Cool beans!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2014, 11:37 PM
Cool beans!
I'm listening to SA's book "Deconverted" on audio, nearly finished, and have had a very entertained and informed afternoon. I'm currently off work (I'm an RN) with a bad knee so am catching up and what I've wanted to read/listen to, and 'the new atheism' has come off the back burner.

My only remarkable encounter with organized religion (Christianity) was two years as a late adolescent in a brimstone and hellfire church that scared the living crap out of me for those two years and quite a few afterward. I was not raised in a church going family but 'everyone believes in God' was the family idea. Hippies and Hindus were weird and therefore, wrong. That about captures my 'inheritance' insofar as religion goes.

If it weren't for the PTSD I received from that short church stint, whether I was an atheist or believer would be a nonissue except for my impression that religion is a kind of disease, and genuine pity (the nice kind) for believers. But I had to dig my way out kind of like a person has to recover from a really awful life event.

I guess it made the 'disease' of religion a personal issue for me. A person can't turn around without the important problem of 'faith' dictating atrocious or in the very least, STUPID behavior that causes problems for the rest of us. We're all human beings, and my particular slant is I genuinely want to be part of something helpful to the fellow human being. This forum and SA's premise of community for atheists is a great idea and I can sure see the benefit of supporting and participating in such a community -- so, I signed up.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to participating.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hamsaka's post
07-07-2014, 11:46 PM
RE: Cool beans!
Welcome, here is your welcome shark.

[Image: 10v5_shark_1.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
07-07-2014, 11:50 PM
Your welcome cheese:

[Image: tumblr_static_cheese_205_1362800142.jpg]

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
08-07-2014, 12:11 AM
Here's your welcome Gong Fu.

[Image: 061206222353431.jpg]

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
08-07-2014, 12:25 AM
(08-07-2014 12:11 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  Here's your welcome giant panda.

[Image: Cute-Panda-Bears-animals-34916401-1455-1114.jpg]
*Fixed.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
08-07-2014, 07:18 PM
I have been thoroughly welcomed and I thank you all Smile I haven't received welcome presents before and Weeping words fail. The shark was particularly touching . . .
[+] 2 users Like Hamsaka's post
08-07-2014, 07:20 PM
(08-07-2014 07:18 PM)Hamsaka Wrote:  I have been thoroughly welcomed and I thank you all Smile I haven't received welcome presents before and Weeping words fail. The shark was particularly touching . . .

I know Angel

08-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Hello Hamsaka, welcome to the board.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
08-07-2014, 08:13 PM
(08-07-2014 07:18 PM)Hamsaka Wrote:  I have been thoroughly welcomed and I thank you all Smile I haven't received welcome presents before and Weeping words fail. The shark was particularly touching . . .

What, was my gift too cheesy? Weeping

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
08-07-2014, 09:25 PM
What's your favorite scary movie?

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.