Conversion persuasion story?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Conversion persuasion story?
My grandparents raised their three kids to be fundamentalist Christians who read the Old King James bible. If church sermons were going on when sports games, time out with friends and so on were, they went to church and that was the end of that discussion. Both my Aunt and Uncle have become non-Christians. Belief and/or disbelief has caused emotional division between my Grandfather and my Aunt.

When I was about 19, my Grandmother passed away. Friends from the church gave their sympathy with food and flowers, and we spent a few nights at his home. One afternoon around the funeral my Grandfather decided to have a private talk with my Aunt. My mother, sister and I were just outside in the kitchen, when the door opened. My Aunt was upset and decided to leave as my Grandfather shouted at her through the doorway about her going to hell. As we looked at him unapprovingly, I felt bad for her that she had to listen to his condescending attempt. I was still a Christian at the time. We all thought that he made a dick move, but we didn’t say anything.

Naturally, his attempt to persuade her to return to Christ has failed miserably.

Yes? No? Maybe?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2013, 10:11 AM
RE: Conversion persuasion story?
That's not all that he's done to get her back to Christ, I'm sure.

Yes? No? Maybe?
09-03-2013, 03:23 PM
(09-03-2013 10:04 AM)Lienda Bella Wrote:  My grandparents raised their three kids to be fundamentalist Christians who read the Old King James bible. If church sermons were going on when sports games, time out with friends and so on were, they went to church and that was the end of that discussion. Both my Aunt and Uncle have become non-Christians. Belief and/or disbelief has caused emotional division between my Grandfather and my Aunt.

When I was about 19, my Grandmother passed away. Friends from the church gave their sympathy with food and flowers, and we spent a few nights at his home. One afternoon around the funeral my Grandfather decided to have a private talk with my Aunt. My mother, sister and I were just outside in the kitchen, when the door opened. My Aunt was upset and decided to leave as my Grandfather shouted at her through the doorway about her going to hell. As we looked at him unapprovingly, I felt bad for her that she had to listen to his condescending attempt. I was still a Christian at the time. We all thought that he made a dick move, but we didn’t say anything.

Naturally, his attempt to persuade her to return to Christ has failed miserably.
Really doesn't sound terribly "persuasive" to me....I was threatened with hellfire from the first grade until I finished my freshman year in college.
I remain completely unconvinced and most assuredly unpersuaded.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
09-03-2013, 04:04 PM
An acquaintance of ours is going through his deconversion. His wife is still a believer and was told by her pastor to become a shining example for jeebus's love. Pastor told the wife to remain submissive to her husband -- her kindness will show him the light. Basically to show him the love and grace of a godly life.

Meanwhile he's showing her through his own unchanged kindness that everything she believed about us atheists was totally wrong....

Wonder if he'll end up deconverting her?

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

09-03-2013, 09:08 PM
(09-03-2013 04:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  An acquaintance of ours is going through his deconversion. His wife is still a believer and was told by her pastor to become a shining example for jeebus's love. Pastor told the wife to remain submissive to her husband -- her kindness will show him the light. Basically to show him the love and grace of a godly life.

Meanwhile he's showing her through his own unchanged kindness that everything she believed about us atheists was totally wrong....

Translation - Show him you're still less of a person than he is.

I can't understand how any woman can willingly live like a fucking slave.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2013, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 09:43 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(09-03-2013 09:08 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 04:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  An acquaintance of ours is going through his deconversion. His wife is still a believer and was told by her pastor to become a shining example for jeebus's love. Pastor told the wife to remain submissive to her husband -- her kindness will show him the light. Basically to show him the love and grace of a godly life.

Translation - Show him you're still less of a person than he is.

While I don't understand bibical submission and always thought st Paul was a twit. I have to say I have nothing against women (or men) who consentually decide to submit to another's authority (male or female)

09-03-2013, 09:47 PM
(09-03-2013 09:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 09:08 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Translation - Show him you're still less of a person than he is.

While I don't understand bibical submission and always thought st Paul was a twit. I have to say I have nothing against women (or men) who consentually decide to submit to another's authority (male or female)
You're correct. I worded that statement rather poorly. What I mean is that I don't understand how a woman can accept that she is less of a human being than a man because some book of fables told her so. But to be honest... I do understand how. It just really pisses me off when I think about it.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
09-03-2013, 10:25 PM
I completely agree with that. Smile Like I said I don't understsnd whole bibical submission thing so many women cling to and how they fail to understsnd they are really just steps away from wearing a burka. because, yanno men have no self control against temptation.

09-03-2013, 11:05 PM
"yanno men have no self control against temptation."

True that. Since I was about eight, every time I look at my left hand I just can't resist....

[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
09-03-2013, 11:11 PM
You and apparently my 19 year old son. Probably my husband too.