Copyright Infringement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2013, 07:09 AM
RE: Copyright Infringement
So, I read a hundred posts or so before skipping to writing a reply, so forgive me if this has been said by someone before. The age of selling physical media is nearly dead. It allowed a lot of musicians, both good and bad, to make a shit load of money for a long time...but you know how musicians made there money before we had cylinders, records, tapes, 8-tracks, and CDs? Yes there was once such a time. Those musicians made their money by playing music. People went to see them play the music, and paid for the experience. All these popular bands are not all of the sudden out on the streets. People still pay to see them. As a matter of fact, even if they sold 0 copies of their songs they still make a shit load on endorsements, merchandise and concert tickets. In fact, their albums can be seen as a promotional tool for all those things.

I'm not nessecarily saying downloading stuff illegally isn't immoral, because I honestly think it is a bit of a grey area. It's something that's still relatively new. There are no direct comparisons and there are legitimate arguments to be made on both sides. That's my two cents anyhow.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
11-10-2013, 07:13 AM
(11-10-2013 07:09 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I'm not nessecarily saying downloading stuff illegally isn't immoral

I think that's the only argument that can be made, for musicians. However, the topic in general is covering all downloadable media. Authors aren't known for their awseome live shows.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
11-10-2013, 07:17 AM
(11-10-2013 07:13 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(11-10-2013 07:09 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I'm not nessecarily saying downloading stuff illegally isn't immoral

I think that's the only argument that can be made, for musicians. However, the topic in general is covering all downloadable media. Authors aren't known for their awseome live shows.

Clearly you've never seen Henry Rollins play. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
11-10-2013, 07:19 AM
(11-10-2013 07:17 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(11-10-2013 07:13 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I think that's the only argument that can be made, for musicians. However, the topic in general is covering all downloadable media. Authors aren't known for their awseome live shows.

Clearly you've never seen Henry Rollins play. Drinking Beverage

Yes, yes I have. There's always an exception. Good call. Bowing

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
11-10-2013, 07:28 AM
A lot of the bands I listen to are in the underground music scene. They don't really advertise thrmselves at all. The only way I've been able to locate them is through pirate sites. I'm sure that others use the same method to find new bands and to get musif that would otherwise be imppssible to obtain. I mean if the band sells cd's in BC I can't really fly out there just to get that cd; so I'll pirate it instead and then buy the cd if I can.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
11-10-2013, 07:32 AM
(11-10-2013 07:19 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(11-10-2013 07:17 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Clearly you've never seen Henry Rollins play. Drinking Beverage

Yes, yes I have. There's always an exception. Good call. Bowing

Laughat I couldn't help myself. In seriousness, I was replying to the original issue...which was music. I realize since then the conversation has widened it's scope to include books and the like. While this isn't the same thing I will say that it is a different situation. I've seen the figures for illegal downloading of music, but I am ignorant on the same for literature....but I'll chime in anyway.

This point is basically what muffs was saying, but muffs is a shit debater. I would say that illegal downloading does have a more negative impact on authors than it does musicians. There aren't to many people willing to buy Stephan King t-shirts, and live shows are pretty much out of the question. The only redeeming thing for the authors is that I would guess that most people who download the books probably wouldn't have bought most of the books if they couldn't have downloaded it anyway. Therefore, the reader does get 'something for nothing' but the author often doesn't lose money. The authors do lose money when people download INSTEAD of buying. That's applicable to music as well as books, TV shows, and movies.

11-10-2013, 09:33 AM
(11-10-2013 07:32 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...Stephen King...

There. Fixed it for ya. Drinking Beverage

11-10-2013, 05:58 PM
(11-10-2013 09:33 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(11-10-2013 07:32 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...Stephen King...

There. Fixed it for ya. Drinking Beverage

[Image: spelling-nazis-spelling-nazi-nazis-grammer.jpg]

[+] 4 users Like Dark Light's post
12-10-2013, 06:03 PM
(11-10-2013 07:32 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(11-10-2013 07:19 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yes, yes I have. There's always an exception. Good call. Bowing

Laughat I couldn't help myself. In seriousness, I was replying to the original issue...which was music. I realize since then the conversation has widened it's scope to include books and the like. While this isn't the same thing I will say that it is a different situation. I've seen the figures for illegal downloading of music, but I am ignorant on the same for literature....but I'll chime in anyway.

This point is basically what muffs was saying, but muffs is a shit debater. I would say that illegal downloading does have a more negative impact on authors than it does musicians. There aren't to many people willing to buy Stephan King t-shirts, and live shows are pretty much out of the question. The only redeeming thing for the authors is that I would guess that most people who download the books probably wouldn't have bought most of the books if they couldn't have downloaded it anyway. Therefore, the reader does get 'something for nothing' but the author often doesn't lose money. The authors do lose money when people download INSTEAD of buying. That's applicable to music as well as books, TV shows, and movies.

In 2007 I had a book published, a very poor seller which annoyed theists and atheists alike.

More relevant to what you say, months after the three year contract ended, I discovered my book being offered on line......
Budding authors beware, there a heaps of traps out there and litigation is usually
a hopeless option.