Conversion Tactics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Conversion Tactics
Last night I had the first opportunity in quite a while to talk to some friends about religion and why it isn't a good thing. One of the things I was reminded of are the crazy things a theist will say to an outsider to try to convert said outsider to their religion. There are truly some nasty things said for the sake of conversion, and it's kind of sickening.

This is digressing a little, but it relates a bit as well. One book that always bothered me was "The Inferno", because it was a book that was mainly written to scare people so badly that they converted. Plus, according to Dante I would be in the lowest level of hell, along with Hitler and some other uncool people (like serial killers).

I sort of wonder if anyone else has had negative experiences with people trying to convert you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2013, 08:06 PM
RE: Conversion Tactics
Nearly every experience I have with a theist is an attempt at conversion. Save for a very small minority who either believe that beliefs should be kept to one's self, or who know I'm an atheist who wasn't convinced by their arguments the first time.

My mother sends me religious literature a few times a month. Every time I speak to my grandmother, she makes snide little comments that are meant to get me thinking about coming back to religion. At my grandfather's funeral, recently, the religious attendees who knew me as a child (about 95% of the group) kept encouraging me to come back. They did so in a nice way, of course, but the ultimate goal was to bring me back into the fold. And of course, the many theists with whom I debate online are constantly trying to disprove my arguments and show me that their beliefs are correct. This is almost always topped off with "Come back to Christ; you may not believe in him, but he still believes in you. He wants you to let him back into your heart."

I simply tell them "I'm open to whatever is true. If your god exists; he knows where to find me."

(What's cool about that last line is that it doubles as a challenge when theists start threatening me with God's judgment)

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-02-2013, 08:27 PM
"Are you prepared to burn for an eternity in hell? Why not be safe and follow Christ?"

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

23-02-2013, 11:20 PM
(23-02-2013 02:41 PM)The Talking Goat Wrote:  Last night I had the first opportunity in quite a while to talk to some friends about religion and why it isn't a good thing. One of the things I was reminded of are the crazy things a theist will say to an outsider to try to convert said outsider to their religion. There are truly some nasty things said for the sake of conversion, and it's kind of sickening.

This is digressing a little, but it relates a bit as well. One book that always bothered me was "The Inferno", because it was a book that was mainly written to scare people so badly that they converted. Plus, according to Dante I would be in the lowest level of hell, along with Hitler and some other uncool people (like serial killers).

I sort of wonder if anyone else has had negative experiences with people trying to convert you.
Unfortunately, whenever I discuss religion with a theist 90% of what is said is indoctrinated propaganda. I don't think most modern theists even realise what they're saying is actually highly unethical, they've just been so deeply rooted in it all that it because normal to them.

Personally, I've yet to hear a single good argument for the existence of god, so I'm not sure if people have tried to convert me or not - my natural response is just to immediately point out the flaws and comfortably tell them they're wrong.

In terms of what they've said? Everything from how they're trying to save me from hell, to how science apparently can't explain things which it easily can, to how unrelated things are evidence of god. The last one frustrates me the most. Honestly, I open every argument with a theist with "What evidence do you have god exists?" and not a single one of them can provide evidence. Everything they say is unrelated. Like a Muslim recently was going on about science in the Quran (i.e. the Quran says rain falls from the sky), so I'm like - ok, a very easy observation to make but how the hell does that prove god exists? Well, apparently to a theist it does.

Science, logic and how they destroy religious arguments @ http://scepticalprophet.wordpress.com/

To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today.
- Isaac Asimov.
Faith means not wanting to know what is true.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
24-02-2013, 03:25 AM
I think most regard Inferno as a fictional work, based on what theists think is reality, sort of like Paradise Lost. Not official canon, but a sort of "What if" or a fleshing out. A modern counterpart to this would be the Left Behind series. Lots of artistic license taken in these works, but based on at least some shred of scriptural premise.

The bible actually has very little to say about hell, Lucifer, and is vague about the rapture, so much so that you have in-fighting on whether or not it happens pre-tribulation, post-tribulation, or happens at all. The word rapture isn't even in there, and if you look up the story behind it, you'll discover how christianity has accumulated mythical bullshit that has stuck with it over centuries, even with questionable origins. You'll find that with the trinity concept as well. Make up the rules as you go along.

A christian well taught in their ways, will look for any way possible to convert, even in the mundane. It feeds into their reward system, sort of like a pyramid scheme. In that respect, christianity is the Amway of religions.

[+] 1 user Likes KMFDM_Kid2000's post
24-02-2013, 03:44 AM
(23-02-2013 08:27 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  "Are you prepared to burn for an eternity in hell? Why not be safe and follow Christ?"

Aspie's fucking got it. Pascal's fucking bullshit wager. ... Girly'll'd rather be burning his ass off than kneeling for eternity. Please sir, may I have some more?

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post