Corporate America and Natural Hair

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Corporate America and Natural Hair
So I was having a discussion/argument with mother about what to with my hair when I go out on my own. I thought my best bet was to keep it in a simple natural style. Twisties, Locks, or braids. But she thinks once I leave college I'll have to straighten my hair again, apparently you can't be a lawyer with locks.
But she did make fair point, why are there political and social connotations attached to my hair, and the way people view black women with natural hair?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
19-08-2013, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2013 10:59 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
RE: Corporate America and Natural Hair
I think as long as it looks professional -- it's not an issue.

Edit: I do believe that hair or appeance should match the profession.

I don't think I'd hire a lawyer with a lot of peircings that were visible. Or half his face and neck tattooed.

People in general are superficial.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-08-2013, 05:59 AM
It sucks but there is a degree of conformity in a corporate environment. Gone are the days when everyone dressed exactly the same but standing out for the wrong reasons isn't advisable. Sure, you can try to be the rebel but it may hinder your career. You want to be known for excellent work not a hairstyle or manner of dress. I've seen many corporates over the years establish a more radical dress or hair style after they've cemented their reputation based on their ability.
20-08-2013, 08:08 AM
(20-08-2013 05:59 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  It sucks but there is a degree of conformity in a corporate environment. Gone are the days when everyone dressed exactly the same but standing out for the wrong reasons isn't advisable. Sure, you can try to be the rebel but it may hinder your career. You want to be known for excellent work not a hairstyle or manner of dress. I've seen many corporates over the years establish a more radical dress or hair style after they've cemented their reputation based on their ability.

Well that's the thing why is the hair I'm born with considered "radical"? Straightening my hair maybe considered good form, but it's not healthy, and it's not affordable. This isn't about "rebellion" its about what I as blind person can manage, while keeping my hair healty.
20-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Consider

Why not go for a Brazilian?

20-08-2013, 08:44 AM
*rolls eyes*
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
20-08-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm not cutting my hair
20-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Look and act as professional as possible. Attitude will be a major thing when interviewing. Your hair may cause some to write you off but others will look past that as long as you present youself well in every other way.

I don't see it so much as a racial thing (whites with dreads would be in the same boat) as the natural impulse for groups to conform. Groupthink can be very strong in some places and any difference is bad, you don't want to work in place like that. I've worked with many African- Americans and several wore braids etc. it didn't hold them back as long as they were good at what they did.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
20-08-2013, 09:16 AM
There are many styles, specially for women, just find someone with good sense of style and work out a comfortable and nice one for you. A short afro with a ribbon is nice and it's not rebellious at all. Small locks, if well done and nicely arranged look very nice in my opinion.

It's not so much about the style itself, but how it's arranged and how it looks in your head. In any case, if in an interview you notice your hair is a problem, you could always blame your blindness, just saying, being oblivious to how you look should be a perk.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
20-08-2013, 09:24 AM
I had to check so I went and found your post on how a blind person uses a computer. I knew I could see your hair in it so I confirmed what I wanted to.

I have no idea of how old your mother is but I must comment on her perception. She is living in the world of her youth, a youth where simply being black was a restriction. A youth where one must become as white as they could including not having kinky hair. Keep your hair your hair.

I might recommend against long dreads but that is to an extent personal style from someone who is mostly bald.