that sort of moment. Kudos to you and her mother.

On the other hand, she's 7, so she'll get over it fast. And with that brain of hers, she was probably going to think that way eventually. She's already weighing evidence before she can drive.

You two are doing something right.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post