Cool/Impressive Things You've Seen Others Do

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2013, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2013 01:11 PM by Misanthropik.)
Cool/Impressive Things You've Seen Others Do
I don't know why I thought of this, but I was just reflecting on the time I spent in Guatemala a few years ago. I was staying in a little barrio in the mountains outside of Guatemala city; surrounded by woods and jungle over which loomed a constantly-smoking volcano. The lot just behind my house was empty and the locals were in the process of constructing another housing unit, so every once in a while, a dump truck would come by and drop a load of dirt into the lot. That particular region was pretty poor, however, and the hydraulic system on the truck didn't function, so the dumping mechanism didn't work. So, when it showed up and backed into the lot, 3 guys in dirty shirts jumped out with shovels and began to tirelessly shovel out the dirt. I simply stood like a dumbassed, overprivileged gringo, staring in awe at their effort to get done such a shitty job for what was probably pennies a day. (In Guatemalan currency, of course)

I was so impressed that I decided to grab two 6-packs out of the fridge for them. When I poked myself up from behind the wall in the courtyard and yelled "Amigos! Cerveza!", their faces lit up like Christmas fucking morning and they all dove out of the truck and scrambled to grab the 6-packs; laughing and cheering. It was pretty cool. Dudes deserved it.

I rarely see anyone impress me, but it's always cool when it happens, and somehow cooler when I can let them know they did a good job. (Some misanthrope I am. Dodgy )

Anyone else have any stories?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2013, 01:27 PM
RE: Cool/Impressive Things You've Seen Others Do
There was a bad intersection collision several cars ahead of me, red light runner., traffic was pretty dense 2 rows of 20+ cars each way.
one of the cars ended up on its roof with smoke coming out of it.
Seemed like hundreds of people burst out of their cars to help. it was unexpected.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
18-11-2013, 01:38 PM
I don't have any stories like the ones shared above, but I do have a neat video. It's of two guys doing some amazing balancing. It takes a shit load of muscles to do what they do. My dad thought it was impressive, but declared it "a little gay." You be the judge.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-11-2013, 02:02 PM
I watched some guys surf the North Shore of Oahu, (Hawaii), called the Pipeline.
I had every intention of doing it, but wimped out. Some guy had just been badly hurt, and I freaked. I value my life too much.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user