Corrupted Innocence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2015, 06:17 PM
RE: Corrupted Innocence
(05-09-2015 06:12 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 09:29 AM)Free Wrote:  I understand how many of you will still disagree with my signature though, but I just felt that it should be explained a bit more so that perhaps some of you would understand where I am coming from.
Thanks for explaining. Not that you're obligated to or something.

I have to be one of those who doesn't really agree, although I'm sympathetic to the notion.

It's my position that although children aren't born with some sort of baked-in religious ideology, they are born with perceptual quirks common to most people. Most notably agency inference and confirmation bias. In early childhood they are also very prone to magical thinking and before about age 10 have difficulty separating fantasy from reality. So I maintain that if no adult ever mentioned religion they might still make up some sort of primitive proto-religion half the time anyway. However, lacking indoctrination, reinforcement and social pressure, they would likely outgrow it, just as some children have invisible friends and outgrow that.

I agree that kids might make up some primitive belief system and then outgrow it later on--even if there was no such thing as actual religion. That said, what can help gear a child's mind to correct ways of thinking is rational adults. When you have adults who feed false beliefs/reasons for things to children this facilitates a child believing ridiculous things as a future adult.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-09-2015, 06:19 PM
(05-09-2015 06:12 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 09:29 AM)Free Wrote:  I understand how many of you will still disagree with my signature though, but I just felt that it should be explained a bit more so that perhaps some of you would understand where I am coming from.
Thanks for explaining. Not that you're obligated to or something.

I have to be one of those who doesn't really agree, although I'm sympathetic to the notion.

It's my position that although children aren't born with some sort of baked-in religious ideology,

But that part right there is precisely my point. We are born with no beliefs in deities at all, and by definition, that is what atheism is.

Quote: they are born with perceptual quirks common to most people. Most notably agency inference and confirmation bias.

I think all sentient life is born that way, no?

Quote: In early childhood they are also very prone to magical thinking and before about age 10 have difficulty separating fantasy from reality. So I maintain that if no adult ever mentioned religion they might still make up some sort of primitive proto-religion half the time anyway.

That is possible for sure, and in fact I think we all witness it either in ourselves or our children.

Quote:However, lacking indoctrination, reinforcement and social pressure, they would likely outgrow it, just as some children have invisible friends and outgrow that.

Exactly.

However, some grow up and produce religions also.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
05-09-2015, 06:22 PM
(05-09-2015 06:17 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 06:12 PM)mordant Wrote:  Thanks for explaining. Not that you're obligated to or something.

It's my position that although children aren't born with some sort of baked-in religious ideology, they are born with perceptual quirks common to most people. Most notably agency inference and confirmation bias. In early childhood they are also very prone to magical thinking and before about age 10 have difficulty separating fantasy from reality. So I maintain that if no adult ever mentioned religion they might still make up some sort of primitive proto-religion half the time anyway. However, lacking indoctrination, reinforcement and social pressure, they would likely outgrow it, just as some children have invisible friends and outgrow that.

I agree that kids might make up some primitive belief system and then outgrow it later on--even if there was no such thing as actual religion. That said, what can help gear a child's mind to correct ways of thinking is rational adults. When you have adults who feed false beliefs/reasons for things to children this facilitates a child believing ridiculous things as a future adult.

Hear! Hear!

Thumbsup

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
05-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Tom and intuition should never appear together. Especially after that garbage in the thread about the clerk in KY getting jailed.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
05-09-2015, 07:30 PM
(04-09-2015 09:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

thank you for the music, GirlyGentleMan!!

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
06-09-2015, 04:29 AM
(05-09-2015 07:30 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 09:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

thank you for the music, GirlyGentleMan!!

keep listening to good music Alla...you wil be happy.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2015, 09:48 AM
(06-09-2015 04:29 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 07:30 PM)Alla Wrote:  thank you for the music, GirlyGentleMan!!

keep listening to good music Alla...you wil be happy.
thanks for good advice, Mark Fulton, but I figure it out long time ago Smile

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED