Cook Eggplant in the Oven?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2015, 02:12 PM
RE: Cook Eggplant in the Oven?
(15-09-2015 01:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 01:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  Someplace in my travels - I think either Romania or Bulgaria - local folk served me the best eggplant dish I ever had. Unfortunately I have no idea what they did to that eggplant.

It was a dip, smooth as guacamole, eaten cold, and IMO better than guacamole. (and I love that stuff).

I wonder if anyone here knows anything about eggplant dip?

Was it baba ganoush?

I was just going to recommend baba ganoush!

If you bake them whole, please be sure to poke holes in the skin so they don't explode in your oven.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
15-09-2015, 02:23 PM
(15-09-2015 01:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 01:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  Someplace in my travels - I think either Romania or Bulgaria - local folk served me the best eggplant dish I ever had. Unfortunately I have no idea what they did to that eggplant.

It was a dip, smooth as guacamole, eaten cold, and IMO better than guacamole. (and I love that stuff).

I wonder if anyone here knows anything about eggplant dip?

Was it baba ganoush?

Ah, you put me on the proper trail!

Quote:The Egyptian version, known in the Levant as mutabbal, is made of roasted, peeled, and mashed eggplant, blended with tahini, garlic, salt, and lemon juice. Cumin and chili powder can be added. It is normally served with a dressing of olive oil and pomegranate concentrate. In the traditional method, the eggplant is first roasted in an oven for approximately 30 to 90 minutes (depending on the size of the eggplant) until the skin appears almost burnt and the eggplant begins to collapse. The softened flesh is scooped out, squeezed or salted to remove excess water, and is then pureed with the tahini. There are many variants of the recipe, especially the seasoning. Seasonings include garlic, lemon juice, ground cumin, salt, mint, and parsley. When served on a plate or bowl, it is traditional to drizzle the top with olive oil.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
15-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Thanks to everyone for your advice! All really good ideas!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
15-09-2015, 02:28 PM
(15-09-2015 02:24 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Thanks to everyone for your advice! All really good ideas!

All of them? Well I'm shocked.
15-09-2015, 02:47 PM
(15-09-2015 02:28 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 02:24 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Thanks to everyone for your advice! All really good ideas!

All of them? Well I'm shocked.

Except yours Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
15-09-2015, 02:48 PM
(15-09-2015 02:12 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 01:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Was it baba ganoush?

I was just going to recommend baba ganoush!

If you bake them whole, please be sure to poke holes in the skin so they don't explode in your oven.

Thanks for the tip about poking holes in the eggplant. If anyone could explode an eggplant in the oven--it's me Blush

15-09-2015, 02:53 PM
(15-09-2015 02:48 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 02:12 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I was just going to recommend baba ganoush!

Thanks for the tip about poking holes in the eggplant. If anyone could explode an eggplant in the oven--it's me Blush

I can't decide if it's funny or freaking sexy.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
15-09-2015, 02:56 PM
(15-09-2015 02:48 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 02:12 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I was just going to recommend baba ganoush!

Yep..that's what I thought. "Oh no! Jennybee is about is about to explode some eggplants! Take cover!!!" Big Grin

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
15-09-2015, 02:59 PM
(15-09-2015 02:56 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 02:48 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Thanks for the tip about poking holes in the eggplant. If anyone could explode an eggplant in the oven--it's me Blush

Yep..that's what I thought. "Oh no! Jennybee is about is about to explode some eggplants! Take cover!!!" Big Grin

yeah cooking is not my forte. Tongue

15-09-2015, 03:09 PM
(15-09-2015 02:59 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 02:56 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Yep..that's what I thought. "Oh no! Jennybee is about is about to explode some eggplants! Take cover!!!" Big Grin

yeah cooking is not my forte. Tongue

I remember you mentioning that, Miss "I Burn Water." Wink

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post