Corporal Punishment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Corporal Punishment
In the west this has been frowned upon since the end of the 19th Century, but as I was driving home tonight, I considered the Idea that it might be effective in situation where other, more modern disciplinary actions have been ineffective at deterring repeat offenses and the offender keeps posing a danger to the public.

Example: A 35-year old male who has been convicted of four DUIs is finally released from prison on parole. Within four days he gets behind the wheel of a car belonging to a relative while intoxicated. He sipped through a stop sign and T-bones a sedan, injuring the driver and seriously injuring a six year old boy in the backseat.

In this case it seems like sending him back to prison for another DUI isn't working and it will cost thousands of dollars to incarcerate him again. It would seem like more drastic measures should be taken here, such as physical punishment, provided the penalty meted out is not too extreme as to violate he Eight Amendment.

Thoughts?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2013, 10:13 PM
RE: Corporal Punishment
The problem with corporal punishments is that though they're effective, it's a slippery slope for the police, they start with some reasonable punishment but end up torturing people.
If we could keep it reasonable it would be great but we can't Sad

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
07-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Interesting, but I think another problem is that different people have different pain threshholds (a good lashing is not going to be a deterrent to everyone, and it will affect one person differently than the next), and different people will or will not be humiliated by this sort of thing (if you are using it for that reason). And some of the people doing it are likely to be sadistic fucks and take advantage of their ability to legally beat the shit out of people. I think trying to do this in a fair way and to do it the same way everywhere it's done would be problematic, and I'm not sure if it's really going to be more of a deterrent to crime (to everyone).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
07-11-2013, 10:19 PM
I don't believe Carlo is suggesting the police mete out the punishment. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2013, 10:25 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 10:28 PM by sporehux.)
Corporal Punishment is a lazy copout that would only work for a tiny % of people, most will become worse from it.

Resort to corporal punishment tends to reduce the likelihood of employing more effective, humane, and creative ways of interacting.
Corporal punishment intended to influence "undesirable responses" confirms they that he or she is an "undesirable person"; that lowers self-esteem and may have chronic physiological consequences;
Research has shown that the effective use of punishment in eliminating undesirable behavior requires precision in timing, duration, intensity, and specificity, as well as considerable sophistication in controlling a variety of relevant environmental and cognitive factors, such that punishment administered in institutional settings, without attention to all these factors, is likely to instill hostility, rage, and a sense of powerlessness.
not only failing at reducing the undesirable behavior; but creating the opposite effect.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
07-11-2013, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 11:27 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I think privates and sergeants should be punished, and not the corporals.
That is all.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-11-2013, 10:51 PM
(07-11-2013 10:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I think privates and sergeants should be punished, and not corporals.
That is all.

Will be a lot of fat white males doing crimes just to kicked in the penis.

07-11-2013, 11:21 PM
(07-11-2013 10:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't believe Carlo is suggesting the police mete out the punishment. Consider

You mean as they do now?

More people are executed by the cops than the courts!

http://jonathanturley.org/2013/09/16/nor...armed-man/

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
07-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Corporal punishment is just wrong in every way, and no offence to the people here who support it, you are no better than the theists trying to bend reality to your position.
There is zero evidence from studies that show corporal punishment having positive effects on most people.

Its a hateful knee jerk reaction out of anger and vengence

[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
08-11-2013, 12:41 AM
spore, your link only points to research done on children subjected to Corporal Punishment at their schools or in their home...so far I haven't been able to find one study of how Adults react to physical punishment. Can you find some evidence for your claims from an adult perspective?

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"