Cooking with fruit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Cooking with fruit
I have never done this much. I am not referring to baking or deserts, but on adding fruit to meat etc.

I had some pork chops last night, and I am inundated with pears from my trees still. I also had a banana that was starting to turn brown outside.

So I grilled the chops, and I took some coconut milk (had a can in the cupboard), cut up the pears and banana, and threw in a bunch of curry and just stuck it in the micro. Then I poured it over the chops and at it with rice and a salad.

It was really good!

Any recipes including fruit, anyone?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2012, 02:43 AM
RE: Cooking with fruit
I love BBQ pineapple. So good! I will put mango on my fish, often tilapia. Yum! Orange on chicken is yummy sometimes too.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
03-11-2012, 05:41 AM
(03-11-2012 02:43 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I love BBQ pineapple. So good! I will put mango on my fish, often tilapia. Yum! Orange on chicken is yummy sometimes too.

Wow, I thought there was literally no one who used fruit to cook!

I will have to try grilling some pineapple, that sounds delicious and they are in prime season now.

As kids we used to toast bread, put on a slice of cheese, a slice of ham, a slice of cored pineapple and mushrooms in the middle of the pineapple and throw it in the oven til hot.

Or, put butter in a pan, fry a peeled banana and wrap it in ham. Yum!

Or, just have prosciutto and cantaloupe.

And of course there is the old standby desert - core and half an apple or a pear, put a little butter or chocolate in, and put it in the micro for a couple of minutes til soft.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-11-2012, 06:03 AM
If you have a juicer, you can easily make really good fruit mixed sauces for cooking. For instance, juicing a fresh apple and pineapple with steak sauce and something to thicken it up makes a great glaze for steak since a moist steak is better than a dried out one (in my opinion). Or you can lay it on top of it...

I like to use peppers and fruits in the water when I cook meat. For instance, for something like chicken that is thick, I'll fill the pan halfway up with water, add some apple and green pepper slices in it so as it steams it soaks a little of the flavor in, makes it sort of sweet, little pepper taste, nom nom.

Fruits can be good to cook with!

I love surprise spicy too. Tiny slices of habanero and small apple slices when cooking it, soaks in. Sweet then SPICY.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
03-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Cooking with fruit
Mm. Yummy thread. I like to use fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice in a lot of my cooking.

Although to be honest, from the thread title, I thought this was going to be a thread about Earmuffs' recipes. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
03-11-2012, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 07:41 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Oh.
I thought this was the "cooking with *a* fruit" thread.
Never mind.
Carry on.
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Next time you roast a chicken, stuff it with apple and pear chunks, and a few cloves of garlic.

Awesomeness. And the gravy is stellar.

Just visiting.

-SR
03-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Bake a pork chop under mango slices. Top with a wee bit of brown sugar ten minutes before it's done.

Just visiting.

-SR
03-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Cherries added to beef stew.

Just visiting.

-SR
03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Diced apples in meat sauce for pasta...

Apple sauce mixed with peppercorns put on top of pork chops.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]