Correlations between Intelligence & Interest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2017, 01:17 AM
Correlations between Intelligence & Interest
I would like to know if there is a correlation between someone's intelligence and how interesting something is, no matter how superficial, simplistic, complex or intriguing is.

For example is either or none of the following statements true?

1. Concerning the same object, subject matter or lifestyle, a more intelligent person finds it a lot more interesting, complex and intriguing than a less intelligent person would find.

2. Concerning the same object, subject matter or lifestyle, a more intelligent person than otherwise has 'intellectually outgrown' it enough to find it so boring, mundane, repetitive and dull such that they need to change it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2017, 04:46 AM
RE: Correlations between Intelligence & Interest
I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find correlations for just about anything.

The issue is are they spurious or not?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
08-05-2017, 06:48 AM
(08-05-2017 01:17 AM)Thinker Wrote:  I would like to know if there is a correlation between someone's intelligence and how interesting something is, no matter how superficial, simplistic, complex or intriguing is.

For example is either or none of the following statements true?

1. Concerning the same object, subject matter or lifestyle, a more intelligent person finds it a lot more interesting, complex and intriguing than a less intelligent person would find.

2. Concerning the same object, subject matter or lifestyle, a more intelligent person than otherwise has 'intellectually outgrown' it enough to find it so boring, mundane, repetitive and dull such that they need to change it.

Sounds like consecutive situations to me.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-05-2017, 07:12 AM
Why ask the questions? It seems to me that you're trying to manage some real-life situation, and it would be easier to help you deal with it if you describe that situation.

Regarding your question, I'd say that intelligence/ability to understand a subject and one's emotional position towards that subject (interest) aren't always or necessarily correlated. However, the "interest" OR another driver (such as family or social pressure) is needed in order to do the work required to excel at a subject past the first, most basic levels of instruction.