Copyright Infringement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2013, 06:43 PM
RE: Copyright Infringement
(08-10-2013 06:38 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 06:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  What part of 'theft' don't y'all understand? Consider

This is copyright infringement, not theft. Learn your crimes Chas

No, it is theft. Go back to law class.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2013, 06:56 PM
(08-10-2013 06:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 06:38 PM)nach_in Wrote:  This is copyright infringement, not theft. Learn your crimes Chas

No, it is theft. Go back to law class.

nope, it is not, it is equated to fraud, but it is neither. Maybe your laws are broken

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
08-10-2013, 07:04 PM
(08-10-2013 06:56 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 06:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, it is theft. Go back to law class.

nope, it is not, it is equated to fraud, but it is neither. Maybe your laws are broken

You are correct - it is copyright infringement. It is nonetheless illegal in the U.S.

08-10-2013, 07:08 PM
(08-10-2013 06:33 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 06:31 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Think of it as long-term borrowing without permission Chas.

I ain't got time for buying stuff. I'm just going to borrow it long-term without permission.

When I was your age, we had to walk uphill in the snow, barefoot, to get to a record shop and then could only afford a tape every 2 weeks with our lunch money.

No, not really. But we did have cassettes and everybody copied music to everybody. The difference is that the record companies couldn't trace that.

Sucks to get warned about it, though. I don't download much,myself.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
08-10-2013, 07:08 PM
@Chas, What's your point?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
08-10-2013, 07:13 PM
(08-10-2013 07:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 06:56 PM)nach_in Wrote:  nope, it is not, it is equated to fraud, but it is neither. Maybe your laws are broken

You are correct - it is copyright infringement. It is nonetheless illegal in the U.S.

Indeed it is, like gay marriage and smoking pot. Laws are funny Smile

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
08-10-2013, 07:16 PM
(08-10-2013 07:08 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  @Chas, What's your point?

I am appalled that people think that they have a right to other people's property without payment.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-10-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm with Chas. When the whole napster thing was going on, as much as I hate Lars Ulrich, I had to honestly agree with him. There was no point in giving an artist any compensation whatsoever for what you enjoyed of them if you could get it for free. It essentially ruined how the music business worked.

Fast forward to today. This situation was probably unavoidable and did lead to the current method of music distribution, which is online via itunes or amazon. However, the fact remains that it is theft. If you like an artist and wish an artist to continue to be able to provide you with entertainment, the least you can do is pay a little something for it. You don't get into concerts for free, paying a small fee for owning a song that you'll have forever is a small compensation for the endless hours of enjoyment that you'll get out of it.

The artist you love spent their life honing their craft, perfecting a tune, dealt with too many soulless people in the industry, toured tirelessly and have given more than you'll know just so you can appreciate their art.

Don't be a dick. Buy the fucking song.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
08-10-2013, 10:45 PM
(08-10-2013 06:40 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Not sure if magnets are better... Or read the comments before downloading a torrent to see if its being monitored?

Here in Canada its legal, so the ISP gets in trouble if they harrass or throttle anybody here.

Torrents themselves are not illegal. But copyright infringement is illegal, even in Canada.

(08-10-2013 03:51 PM)Caveman Wrote:  What country do you live in? In most, Deep packet inspection and other privacy invading measures are completely illegal.

ISPs regularly receive copyright complaints from the copyright holder. Content companies hire services that do nothing but listen for torrents and match content to the copyright holder, and then file complaints with the ISP. However, if your ISP is Comcast, AT&T, Time Warner, Verizon, or Cablevision, deep packet inspection is par for the course, and no, it is not illegal here in the US.

http://www.extremetech.com/internet/1407...ed-to-know

Movies are nearly all that copyright complaints my company gets, about a dozen a day. Looking at the last week or so, it's all movies, with about half of those complaints being pr0n Smile

Torrents of any kind are not safe nomatter what anyone else says on the board here. Yes, you can choke off the upload rate, but you cannot kill off entirely uploads while you are downloading--that's kind of the idea behind p2p. Your computer will still register on the tracker and will expose you to IP address harvesters.
08-10-2013, 11:07 PM
(08-10-2013 07:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 07:08 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  @Chas, What's your point?

I am appalled that people think that they have a right to other people's property without payment.

I had a discussion about this with a coworker recently. We started with the illegal download of movies/music. And while the company reporting losses never actually has less of the product, we agreed that it was technically still immoral to freely download that which was created to be sold. But I couldn't pinpoint why... (I mean, if I had a physical CD, I would be allowed to let my friend borrow it, right? But what if I didn't have the physical album, but the digital version. I could send it to my friend, and as long as I deleted it until they sent it back to me, its all good?)

I had some questions: Would it be immoral to sneak into a movie without paying?
"Of course..."

If a drive-in theatre was built right behind your house, would it be immoral to watch the movies being played on the screen?
"Well yes, you haven't paid for it."

So you aren't allowed to even glance in that direction anymore because a movie is playing that you haven't paid for?
"Don't be ridiculous, if you intend on viewing the movie without paying, its wrong. It entering into your view due to proximity is understandable and okay."

So while its okay to accidentally and briefly observe the movie, its immoral to watch to understand and enjoy the film?
"you're starting to go in circles"

So its okay for a catatonic vegetable to watch the movie, but not me? This is starting to approach thought crime territory... I haven't physically taken anything. I am merely observing and trying to understand the photons that are bombarding my body. If I turn away they are still there. You're trying to tell me that the immoral act and crime is in the understanding of information that is readily available. You're trying to stop me from looking at something and understanding it...
"you're breaking an unwritten contract"

Can't break a contract I never agreed to.

The conversation just kinda stopped there...