Corporal Punishment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2013, 12:47 AM
RE: Corporal Punishment
Adult criminals are like childrenSmile,,

All the reports and research i tried to find was behind paywalls.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2013, 12:51 AM
(08-11-2013 12:47 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Adult criminals are like childrenSmile,,

just because I'm over opinionated and and cockily sure any reports would back my argument, doesn't make me wrong.

All the reports and research i tried to find was behind paywalls.

Can anyone give a positive for corporal punishment that would benefit the rehabilitation of the criminal, all i can see is a short term perverse satisfaction for the victim.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
08-11-2013, 05:05 AM
(07-11-2013 11:21 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 10:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't believe Carlo is suggesting the police mete out the punishment. Consider

You mean as they do now?

More people are executed by the cops than the courts!

http://jonathanturley.org/2013/09/16/nor...armed-man/

You're the master of anecdote.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2013, 05:24 AM
Why do we think it would work in the first place? Seriously what teenager wouldn't choose a spanking over being grounded from phone/computer/video games with zero remorse or intention to change? What adult wouldn't choose a thrashing over prison with no remorse or intention to change?
On top of that there is no safe way to allow for corporal punishment without it leading to horrible abuses of the power. Don't we have enough police brutality as it is?
I don't believe violence solves anything.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
08-11-2013, 05:28 AM
(08-11-2013 12:41 AM)Likos02 Wrote:  spore, your link only points to research done on children subjected to Corporal Punishment at their schools or in their home...so far I haven't been able to find one study of how Adults react to physical punishment. Can you find some evidence for your claims from an adult perspective?

I don't get it. Every time a theist pops into this forum everyone is like, I don't believe in god so you are the one with the burden of proof not me.
Same rule, love, I don't believe in corporal punishment so show me some proof that it actually works.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
08-11-2013, 11:21 AM
(07-11-2013 10:03 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  In the west this has been frowned upon since the end of the 19th Century, but as I was driving home tonight, I considered the Idea that it might be effective in situation where other, more modern disciplinary actions have been ineffective at deterring repeat offenses and the offender keeps posing a danger to the public.

Example: A 35-year old male who has been convicted of four DUIs is finally released from prison on parole. Within four days he gets behind the wheel of a car belonging to a relative while intoxicated. He sipped through a stop sign and T-bones a sedan, injuring the driver and seriously injuring a six year old boy in the backseat.

In this case it seems like sending him back to prison for another DUI isn't working and it will cost thousands of dollars to incarcerate him again. It would seem like more drastic measures should be taken here, such as physical punishment, provided the penalty meted out is not too extreme as to violate he Eight Amendment.

Thoughts?
How about rehabilitating people instead of just inventing new ways to punish them?
This guy was imprisoned for being a irresponsible drunk bastard , what you need to ask is why he got out of prison still being a irresponsible drunk bastard.

If you think it's too expensive or too impractical to rehabilitate people, then ask yourself what is more expensive and impractical , to teach this guy to be contributing member of society or to let him kill or injure someone else again and to keep him in prison.

You might wanna take some cues from Sweden.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
08-11-2013, 06:28 PM
(07-11-2013 10:15 PM)amyb Wrote:  Interesting, but I think another problem is that different people have different pain threshholds (a good lashing is not going to be a deterrent to everyone, and it will affect one person differently than the next), and different people will or will not be humiliated by this sort of thing (if you are using it for that reason). And some of the people doing it are likely to be sadistic fucks and take advantage of their ability to legally beat the shit out of people. I think trying to do this in a fair way and to do it the same way everywhere it's done would be problematic, and I'm not sure if it's really going to be more of a deterrent to crime (to everyone).

Interesting. Though I suppose people react and adjust differently to inprisonment as well.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
08-11-2013, 06:34 PM
(08-11-2013 11:21 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 10:03 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  In the west this has been frowned upon since the end of the 19th Century, but as I was driving home tonight, I considered the Idea that it might be effective in situation where other, more modern disciplinary actions have been ineffective at deterring repeat offenses and the offender keeps posing a danger to the public.

Example: A 35-year old male who has been convicted of four DUIs is finally released from prison on parole. Within four days he gets behind the wheel of a car belonging to a relative while intoxicated. He sipped through a stop sign and T-bones a sedan, injuring the driver and seriously injuring a six year old boy in the backseat.

In this case it seems like sending him back to prison for another DUI isn't working and it will cost thousands of dollars to incarcerate him again. It would seem like more drastic measures should be taken here, such as physical punishment, provided the penalty meted out is not too extreme as to violate he Eight Amendment.

Thoughts?
How about rehabilitating people instead of just inventing new ways to punish them?
This guy was imprisoned for being a irresponsible drunk bastard , what you need to ask is why he got out of prison still being a irresponsible drunk bastard.

If you think it's too expensive or too impractical to rehabilitate people, then ask yourself what is more expensive and impractical , to teach this guy to be contributing member of society or to let him kill or injure someone else again and to keep him in prison.

It would be nice to rehabilitate the offender if one could. I guess my thoughts here are for a harsher punishment which gets the message across to more narcisstic offenders who have been previously processed through the justice system and reguse to chage because they simply dont care. I would prefer to use more humane pealties before the use of corporal pumishment is considered. Corporal punishment would never be used on a first offender for any reason.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
08-11-2013, 06:50 PM
(08-11-2013 06:34 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 11:21 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  How about rehabilitating people instead of just inventing new ways to punish them?

It would be nice to rehabilitate the offender if one could.

Of course one could.
Quote: I guess my thoughts here are for a harsher punishment which gets the message across to more narcisstic offenders who have been previously processed through the justice system and reguse to chage because they simply dont care. I would prefer to use more humane pealties before the use of corporal pumishment is considered. Corporal punishment would never be used on a first offender for any reason.
Harsher punishment is ineffective ,it doesn't get the message across. There is no indicator that even a capital punishment effects crime rates. Nobody will change just because you locked him up, and they won't change if you inflict pain on them. That will just make them more ruthless when you eventually let them get out of prison.

Violence only begets violence.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
08-11-2013, 06:51 PM
(08-11-2013 05:24 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Why do we think it would work in the first place? Seriously what teenager wouldn't choose a spanking over being grounded from phone/computer/video games with zero remorse or intention to change? What adult wouldn't choose a thrashing over prison with no remorse or intention to change?
On top of that there is no safe way to allow for corporal punishment without it leading to horrible abuses of the power. Don't we have enough police brutality as it is?
I don't believe violence solves anything.

personally,i prefer spanking(this totaly sounds wrong) over grounded from the internet

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....