Corporal Punishment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2013, 07:47 PM
RE: Corporal Punishment
It will always be an option considered by some (whether it should be or not) for the simple fact it's pain that keeps creatures from running headlong into a forest fire, not the thought of how embarrassing it would be to be caught in it.
Pain = Not Good.
I don't see a way to implement such punishment, though, in a totally objective way without implanting everyone with a dog collar-like device that zaps you every time you're about to do something wrong, but I don't want to be electrocuted every time I jaywalk Undecided
Meh.
I don't have any stats, but corporal punishment "works" as a deterrent sometimes ?
Are there any methods of rehabilitation that always work on everyone?
idk *shrugs*
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2013, 07:49 PM
(08-11-2013 06:51 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 05:24 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Why do we think it would work in the first place? Seriously what teenager wouldn't choose a spanking over being grounded from phone/computer/video games with zero remorse or intention to change? What adult wouldn't choose a thrashing over prison with no remorse or intention to change?
On top of that there is no safe way to allow for corporal punishment without it leading to horrible abuses of the power. Don't we have enough police brutality as it is?
I don't believe violence solves anything.

personally,i prefer spanking(this totaly sounds wrong) over grounded from the internet

That was my point, love. You would opt for the spanking because it means you get out of having a real consequence for your actions. There is no real lesson in corporal punishment.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
08-11-2013, 09:19 PM
(08-11-2013 05:24 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  What adult wouldn't choose a thrashing over prison with no remorse or intention to change? I don't believe violence solves anything.

Naturally that depends on the conditions. Would prison be a county club, like in Arrested Development? Or would it be like The Wire where I'd get raped and be the sex slave of some horse hung black thug? Obviously if it's the latter I'd take your side and remind the judge that a thrashing would do nothing to reform me. Big Grin
15-11-2013, 05:41 AM
It should always be on the table, and maybe behind closed doors.
15-11-2013, 05:59 AM
(08-11-2013 06:50 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 06:34 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  It would be nice to rehabilitate the offender if one could.

Of course one could.

Not always. In the case of an habitual drunk driver, the person is obviously an alcoholic and needs medical treatment - not jail time, or beatings. We would need to take practical measures like not allowing that person to hold a drivers license, etc. The same goes for any substance abuse issues.

Even with this, rehabilitation is not a guarantee.

Corporal punishment still shouldn't be used in these cases, though.
22-11-2013, 08:02 PM
(07-11-2013 10:13 PM)nach_in Wrote:  The problem with corporal punishments is that though they're effective, it's a slippery slope for the police, they start with some reasonable punishment but end up torturing people.
If we could keep it reasonable it would be great but we can't Sad

Sounds like your are referring to Jon Burge a former Chicago police detective. He called it interrogation techniques. minorities called it torture.
22-11-2013, 08:17 PM
(22-11-2013 08:02 PM)shallwechat71 Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 10:13 PM)nach_in Wrote:  The problem with corporal punishments is that though they're effective, it's a slippery slope for the police, they start with some reasonable punishment but end up torturing people.
If we could keep it reasonable it would be great but we can't Sad

Sounds like your are referring to Jon Burge a former Chicago police detective. He called it interrogation techniques. minorities called it torture.

I'm not referring to nobody in particular, but yeah, that's a good example

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
23-11-2013, 05:55 AM
I'm not totally against the idea of corporal punishment in theory. The problem becomes when it's put into practice. It is easy for the discipline givers to push the boundaries of what is considered allowable, as it should certainly be restricted. I would be more inclined to agree that certain types of corporal punishment is acceptable, such as being made to stand on bottles for a few hours. Something that doesn't allow one person to directly cause the pain, and is more measurable. Something that's easy restricted. Whipping, hitting, and the like are more dangerous, and more deadly. Often, an additional problem with corporal punishment is the extra costs due to the need for additional medical care. I do not know how effective it is in deterring crime, however incarceration doesn't seem to be very effective, and it is also arguably more inhumane, and extended periods of incarceration is also more expensive. I can't decide very easily without more data and more experience in crime and punishment.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
23-11-2013, 11:35 AM
In my opinion, the type of punishment should be entirely dependent on the person being punished. I hate these blanket statements that assumes all people are the same....some people will be incarcerated and never commit the crime again, some need rehabilitation, some need to be put down, some need to have the shit beat out of them. But we need to stop this whole thought process of "one size fits all".

Do I think some people should go to prison? Yes. Do I think some people need to be whipped? Yes. Do I think some people simply need a counselor? Yes. However, Punishment should always be preventative and corrective in nature, not sadistic. Do what needs to be done, but humanely.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
23-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Corporal punishment???

Treating a symptom rather than dealing with the problem.

Seriously???

The most extreme punishment, that is the death penalty, is in place in certain parts of the planet. Guess what though, they keep killing people. That to me shows it does not work, will not work and will never work.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post