Copyright Infringement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2013, 03:46 PM
RE: Copyright Infringement
(10-10-2013 02:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 02:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  In what way??
They wouldn't have gotten my money anyway.

It's called tragedy of the commons.

It's why any non-physical goods still ought to have sales numbers (supposing they are on sale as a means of generating livelihoods) greater than one.

What? No it's not. Tragedy of the commons doesn't apply in my example.
Tragedy of the commons has to result in some sort of loss, where everyone takes and takes until nothing is left and than noone has anything. (commercial law major, I'm familiar with the concept).
BUT, the company wouldn't get my money anyway, so they haven't lost anything.

If you can afford it, and would otherwise pay for it, than yes Tragedy of the commons applies. But it doesn't apply in my example.

Quote:Just you yourself doing it? Not a big deal. When millions of people do it, regardless of whether or not they have money, it becomes a bigger deal.

No, you're not getting it.
I'm talk specifically when the company wouldn't get the money anyway.

ie: Say a company makes a movie. 500 people will pay for it and 500 people wont.
If those 500 people pay and watch it than the company has received all the money it's going to receive. And so it doesn't matter if 1 person pirates it and watches for free or 500. It doesn't effect the company in anyway.

I agree it's stealing if you can afford it and would otherwise purchase that product.

What I'm saying with this is, how can something be considered stealing (a crime) when noone has suffered a loss? dare I say it's a victimless crime?

But yea, obviously this isn't all pirating and most of it is stealing.

Quote:I already made this argument a page or two ago. It still seems legit... but it would require a method of download that doesn't allow for upload. Torrents require you to have at least SOME upload connectivity, which might be going to someone who would otherwise pay for the song/movie/game, whatever.

Well it would depend on the people were uploading too.
If you uploaded to people in my situation, who wouldn't otherwise purchase the product, than I don't see the problem.
There's no way to know this though obviously.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2013, 03:53 PM
(10-10-2013 02:50 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 02:33 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Just you yourself doing it? Not a big deal. When millions of people do it, regardless of whether or not they have money, it becomes a bigger deal.

If I take a couple of giant sequoia pine cones from Yosemite, it's not gonna effect anything. If every visitor to the park takes a couple every time they go, it's gonna cause a problem.

It's simply unethical.

Except the pine cones you took are no longer in the park...

Hi. Angel

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
10-10-2013, 03:56 PM
(10-10-2013 03:53 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 02:50 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Except the pine cones you took are no longer in the park...

Hi. Angel

EA, stop flirting! Angry

He is the enemy in this argument. You can't let his dreamy biceps cloud your judgment!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
10-10-2013, 04:05 PM
(10-10-2013 03:56 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 03:53 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Hi. Angel

EA, stop flirting! Angry

He is the enemy in this argument. You can't let his dreamy biceps cloud your judgment!

But, but... every time I see WATC around the forum, I think of that picture and those lovely muscles and I can't help but smile, and...

But yes, yes, you are right, he is the enemy!!! Weeping

I'm sorry, WATC. We could have been so beautiful together, save for this! Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
10-10-2013, 05:15 PM
(10-10-2013 04:05 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 03:56 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  EA, stop flirting! Angry

But, but... every time I see WATC around the forum, I think of that picture and those lovely muscles and I can't help but smile, and...

I'm sorry, WATC. We could have been so beautiful together, save for this! Tongue

While half of my responses were legitimate questions, the entirety of my posting in this thread has been an attempt to justify the 200+ gb I've downloaded over the last two months. I can't compare any of it to my own music, since I refuse to allow ads on my YouTube channel, and just send my songs to anybody who asks. I never expect profit. It was actually this very issue that makes music seem like a better hobby than career choice.
10-10-2013, 05:24 PM
(10-10-2013 05:15 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  makes music seem like a better hobby than career choice.

Try being in a metal band in a bible-thumping town in the midwest.

I'd be delusional to think it'd ever progress past a hobby in this fucking place. Weeping

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
10-10-2013, 05:26 PM
(10-10-2013 05:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 05:15 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  makes music seem like a better hobby than career choice.

Try being in a metal band in a bible-thumping town in the midwest.

I'd be delusional to think it'd ever progress past a hobby in this fucking place. Weeping

Lol, oh I drove through the area on my recent road trip... Nothing but country music and religious crap on the radio.
11-10-2013, 06:53 AM
(10-10-2013 05:15 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 04:05 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  But, but... every time I see WATC around the forum, I think of that picture and those lovely muscles and I can't help but smile, and...

While half of my responses were legitimate questions, the entirety of my posting in this thread has been an attempt to justify the 200+ gb I've downloaded over the last two months. I can't compare any of it to my own music, since I refuse to allow ads on my YouTube channel, and just send my songs to anybody who asks. I never expect profit. It was actually this very issue that makes music seem like a better hobby than career choice.

Yeah, the writer's forum I belong to has an obnoxious influx of new members every day. It's rather disheartening.

I mean, are there really that many people out there who aspire to become published authors? Makes me think that the odds of my getting published are next to nil. But I'm going to try anyway. Wink

Oh, and country music blows chunks. I fucking hate it. That is all. Tongue

11-10-2013, 07:00 AM
(11-10-2013 06:53 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 05:15 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  While half of my responses were legitimate questions, the entirety of my posting in this thread has been an attempt to justify the 200+ gb I've downloaded over the last two months. I can't compare any of it to my own music, since I refuse to allow ads on my YouTube channel, and just send my songs to anybody who asks. I never expect profit. It was actually this very issue that makes music seem like a better hobby than career choice.

Yeah, the writer's forum I belong to has an obnoxious influx of new members every day. It's rather disheartening.

I mean, are there really that many people out there who aspire to become published authors? Makes me think that the odds of my getting published are next to nil. But I'm going to try anyway. Wink

Well, to be fair, country nowadays is nothing more than pop with a slight twang and a banjo thrown in. Which makes it more annoying than the real thing. Real country used to have some balls.

~ Umberto Eco
11-10-2013, 07:02 AM
(11-10-2013 07:00 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(11-10-2013 06:53 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Yeah, the writer's forum I belong to has an obnoxious influx of new members every day. It's rather disheartening.

Well, to be fair, country nowadays is nothing more than pop with a slight twang and a banjo thrown in. Which makes it more annoying than the real thing. Real country used to have some balls.

Yeah, 90's country was good. But then, all the 90's music was good. They just don't make music like that anymore, lol.