Corporate America and Natural Hair

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2013, 09:46 AM
RE: Corporate America and Natural Hair
Sigh my mothers hair is anything but kinky, she grannys hair. It's all shiny and black and wavy. All has to do to straighten it is flat iron it a little. My hair isn't kinky either but it's curly and bounces around a lot see

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2013, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2013 11:47 AM by JAH.)
I am the proud great uncle to two lovely quarter african american girls who have one wavy and one somewhat kinky hair. I would point out that african american means there is a lot of white in you, listen for example when Malcolm X talks about his red hair, he was after all called Louisiana Red in a former life.

I still think your mother is living in a former world. Your hair, kinky or not looks fine to me.

Your will stand or not on your own merits. You have demonstrated on this forum, admittedly at a distance from me, excellent talents. You will do well to not worry about how you are perceived physically.

Far to often in the united states we allow ourselves to be confused by perception. I as an older white male have thought often about entering into a new career of shoplifting, knowing I could get away with it.

Disagree with your mother, accepting of course that she is your mother.

Interesting that you posted this is the politics section, unfortunately it was probably the correct choice. Odd how politics and human interaction so often converge.
Find all posts by this user
20-08-2013, 02:55 PM
If you're already not accepting of "corporate america" I wouldn't suggest it as a career field to enter.

I am fortunate to fit the stereotype of my industry in a way. I'm a big (fat) guy with long hair, long beard and a lot of visible tattoos. When I walk into a room full of engineers and accountants, I stand out. When I start talking, I think it's a shock that I do know what the hell I'm saying, the processes involved, the cost, how to get it done and WHO to call if it can't be done.

I've spent a lot of years in ditches and bent over concrete slabs along with a few in college to get a couple Associate's Degrees to get where I am and have been for the last 2 years.

I am sure I have a cap on my advancement at some point because I won't wear a shirt and a tie. I'm okay with that because the trade off is, I don't have to wear a shirt and a tie.

You may flatten your hair, hide your tattoos, dress like everyone else, but if your heart's not in it, you'll crave the freedom to be who you want to be (unless you're make XXX,XXX dollars a year <-- this number is set by you).

I'm adding a picture of me to this post. Yes, I am the boss on my job. I also teach at a local Community College. No one gives me shit about it because I have the weight of reputation behind me. If I were an unknown, I think it would be a different situation.

Grow your hair. Wear an afro with a purple scarf in it. Smile at people. Tell them, "It's ok, I'm really, really good at what I do" Grow old and never regret missing a chance to be who you are for the want of $$$

[Image: 7-4-13_zps5808e61a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Regular_Joe's post
20-08-2013, 09:50 PM
(20-08-2013 02:55 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  If you're already not accepting of "corporate america" I wouldn't suggest it as a career field to enter.
I agree with this. But, is law actually part of the corporate career zone?
[+] 1 user Likes Juv's post
20-08-2013, 09:52 PM
(20-08-2013 09:46 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Sigh my mothers hair is anything but kinky, she grannys hair. It's all shiny and black and wavy. All has to do to straighten it is flat iron it a little. My hair isn't kinky either but it's curly and bounces around a lot see
Your hair in that photo would probably not be considered that radical for court.
21-08-2013, 01:02 AM
(20-08-2013 09:46 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Sigh my mothers hair is anything but kinky, she grannys hair. It's all shiny and black and wavy. All has to do to straighten it is flat iron it a little. My hair isn't kinky either but it's curly and bounces around a lot see

Nothing outlandish there...looks professional to me.
21-08-2013, 04:31 AM
(20-08-2013 09:50 PM)Juv Wrote:  
(20-08-2013 02:55 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  If you're already not accepting of "corporate america" I wouldn't suggest it as a career field to enter.
I agree with this. But, is law actually part of the corporate career zone?

Good thought.

Not always. I've read that most lawyers never litigate a thing.

Get a law degree. Find a niche for yourself in the market and rock that 'fro if it appeals to you.

And once you gain a reputation, step in front of a judge, look him/her in the eye and smite the demons of stereotyped!
21-08-2013, 07:15 AM
My $.02 is this. If you do not think that “corporate america” will accept you then find a job someplace else. There are other avenues to work than in the corporate environment.

That being said:
I used to have a long “hippie” beard and highly visible tattoos and would get shit from my bosses about “professionalism”. Yet, I would run circles around coworkers when it came to performance. Granted I covered all of that up and shaved for my interview but once you’re there I think that most places anymore are going to care about performance and not looks, well the good companies will. You could always look into working for a state or local governmental agency reviewing contracts etc… A lot of my experience is that if you’re in the back office and not working with the “customer” base no one gives a shit.
21-08-2013, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've seen and heard some pretty weird lawyers. Big Grin

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
21-08-2013, 09:07 PM
(21-08-2013 08:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've seen and heard some pretty weird lawyers. Big Grin

I'm scared
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user