Converting from one religion because it makes no sense, just to go to a new BS one?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Converting from one religion because it makes no sense, just to go to a new BS one?
I just read a story about a Christian who converted to Islam because she was listening to a talk radio show in which a caller asked the simple question, "How could Jesus be "God" if he's talking to "God"?".

In that moment she realized her religion did not make sense and gave it up. No explanation as to why she subsequently went with Islam though. I'm assuming because she still wants to believe, but can no longer do so with Christianity based on that lack of logic, but Islam still has all the basic component parts...so close enough.

I would love if it were as easy as simply pointing out to someone the "how could Jesus be "God" if he's talking to "God" thing and that's all it took. If so, we'd have this nonsense cleaned up in a day. But if someone is that logical, that that's all the reasoning it would take, how do they then jump to an equally illogical religion?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2013, 02:28 PM
RE: Converting from one religion because it makes no sense, just to go to a new BS one?
Fear.
And...
Someone's gotta be in control of her life... cause she's certainly incapable of being in control.

People fear taking responsibility and/or being accountable for their thoughts, words, & deeds; therefore god.

True story. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-10-2013, 02:32 PM
RE: Converting from one religion because it makes no sense, just to go to a new BS one?
I was speaking to a girl in one of my college courses - she ran away from home at 18 and abandoned Islam after her parents forced her into an arranged engagement with her cousin when she was 15. She said she couldn't handle the misogyny of Islam and she never felt like God listened anyways. Then she found a boyfriend who was Christian, and rode his coat tails into Christianity. If Allah never listened to her prayers, why would God?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
05-10-2013, 02:34 PM
A similar thing happened to me actually. In sunday school a few months before Holy communion I had a lot of questions. I remember distinctly that the head of the school said that, "Jesus was also god" I just pretty much switched off, It sounded so incredibly ridiculous to me that some one could be human yet divine at the same time. Of course instead of seeking other religions basically stopped believing and after my holy communion (had to keep up the show I guess) I went searching for meaning in other things like supernatural, magic, telekinesis, ghosts all this utter bullshit and finally realizing it just doesn't matter or made any sense whatsoever. I stopped believing in ghosts just a few years ago. Everything is just so clear now. now I am left with all these questions of why do people still hold on to a belief in god, or pseudoscience and magic cure alls and why they want to force their beliefs on the rest of us.
05-10-2013, 02:44 PM
(05-10-2013 02:28 PM)kim Wrote:  Fear.
And...
Someone's gotta be in control of her life... cause she's certainly incapable of being in control.

People fear taking responsibility and/or being accountable for their thoughts, words, & deeds; therefore god.

True story. Drinking Beverage

Well I get that. But what I mean is, how do you leave a religion because you see the illogical bullshit in it, but can't see in in you're new one?

I get not being able to see it in the one you were brought up in, because you were brought up in it. But once you are able to see it in your own, why can't you see it in others?

I do get (kind of) how one can convert from one religion to another based on misogyny or bigotry, or something like that, and thinking "God" can't be a bigot, or whatever. And having lack of knowledge of the misogyny or bigotry in you're new religion, might find it a better fit. But if one leaves based on simple logic like the "Jesus" "God" duality thing, then how could you possibly not see it everywhere else?

That's not even the difficult logic stuff. That's the surface level illogical stuff that is inherent in all religions without diving far in at all.

05-10-2013, 02:51 PM
(05-10-2013 02:34 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  A similar thing happened to me actually. In sunday school a few months before Holy communion I had a lot of questions. I remember distinctly that the head of the school said that, "Jesus was also god" I just pretty much switched off, It sounded so incredibly ridiculous to me that some one could be human yet divine at the same time. Of course instead of seeking other religions basically stopped believing and after my holy communion (had to keep up the show I guess) I went searching for meaning in other things like supernatural, magic, telekinesis, ghosts all this utter bullshit and finally realizing it just doesn't matter or made any sense whatsoever. I stopped believing in ghosts just a few years ago. Everything is just so clear now. now I am left with all these questions of why do people still hold on to a belief in god, or pseudoscience and magic cure alls and why they want to force their beliefs on the rest of us.

I myself was never a believer, but was exposed to it in Sunday school until my family just stopped going and never discussed it again. In truth we never really discussed it when we still went.

But I do remember hearing as a teenager that Jesus was supposed to also be "God". I though, "This person clearly has never read to bible". I explained the bible shows "they" are clearly two different people. Jesus is "his" son, and talks to "him", and joins "him" in heaven, and tells other people about "him". There's no way he himself could be "him"! I was astonished to learn this is in fact what Christians believe.

I couldn't get past a "God" blinking the world into existence (and that happens on page one!), there was no way I would have ever been able to buy that.

05-10-2013, 03:03 PM
(05-10-2013 02:51 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 02:34 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  A similar thing happened to me actually. In sunday school a few months before Holy communion I had a lot of questions. I remember distinctly that the head of the school said that, "Jesus was also god" I just pretty much switched off, It sounded so incredibly ridiculous to me that some one could be human yet divine at the same time. Of course instead of seeking other religions basically stopped believing and after my holy communion (had to keep up the show I guess) I went searching for meaning in other things like supernatural, magic, telekinesis, ghosts all this utter bullshit and finally realizing it just doesn't matter or made any sense whatsoever. I stopped believing in ghosts just a few years ago. Everything is just so clear now. now I am left with all these questions of why do people still hold on to a belief in god, or pseudoscience and magic cure alls and why they want to force their beliefs on the rest of us.

I myself was never a believer, but was exposed to it in Sunday school until my family just stopped going and never discussed it again. In truth we never really discussed it when we still went.

But I do remember hearing as a teenager that Jesus was supposed to also be "God". I though, "This person clearly has never read to bible". I explained the bible shows "they" are clearly two different people. Jesus is "his" son, and talks to "him", and joins "him" in heaven, and tells other people about "him". There's no way he himself could be "him"! I was astonished to learn this is in fact what Christians believe.

I couldn't get past a "God" blinking the world into existence (and that happens on page one!), there was no way I would have ever been able to buy that.
As I said, I never believed in that part either. The "teaching" was very lax and church never talked about hell fire and brimstone. To think of it I'm not sure if I truly believed either. Was just something you did, tell bible stories no one seemed to emphasise that they were true and be bored to death when family dragged me off to church. It was an unremarkable deconversion but there was still that whole inside you that you just have to fill only to realize that it was never actually there to begin with.
05-10-2013, 03:34 PM
(05-10-2013 03:03 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  ...Was just something you did, tell bible stories no one seemed to emphasise that they were true and be bored to death when family dragged me off to church...

That basically encapsulates my entire religious experience. Never believed. Just some boring ass place I was forced to go to as a child. Listen to uninteresting stories, that I kind of got were supposed to be important for some reason, but figured I was just too young to understand why so didn't worry about. Kind of like being in kindergarten and learning about how to balance your check book (not that we were taught that in Kindergarten). You realize it's considered important to do, but don't know enough to understand why, and also don't care.

But it never quite sunk in that I was actually supposed believe any of it. I kind of got that believing was the idea, but also kind of didn't because I was a tiny little kid, then we just stopped going when I was about 7 years old.

My interest in religion and the bible has been more based on shock that people actually believe any of it, and in the course of this shock I've read and studied more about it than the average Christian or even the vast majority of Christians, all because it's insane to me that these children stories that I dismissed so easily as a child are bought and sold by adults!

I mean a talking donkey! Really!? I told a person who was debating me last week about the talking donkey, and all they said was, "Yeah, I believe that happened"! Seriously!? It's ridiculous.

05-10-2013, 03:56 PM
(05-10-2013 03:34 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 03:03 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  ...Was just something you did, tell bible stories no one seemed to emphasise that they were true and be bored to death when family dragged me off to church...

That basically encapsulates my entire religious experience. Never believed. Just some boring ass place I was forced to go to as a child. Listen to uninteresting stories, that I kind of got were supposed to be important for some reason, but figured I was just too young to understand why so didn't worry about. Kind of like being in kindergarten and learning about how to balance your check book (not that we were taught that in Kindergarten). You realize it's considered important to do, but don't know enough to understand why, and also don't care.

But it never quite sunk in that I was actually supposed believe any of it. I kind of got that believing was the idea, but also kind of didn't because I was a tiny little kid, then we just stopped going when I was about 7 years old.

My interest in religion and the bible has been more based on shock that people actually believe any of it, and in the course of this shock I've read and studied more about it than the average Christian or even the vast majority of Christians, all because it's insane to me that these children stories that I dismissed so easily as a child are bought and sold by adults!

I mean a talking donkey! Really!? I told a person who was debating me last week about the talking donkey, and all they said was, "Yeah, I believe that happened"! Seriously!? It's ridiculous.
For the longest time I just didn't give a crap then I stumbled on the 700 club and these people were fucking nuts! It was during when harry potter was so popular I didn't really care for it the writing was..bleh thats my opinion anyway but you see these people saying that magic sorcery was all the devils work and these books encouraged children to practice witchcraft and FUCK! Book bannings all around and then They had a segment with a toy witchcraft and going around asking if they'd play with this. They asked a girl, probably around 16 and when asked she said sure, maybe I'd play with that a slumber party or something. The reporter just froze, jaw just about dropped to the floor with such fear and disdain...I was just mesmerized by this reaction. They truly believed that demons and witches roamed the earth corrupting minds. Then I read article about book burnings of harry potter. That week in history class we just learned of the holocaust. Imagine that parallel, that image so ingrained in memory. It just has to stop. I had no vested interest in this book but I knew it was wrong to do this.
05-10-2013, 04:10 PM
I think what is most important, is to study the religion itself. Atleast it helps to refute that its unlikely to be true.
From reading "God Delusion", i came to an conclusion to the likeness of one religion being more correct compared to others, and seeing how religion evoles through culture, myths, fairytales etc. It just concludes that religion is man made.

I have reasons to think that Monotheism is dominant, because it says all other Gods/this God is false compared to the God we believe in, therefor. However. If they researched and got more educated and questioned stuff like this instead of instantely believing, then they would've been enlightened, and it would've been much more helpful to find the answers and coming to their own conclusion about their belief. And that would've made more sense.

I guess gullibility is the case here, and a maybe a little persuasion. But that's just my assumption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vabnZ9-ex7o