Copyright Infringement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2013, 02:26 PM
RE: Copyright Infringement
(08-10-2013 06:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  What part of 'theft' don't y'all understand? Consider

Yeah, I've gotta say that downloading music for free or getting pirated films and whatnot bothers me a lot. Until I started writing, it might not have meant so much to me, but I work very hard on my books and when and if I ever get published, I'd hate for someone to disrespect all that time and energy and just copy the damn thing because maybe they think artists don't really work or don't deserve to be compensated for their creativity.

If I wanted people to enjoy my books free of charge, I'd just put them out there for free, but I want to be compensated so that hopefully one day I can make a living doing nothing BUT writing, therefore giving me even more time to dedicate to my craft and put out an even better product, which - I think - pays off for readers.

My sister-in-law is always burning DVDs and offering to let us borrow them and it just makes me feel awful for all those people who worked so hard to bring those stories to life. To me, if you can't pay for the entertainment you want, you have to make choices as to what you can't live without and only indulge in those things. It's about telling yourself no and making priorities.

Anyway, sensitive topic for me, but just wanted to add my two cents.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
09-10-2013, 02:42 PM
I bought the latest Star Trek movie because it was awesome. Its okay for me to lend it to a friend, as long as neither of us copy it... Right?

And then another friend wants to borrow it. And you know, maybe all my friends want to borrow it. Maybe I have thousands of friends... Does it ever become immoral or illegal?
09-10-2013, 02:43 PM
(09-10-2013 02:42 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I bought the latest Star Trek movie because it was awesome. Its okay for me to lend it to a friend, as long as neither of us copy it... Right?

And then another friend wants to borrow it. And you know, maybe all my friends want to borrow it. Maybe I have thousands of friends... Does it ever become immoral or illegal?

Yes.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
09-10-2013, 02:46 PM
(09-10-2013 02:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 02:42 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I bought the latest Star Trek movie because it was awesome. Its okay for me to lend it to a friend, as long as neither of us copy it... Right?

Yes.

When?
09-10-2013, 02:47 PM

Not unless you charge them for it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2013, 02:53 PM
(09-10-2013 02:46 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 02:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yes.

When?

You're quite the apologist. Can we argue reality?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
09-10-2013, 02:56 PM
(09-10-2013 02:10 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 01:56 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I think people do have a right, in the end everything is derivative from something else, and those ideas are of public domain.

Public domain? How so?

If I record a song, and want to get paid for you downloading it, I put it on a site that makes this possible. A person pays to download it once, then shares a copy with everyone else for free. How is this fair to me and my intellectual property? I never once said it can be public domain for free, that is the purpose of a copyright.

(09-10-2013 01:56 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Many artists barely get paid if you buy a cd, the middle man takes all the money

This is true, but compensation for an artist is met in other ways by the middleman, not solely bases on a percentage of money made from sales. However, this compensation is derived from the number of sales, so legitimate purchasing of it is important.

(09-10-2013 01:56 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I make a leap of faith and believe there is some way to make things work, there is some balance somehow. We do need to work to find it though, a good solution is not obvious in this case.

Agreed.

(09-10-2013 02:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 01:56 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I think people do have a right, in the end everything is derivative from something else, and those ideas are of public domain. Now, I have a right to eat, that doesn't mean I shouldn't pay for my food.

We severely part ways on your first statement. Not everything is derivative, each work has some original content.

Quote:Free can be a loose concept, many sites rely only on our time and attention as means of payment (ads). So there's a nice point to consider about how we pay for our cultural goods.

The business model is the provider's choice - its success is the consumer's.

Quote:And about the ethics... that's tricky, it's not always as clear as it seems. Many artists barely get paid if you buy a cd, the middle man takes all the money, and a lot of different situations: poverty, globalization and country-specific restrictions, language (you'd be surprised how hard it can be to find and buy some things with subtitles), over-prizing... All of those have ethical implications and saying "piracy is always wrong" doesn't acknowledges all the situations.

I daresay you'll make a good lawyer - there is some pretty slippery logic in there. Consider

Quote:I make a leap of faith and believe there is some way to make things work, there is some balance somehow. We do need to work to find it though, a good solution is not obvious in this case.

Technology can likely make it work.

Yeah, my comment on everything being derivative was too shallow, I meant that every original work springs from a common cultural well. Because that source is "public domain", as in it is necessarily shared because it's ancestral, there is a right to enjoy, or participate in, the new product (for a fee! don't bite me).

It's not slippery logic if it's true. There are things to be considered, and it's only fair to do so without bias.

I agree technology seems a good place to find solutions, but we should also be careful not to fall in the usual places of DPI and other intrusive mechanisms.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
09-10-2013, 02:58 PM
(09-10-2013 02:56 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I agree technology seems a good place to find solutions, but we should also be careful not to fall in the usual places of DPI and other intrusive mechanisms.

Sorry, but what's DPI?

~ Umberto Eco
09-10-2013, 03:03 PM

That's a good point you bring up and that's sort of a gray area for me. I see nothing wrong with letting someone borrow it, so long as (like you said) no one is copying it. But also, as you said, you could have thousands of friends and if they only watch it once and never watch it again, never go out and buy the DVD for repeated viewing at home, that's money that didn't go to the folks who created it, and I'm always going to be more sympathetic to the people who made the movie than the consumer, because I feel like we're similar in that we're both in the entertainment business and I want to see them compensated for their work just like I'd want to be compensated for mine.

Libraries kind of bother me for the same reason. It's great that there's a way for those who are economically challenged to enjoy literature in that way, but I think if you can afford to buy your books, you should. Same for movies. Or any form of entertainment. It seems that people put creative things into a different category, assign them a lesser value than other things, and that bothers me.

09-10-2013, 03:07 PM
(09-10-2013 02:53 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 02:46 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  When?

You're quite the apologist. Can we argue reality?

I was asking a legit question. You provided an answer, so I was just hoping you would explain why. Explain it as you would to a borderline sociopath who has trouble seeing where the line is drawn.