Cooking with fruit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
RE: Cooking with fruit
Fresh, slivered strawberries mixed into pasta salad. You can even mix it into fettuchini Alfredo. Though if you do that, best to offset it with some fresh shredded spinach or chard.

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Now my supper is looking really bland. I'ma gonna try somma deez. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
03-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Run an apple or a firm pear through a cheese grater and add it to any soup or stew. Adds a little sweetness, and all the apple or pear just melts in and add some soupy goodness. (not to mention a nutrient boost!)

Just visiting.

-SR
03-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Cooking with fruit
(03-11-2012 03:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Oh.
I thought this was the "cooking with *a* fruit thread.
Never mind.
Carry on.
Weeping

You can cook with me anytime, hotstuff. Wink

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
03-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Cooking with fruit
(03-11-2012 04:55 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Cherries added to beef stew.

I've been slow cooking beef stew all day. I wish I had some cherries. Hm, wonder what frozen blueberries would do. Consider

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
03-11-2012, 05:25 PM
They will work great actually. But add them thawed, as you eat. Since they've been frozen they will thaw out very mushy, so just in case, best to test on the first bowl instead of the whole batch.

Just visiting.

-SR
03-11-2012, 06:08 PM
(03-11-2012 04:50 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Next time you roast a chicken, stuff it with apple and pear chunks, and a few cloves of garlic.

Awesomeness. And the gravy is stellar.

I am going to roast one as soon as I get to the kitchen. And I have apples and pears at hand as well as garlic. I will try it!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Awesome!

I find lots of stuff to use apples for this time of year. I have neighbors begging me to take garbage bags full. What I did this year was told them all yes. Then I picked through (had about four and a half bags of sweet apples and two of sour apples) and found all the really nice, unbruised ones. I wrap those loosely in newspaper and keep them in the dark basement. They'll keep for six or eight weeks. That was about one full bag, so I'm left with lots to make applesauce, and do all the cooking I can with them while they last. Gonna be pretty sick of apples soon.......nah, I never get sick of them.

Just visiting.

-SR
03-11-2012, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 07:17 PM by cufflink.)
Iranians are masters at cooking meat dishes with fruit. One of the most famous dishes in Persian cuisine is fesenjaan--a stew of duck or chicken in a pomegranate and walnut sauce. SO good. It's actually not made with fresh pomegranate seeds but rather with a pomegranate reduction--kind of a pomegranate molasses--that's found in most Middle Eastern groceries.

There are also some wonderful rice pilafs with fruit--zereshk polow, that incredibly delicate long-grained Persian rice cooked with barberries, and aalbaaloo polow, the same rice cooked with sour cherries. Yum!

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
03-11-2012, 07:40 PM
(03-11-2012 07:11 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Iranians are masters at cooking meat dishes with fruit. One of the most famous dishes in Persian cuisine is fesenjaan--a stew of duck or chicken in a pomegranate and walnut sauce. SO good. It's actually not made with fresh pomegranate seeds but rather with a pomegranate reduction--kind of a pomegranate molasses--that's found in most Middle Eastern groceries.

There are also some wonderful rice pilafs with fruit--zereshk polow, that incredibly delicate long-grained Persian rice cooked with barberries, and aalbaaloo polow, the same rice cooked with sour cherries. Yum!
I LOVE rice dishes. That really sounds great !

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.