Cops Patiently Wait For Excuse To Execute Man

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2015, 10:14 PM
RE: Cops Patiently Wait For Excuse To Execute Man
(08-12-2015 09:10 PM)BnW Wrote:  Wow. That's really disturbing. A few thoughts from the peanut gallery over here.

1. The Young Turks website is not an objective view of events. Watching them is a bit like watching Fox News. You're not getting unbiased objectivity and I assume/hope people realize that.
2. I watched the video without the commentary about 6 times. The female cop is is obstructing the view of the guy and it's impossible to see what he's doing. Did he make an aggressive move that warranted shooting him? I couldn't tell. I will say that what you can see does not look good for the cop who pulled the trigger. I'd like to see an unobstructed view before passing judgment but the view we can see looks pretty bad.
3. I agree with Helmet that cops have families too and a right to go home at night. This notion that they have some kind of obligation to try to tackle a guy with a razor blade without regard to their own safety - and that's their job - is ridiculous. The guy who was shot could have avoided the whole thing if he put down the razor and surrendered. That doesn't automatically mean they were right in shooting him but just blindly blaming the cops doesn't make any sense at all to me. There was one person in control of this situation and he decided to grab a weapon and didn't put it down when he was told to and confronted by police acting in their lawful capacity. To claim that he's a total victim is just not based on reality.
4. I don't understand Helmet's blind trust for these cops. It's like you refuse to accept that maybe the cops were wrong here. Sometimes the cops are wrong. It happens.

and, finally

5. Being a cop is a shitty job. It was a shitty job before they were put under the microscope and now it's an even shittier job. You risk your life for zero gratitude. I get that there are cops who have done things that are criminal. Freddie Gray in Baltimore. The total shitstorm that is now developing in Chicago. There is an ever growing number of videos of cops shooting unarmed people all across the country. I think it's tough to argue there is not a problem here. At minimum, best case, there is a break down of trust between the police and the communities they are supposed to serve. Minorities in the US have complained for years about the types of abuses that are not showing up in videos on an alarmingly disturbing basis. But, the same way it's not every Muslim, it's not every cop either.

Last week 6 cops were shot trying to apprehend some lunatic who decided to shoot up a Planned Parenthood. One cop died, and he was not only off duty but came to assist an incident outside his jurisdiction. He died because he tried to do the right thing. Sometimes the cops really are the good guys. We all need to remember that. They should be punished like anyone else when they break the law, but they should be lauded when they do things like they did last week. They are not all criminals and it's unfair to act like they are.

Hear, hear!!

That said, I do have a couple of points, myself.

A) Just because many, even most, cops do the job for the right reasons doesn't mean that a large number of them aren't in it for some of the wrong reasons, or more likely are going to follow bad training (which involves a "this is the age of the lawsuit" approach to teaching them how to cover their asses, even when it involves actions like planting guns which they did not learn in training but which the training leads to an almost-natural conclusion to do) over their human empathy and respect for the rights of people. The reason we've been showed the videos of European cops doing it differently is not because European cops are better people, but because they're trained differently. It is not, therefore the men and women who become police officers--for whatever reason--who are being criticized, but the entire approach to police training and law enforcement, by policy, in this country. Those "bad apples" most of us do not believe to be evil people, generally, but ones who have become a victim of the structure of the system which they serve.

B) I don't know about you, but I'm constantly flooded with "Cops are our Heroes" propaganda on Facebook. I use few other social media, but each and every member of my family posts that crap, every day. And you know what? They often are! I've personally seen police doing astounding acts of kindness and generosity (and have reported it to their superiors, in writing, when I saw it), and genuinely seeking to make the cities they serve better places. That said, it is their job, their sworn duty, to place their bodies in the way of harm, in service to the US Constitution, just as we expect of members of our military. It is their job to run a risk of being hurt (not likely killed, in their body armor) by a guy with a knife, if it means not summarily executing a man because he's holding a knife while in a manic and/or paranoid state. Once the person acts with unmistakable intent and likelihood of doing serious harm to the police officer should they be able to escalate the situation.. and not because they deliberately placed themselves in a position to be harmed which would otherwise not exist, as in the case of the boy who was shot through his driver-side window when a cop ran to get in front of him (and never quite did). And in the case of a homeless, probably mentally-ill man who sees a wall of guns as a terrifying and can't make himself let go of the "blankie" in his hand that is the weapon.

C) Those who are defending these people killed by the police understand full-well that the police were issuing lawful orders and the people being shot in these videos could have put down the knives... they are not "total victims". I agree with much of what you say, but your use of unnecessary "not all" and "total victim" hyperbole implies that there are people who simply hate police and will totally deify anyone who is harmed by them. It is not a failure of understanding what's going on, on our part; we simply disagree that "Disobeying a Lawful Order of a Law Enforcement Officer" is a capital offense.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
08-12-2015, 10:24 PM
A few years ago I had a case full of drum hardware stolen. I thought I wouldn't bother the police as they were more busy and I'd just replace the stuff. 8 months later I had yet to replace anything.

I came home one day to find a card in my letterbox reading "Please contact constable so and so". I thought "What have I done?"

So I rang and he said "Have you lost a large black case full of what looks like drum stands?"

It turns out the case was so heavy, whoever stole it carried it up the hill, thought "Bugger this!" and put it down.

The lady whose house it had been dumped in front of thought "That is not rubbish" and called the police who came and collected it. After the 8 months a policeman finally had time to look through it and found a piece of an old receipt with my name on it. He then managed to locate me.

I went to the police station to collect it. Not only did they carry it out to the police car. They drove it and I home and then carried it into my flat.

True story. And I never spent a cent re purchasing any of that hardware. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
09-12-2015, 03:52 AM
Cops are humans indeed. They make mistakes. They react instinctively sometimes.

The thing is, they are trained precisely for that reason. Because they are human and they shouldn't react like the average human. The amount of "mistakes" cops in the US make is unjustifiable. I'm not saying the cop who did it was a cold-blooded killer. I'm saying there should be no excuse, since it's not an isolated incident.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
09-12-2015, 05:20 AM
(08-12-2015 08:02 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  To be fair...

Stop that now.

Have you forgotten that today is International Have A Go At America Day?

I think that guy should have had the right to defend himself ... he should have had the the right to bare arms.

We need more gun threads.

Angel

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
09-12-2015, 05:31 AM
(09-12-2015 05:20 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 08:02 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  To be fair...
Have you forgotten that today is International Have A Go At America Day?

Nope, probably because it is not celebrated here lol

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
09-12-2015, 07:30 AM
(08-12-2015 07:40 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 06:56 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Over 1,000 criminals were killed by police in 2014, also in 2014 11,205,833 were arrested. It's not as common as you think, seems that way because people only want to shed light on the bad instead of good, most American cops are well trained and handle situations very well.

ShockingShocking
Wut? 11 million arrests in one year? That`s 3% of entire population. Wtf?

So why does anyone wonder why there is a problem with violence in the U.S.?

It really is a more violent society than those of you in peaceful societies seem to be able to imagine.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-12-2015, 08:01 AM
(09-12-2015 07:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 07:40 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  ShockingShocking

It really is a more violent society than those of you in peaceful societies seem to be able to imagine.

To me , it really came as a bit of a surprise to be honest.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
09-12-2015, 10:11 AM
(09-12-2015 07:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 07:40 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  ShockingShocking

More arrests doesn't necessarily equate to more violence. We haul people to jail for all kinds of bullshit here. I'd like to see some actual numbers to back up that assertion.

That said, there is no doubt we have dramatically more fun violence than other democratic nations. But, as we all know, only more guns can stop that. Blink

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
09-12-2015, 10:20 AM
(09-12-2015 10:11 AM)BnW Wrote:  That said, there is no doubt we have dramatically more fun violence than other democratic nations. But, as we all know, only more guns can stop that. Blink
(before you catch that typo and fix it)
"fun violence"
What other kind is there? Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
09-12-2015, 06:34 PM
My first question would be, how many of those arrests are for things like marijuana possession? I mean, just a thought, but I don't think most of them are violent.