Corporations and politics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2016, 03:02 PM
RE: Corporations and politics
(24-06-2016 02:56 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 02:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Come on BnW, you know by now he has an endless supply of inanity.

This really took a level of obtuse thinking I didn't realize was possible.

Remember, he's a Christian. Who hasn't read the Bible.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2016, 05:06 PM
(24-06-2016 11:50 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  What the actual fuck are you trying to argue here? This is so stupid to be not even wrong.

I don't have a problem with Paypal taking the action it did. Corporations are composed of people and people do not lose their rights just because they come together as a group to do business.

I started this thread because I am curious how people who believe that since corporations are not natural persons it is okay to regulate their speech. If Paypal can try to influence politics by cancelling the opening of a call center, why can't it spend unfettered amounts of money on political ads?
24-06-2016, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2016 05:15 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(24-06-2016 12:54 PM)Ace Wrote:  you have to be incredibly stupid to think corporation are like actual people with human rights

You have to be incredibly stupid to think that people lose their human rights when they come together as a group to do stuff.....like conduct business.
24-06-2016, 05:15 PM
(24-06-2016 02:42 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 11:39 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If corporations are not people, does the state have the right to force Paypal to not cancel the opening of that call center? Can the state basically say, "Sorry Paypal...you're not a person so you have no right to refuse to do business in a particular area as a form political protest"?

No, they can't.

Got any more inane questions?

If they can't be stopped from boycotting areas in an effort to influence the politics of that area, why can they be stopped from spending money on political ads? I'm trying to figure out why some people think it is okay for Disney to threaten to not make any movies in North Carolina, but it is not okay for Disney to spend as much money as they want on a candidate.

I think Disney should be able to do both.
24-06-2016, 05:58 PM
If you can't understand the difference between not taking an action and taking an action, then you are incapable of having your question answered. You clearly suffer from Doesn't Understand the Most Basic Accessible Situation Syndrom.

Basically, your question demonstrates that you're a DUMBASS and incapable of ever grasping the most basic kinds of logic. Time to lick the windows, take the short bus, and hope you never procreate.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
24-06-2016, 06:23 PM
(24-06-2016 05:58 PM)BnW Wrote:  If you can't understand the difference between not taking an action and taking an action, then you are incapable of having your question answered. You clearly suffer from Doesn't Understand the Most Basic Accessible Situation Syndrom.

Basically, your question demonstrates that you're a DUMBASS and incapable of ever grasping the most basic kinds of logic. Time to lick the windows, take the short bus, and hope you never procreate.

Next time just stay silent or admit you can't explain the contradiction. The answer you gave above only made you look like a fool. You just said you're not going to answer it and instead take the opportunity to toss out an insult. Its obvious you did not have a good answer otherwise you would have simply posted it.

People views should be consistent. If they do not like big business spending money for political gain, they shouldn't like it when big business threatens to boycott for political gain. In both situations the big business is utilizing its resources for political gain. My understanding is that the problem people have with big businesses using their resources for political gain is since they have more resources than an individual, they drown out the voice of the individual.
24-06-2016, 06:23 PM
(24-06-2016 05:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You have to be incredibly stupid to think that people lose their human rights when they come together as a group to do stuff.....like conduct business.

It is more akin to the corporations having lost their humanity.
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post
24-06-2016, 06:31 PM
(24-06-2016 06:23 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 05:58 PM)BnW Wrote:  If you can't understand the difference between not taking an action and taking an action, then you are incapable of having your question answered. You clearly suffer from Doesn't Understand the Most Basic Accessible Situation Syndrom.

Next time just stay silent or admit you can't explain the contradiction. The answer you gave above only made you look like a fool. You just said you're not going to answer it and instead take the opportunity to toss out an insult. Its obvious you did not have a good answer otherwise you would have simply posted it.

People views should be consistent. If they do not like big business spending money for political gain, they shouldn't like it when big business threatens to boycott for political gain. In both situations the big business is utilizing its resources for political gain. My understanding is that the problem people have with big businesses using their resources for political gain is since they have more resources than an individual, they drown out the voice of the individual.

You can't really be this obtuse.

Ok, I'll play. There is no contradiction. You can't force an entity to do business in a given location. You can't legislate or regulate inaction. Individual consumers can register their disagreement by not doing business with those companies. But, a government can't legislate an entity into doing a specific type of business.

A government can, on the other hand, regulate an action like spending money to buy political influence. They are not the same thing. They are not remotely close. And, you have to be a DUMBASS not to see that.

You're worse than that though. I'm very confident you do get the difference.

[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
24-06-2016, 06:49 PM
(24-06-2016 06:31 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 06:23 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Next time just stay silent or admit you can't explain the contradiction. The answer you gave above only made you look like a fool. You just said you're not going to answer it and instead take the opportunity to toss out an insult. Its obvious you did not have a good answer otherwise you would have simply posted it.

You can't really be this obtuse.

Ok, I'll play. There is no contradiction. You can't force an entity to do business in a given location. You can't legislate or regulate inaction. Individual consumers can register their disagreement by not doing business with those companies. But, a government can't legislate an entity into doing a specific type of business.

A government can, on the other hand, regulate an action like spending money to buy political influence. They are not the same thing. They are not remotely close. And, you have to be a DUMBASS not to see that.

You're worse than that though. I'm very confident you do get the difference.

The government forced banks to offer home loans in black neighborhoods so apparently you can force an entity to do business in given locations. Also you could just levy a fine whenever a business states they are boycotting something for political gain.

You want to try again? Maybe in your third attempt you will finally not look so foolish.
24-06-2016, 06:54 PM
Uh, no. The government NEVER forced any business to do business in any jurisdiction EVER. What they have done is say "if you want to do business in a given state or locality, then you must do .... [fill in the blank]. The option not to do business in that location always exists.

Once again, you're wrong. It's not your fault, though. You're a DUMBASS.