Copyright Infringement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Thumbs Down Copyright Infringement
So today, my ISP (I receive my internet through a cable company) caught me illegally downloading music. I'll admit I've done so for years, probably since I started high school (basic programs, popular websites, no precautions, no cares) but didn't think I'd ever get caught by my provider. This weekend I went on a spree and figured I was slowing down the network or something, which caused them to go and look at what I was doing. But when called, I was told my ISP received a written complaint or something.

Oops. Unsure

I received my first of four warnings.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2013, 03:51 PM
RE: Copyright Infringement
What country do you live in? In most, Deep packet inspection and other privacy invading measures are completely illegal.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
08-10-2013, 03:53 PM
(08-10-2013 03:49 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  So today, my ISP (I receive my internet through a cable company) caught me illegally downloading music. I'll admit I've done so for years, probably since I started high school (basic programs, popular websites, no precautions, no cares) but didn't think I'd ever get caught by my provider. This weekend I went on a spree and figured I was slowing down the network or something, which caused them to go and look at what I was doing. But when called, I was told my ISP received a written complaint or something.

Oops. Unsure

Interesting. Time for you to learn a thing or two about anonymity. There are some plugins for torrents that mask your traffic. Encryptions and such. A long long time ago I used Azureus with SafePeer add-on. I have no idea what is modern.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
08-10-2013, 03:57 PM
(08-10-2013 03:49 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  So today, my ISP (I receive my internet through a cable company) caught me illegally downloading music. I'll admit I've done so for years, probably since I started high school (basic programs, popular websites, no precautions, no cares) but didn't think I'd ever get caught by my provider. This weekend I went on a spree and figured I was slowing down the network or something, which caused them to go and look at what I was doing. But when called, I was told my ISP received a written complaint or something.

Oops. Unsure

Wait, what? You serious? Isn't this breaking the law; spying on your downloads? I know you're not in a good economical situation, but goddamn, get rid of this provider.

Well, if there is no other way, try to use Keepvid to download music from youtube. It sucks, but that's the only other way I know.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
08-10-2013, 03:58 PM
remove your wifi security, wait for a neighbour to connect to your Internet, screenshot their machine address in your router settings.
there is no fine for open Internet, you have reasonable doubt it was not you who was infringing.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
08-10-2013, 03:59 PM
(08-10-2013 03:51 PM)Caveman Wrote:  What country do you live in? In most, Deep packet inspection and other privacy invading measures are completely illegal.

America, which is pretty strict once they crack down on copyright infringement.

(08-10-2013 03:53 PM)Filox Wrote:  Interesting. Time for you to learn a thing or two about anonymity. There are some plugins for torrents that mask your traffic. Encryptions and such. A long long time ago I used Azureus with SafePeer add-on. I have no idea what is modern.

That's what I've considered looking into, but in the past I honestly never really put much thought or care into it. I used the typical Bittorent. I didn't think I'd ever receive a warning, especially after 4 years of downloading and not once running into any problems.
08-10-2013, 04:00 PM
(08-10-2013 03:57 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Wait, what? You serious? Isn't this breaking the law; spying on your downloads? I know you're not in a good economical situation, but goddamn, get rid of this provider.

Well, if there is no other way, try to use Keepvid to download music from youtube. It sucks, but that's the only other way I know.

No, here (from what I know) your provider can look at anything you do, if it's with valuable reason or intention (i.e. you're slowing down the network for some odd reason, they receive a letter of complaint for copyright, etc.)

If you're sucking down a shit ton of bandwidth, they can check to see what kind of traffic it is. They don't typically look at what you're downloading specifically, but they could if they wanted to.
08-10-2013, 04:02 PM
(08-10-2013 04:00 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 03:57 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Wait, what? You serious? Isn't this breaking the law; spying on your downloads? I know you're not in a good economical situation, but goddamn, get rid of this provider.

No, here (from what I know) your provider can look at anything you do, if it's with valuable reason or intention (i.e. you're slowing down the network for some odd reason, they receive a letter of complaint for copyright, etc.)

Well. Fuck. I got three words for them...

08-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Oh, and even if this happened many years ago, this is still relevant:

[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
08-10-2013, 04:04 PM
(08-10-2013 04:02 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Well. Fuck. I got three words for them...

Hug