Cool things about your hometown.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2014, 08:47 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 11:27 AM by Drunkin Druid.)
Cool things about your hometown.
Hr. Grace Newfoundland.
Peter Easton.. c.1570-1620.
He was a pirate. Nowhere near as famous as others but was among the most successful. He had never been captured by any fleet sent after him. His fortress is now the Hr.Grace museum.
In 1932 Amelia Earhart was the first woman to make a transatlantic flight. She left from the Hr. Grace airfield.
It seems that the first book written in the new world was written in my home town. Quodlibits.
That may be untrue...
It's a little town not heard of by many but it has a rich history. It is in fact one of the oldest European settlements in North America.
And just for a chuckle.. There is a town not far from Hr. Grace called Dildo...
Do you also come from a little shittown?
If so what interesting things might have happened, or may still happening, there?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2014, 08:51 AM
RE: Cool and strange things about hometowns.
Perhaps this should be in the history section.
Oh well, it's here now. Maybe a mod will move it.
11-08-2014, 10:26 AM
RE: Cool things about your home.
My home was once owned by a Chinese spy. The second article actually has a picture of the front of my house.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/200802...?p=1&tc=pg

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/10/washin...d=all&_r=0
11-08-2014, 10:36 AM
(11-08-2014 08:47 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Hr. Grace Newfoundland.
Peter Easton.. c.1570-1620.
He was a pirate. Nowhere near as famous as others but was among the most successful. He had never been captured by any fleet sent after him. His fortress is now the Hr.Grace museum.
In 1932 Amelia Earhart was the first woman to make a transatlantic flight. She left from the Hr. Grace airfield.
It seems that the first book written in the new world was written in my home town. Quodlibits.
That may be untrue...
It's a little town not heard of by many but it has a rich history. It is in fact one of the oldest European settlements in North America.
And just for a chuckle.. There is a town not far from Hr. Grace called Dildo...
Do you also come from a little shittown?
If so what interesting things might have happened, or may still happening, there?

The only cool thing about my home is that it's almost paid for.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
11-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Best thing about here is there's no longer a foot of water in the basement. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
11-08-2014, 11:28 AM
RE: Cool things about your hometown.
Maybe I should have said "hometown."
Think I'll fix it..
Done.
11-08-2014, 11:43 AM
My home town, not much. We were the setting for a couple of books including The Swamp Thing comic book series, Rudy and The Skelton Key. There have been a few movies partially shot here The Apostle, Crazy in Alabama, Fight Club, A Lesson Before Dying, Hurricane on the Bayou, and The Butler are the ones I can recall off hand. Beast of the Southern Wild was completely shot in Terrebonne Parish in one of the bayou communities. Our current celebrities are Tab Benoit (Musician) and Quvenzhané Wallis (actress)
11-08-2014, 11:53 AM
The Rocket City

[Image: huntsville.JPG]

Should be renamed Mecca of Geeks

There are 20,000 engineers in the Huntsville-Metro area, the most in the US. Back in the early 2000s Huntsville held the most cellphones per capita as well as largest number of PhDs per capita. The 2010 census showed my birth town (suburb), Madison, with 57% of the population holding a bachelors or higher. I'm the oddball in my family - it seems everyone else builds or blows up missiles. (Provided they aren't in the ministry) My brother has a few parts on the space station. My deceased grandmother tested rocket fuel. And you thought Alabama was just a bunch of uneducated rednecks Smartass

I've always found the phrase "well it ain't rocket science" funny..

It's also the most tornado prone city in the US.

[Image: Funnel+of+Tornado+Touching+Down+vs+Hunts...O%5D+1.jpg]

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
11-08-2014, 12:14 PM
(11-08-2014 11:53 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Back in the early 2000s Huntsville held the most cellphones per capita as well as largest number of PhDs per capita.

Not bad; my hometown is usually ranked as the best-educated city in Canada (or very near-best).

... this is my signature!
11-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Not much about the town I'm from, but one town over is where Arnold Penzias and Robert Wilson discovered the Cosmic Microwave Background in 1964.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost