Convo on the bus today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2012, 03:31 PM
On the bus today a man asked me where I was headed, and I replied that I was going to a coffee place to stick my nose in a book for awhile. He asked, "what do you read?" and I told him that currently I'm reading Richard Dawkins' book (and here's where I messed up, because for the life of me I couldn't bring the title to mind and ended up blurting out 'The Magic of Reality' but really I'm reading ...

'The Greatest Show on Earth.') He looked quizzical so I then named the book's subtitle, 'The Evidence for Evolution.' (At least I got *that* right. Geez.)

The man, Gary, gave me a somewhat pitying look and proceeded to say that "evolution is the biggest farce of science." He said that it's an embarrassment to scientists; he said evolution has become an issue of political correctness and that science teachers are "forced to teach evolution or they'll get in trouble." I asked him, "What do you think science teachers should teach?" He said they should just say, "I don't know." (He didn't answer my question there, but at least he didn't say that they should teach creationism or ID.) Gary said, "where did we come from?" I told him that evolution doesn't suggest how we came to be here on earth, but rather how we grew from one species to many, etc (I wish I'd told him to research abiogenesis). He said we didn't evolve out of an amoeba. Gary said there's no evidence for evolution; I told him that all the major branches of science independently confirm the truth of evolution. He replied by saying that DNA points *away* from evolution. He said when scientists are asked to show proof of evolution, they say, 'I don't have to give you proof.' I told Gary that no true scientist would ever assert something without providing proof of their claims.

Someone on the level below us was intrigued by our conversation, looking on with a bemused expression, which annoys me because I didn't realize till I got off the bus that I'd given the incorrect book title. Thing is, I hate talking on the bus, period, even about mundane things; I just have never liked the whole rest of the world hearing my business. I'm not very good at remembering what I've read (let alone trying to reiterate it) and it was awkward to have this discussion, especially publicly. All in all, however, it was civil and calm, and perhaps I piqued enough interest for someone to go on and learn more.

As my stop approached, I told Gary, "I disagree with you, but I respect that you can say, 'I don't know' rather than propose a supernatural explanation."

~V.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Percepticon's post
10-11-2012, 03:46 PM
(10-11-2012 03:31 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  On the bus today a man asked me where I was headed, and I replied that I was going to a coffee place to stick my nose in a book for awhile. He asked, "what do you read?" and I told him that currently I'm reading Richard Dawkins' book (and here's where I messed up, because for the life of me I couldn't bring the title to mind and ended up blurting out 'The Magic of Reality' but really I'm reading ...

'The Greatest Show on Earth.') He looked quizzical so I then named the book's subtitle, 'The Evidence for Evolution.' (At least I got *that* right. Geez.)

The man, Gary, gave me a somewhat pitying look and proceeded to say that "evolution is the biggest farce of science." He said that it's an embarrassment to scientists; he said evolution has become an issue of political correctness and that science teachers are "forced to teach evolution or they'll get in trouble." I asked him, "What do you think science teachers should teach?" He said they should just say, "I don't know." (He didn't answer my question there, but at least he didn't say that they should teach creationism or ID.) Gary said, "where did we come from?" I told him that evolution doesn't suggest how we came to be here on earth, but rather how we grew from one species to many, etc (I wish I'd told him to research abiogenesis). He said we didn't evolve out of an amoeba. Gary said there's no evidence for evolution; I told him that all the major branches of science independently confirm the truth of evolution. He replied by saying that DNA points *away* from evolution. He said when scientists are asked to show proof of evolution, they say, 'I don't have to give you proof.' I told Gary that no true scientist would ever assert something without providing proof of their claims.

Someone on the level below us was intrigued by our conversation, looking on with a bemused expression, which annoys me because I didn't realize till I got off the bus that I'd given the incorrect book title. Thing is, I hate talking on the bus, period, even about mundane things; I just have never liked the whole rest of the world hearing my business. I'm not very good at remembering what I've read (let alone trying to reiterate it) and it was awkward to have this discussion, especially publicly. All in all, however, it was civil and calm, and perhaps I piqued enough interest for someone to go on and learn more.

As my stop approached, I told Gary, "I disagree with you, but I respect that you can say, 'I don't know' rather than propose a supernatural explanation."

~V.

I'm not always comfortable with these kinds of conversations either. I do love the mature discourse afterward though.
Find all posts by this user
10-11-2012, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 04:02 PM by ClydeLee.)
Re: Convo on the bus today...
Very nice. I always found these awkward conversations amusing.. while I don't like them the same.

I had a convo just like this on a train ride before. While I was reading (oddly enough) Dawkins "The God Delusion."

That spawned a man to tell me how he dropped the church but has his take on the Bible, which caused a Jehovah's witness to come up and say she was a former nun that left the catholic church; followed by her rambles on how the end of times are near because of homosexuals parading in public and sex on TV. That made a guy further up the train tell her she was offending him by speaking hateful things; meanwhile, by that time a Wiccan guy began telling me how he discovered his Goddess as well as his journey to be Wiccan priest.

It's an adventure on mass transit.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 7 users Like ClydeLee's post
10-11-2012, 03:53 PM
RE: Convo on the bus today...
I would have been a dick about it to be honest. I also hate having bus chats with strangers, or any chats with strangers. As soon as he said the thing about evolution being a lie, I would have burst out laughing. If that wouldn't have been enough to make him shut up I would have gotten meaner. I like my space.

I follow the rules contained in his article.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-unspoken-r...dy-breaks/

If I'm on a bus with you and you break one of those rules with me I am not forgiving.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
10-11-2012, 04:00 PM
I knew I'd get a sign I should have bought The Greatest Show On Earth. *sarcasm for the knowing part, but I really was about to buy it today*

Chats with strangers are uneasy for me, and reading your post, I find you handled the conversation well.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
10-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Gary really should read some books.

[Image: opforum1.png]
10-11-2012, 04:38 PM
(10-11-2012 03:53 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I would have been a dick about it to be honest. I also hate having bus chats with strangers, or any chats with strangers. As soon as he said the thing about evolution being a lie, I would have burst out laughing. If that wouldn't have been enough to make him shut up I would have gotten meaner. I like my space.

I follow the rules contained in his article.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-unspoken-r...dy-breaks/

If I'm on a bus with you and you break one of those rules with me I am not forgiving.

I've seen him on and off the past couple years and briefly spoke with him once or twice in that time (not on the bus). He seems like a decent person, and he's homeless but I've never seen him hit anybody up for money or goods. When he sat down on the bus, some his things dropped to the floor and I thought one of his grocery bags broke. I got up to offer him a spare grocery bag I had and that's how it all came about. Love the Cracked article; usually I follow the rules and am way rude when someone breaks them, lol.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
10-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Well see its your fault. You broke the rules.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
10-11-2012, 04:49 PM
(10-11-2012 04:42 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Well see its your fault. You broke the rules.

Now hold on here, bub....I should have immunity due to the fact that I broke the rules to offer help. Damn Pharisee.

10-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Two words for you - earphones and sunglasses. Takes a lot of nerve to bother you when you're wearing thoseSmile I have no problem talking to strangers, can talk to just about anyone, anywhere (in the world), but I like to be left alone most of the time, to listen to my music or just stare blankly into space.

Though reading your explanation about him being homeless and the grocery bag thing, I would've talked to him, too. And probably wouldn't've gotten pissed off (as I would've if it hadn't been a homeless person; may sound irrational, but I tend to cut people who have it much worse than me more slack than I would others).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."