Cortisone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Cortisone?
Anybody had a cortisone shot, particularly in the knee? I'm being given the option of one to try to relieve some on-going pain from some arthritis behind the kneecap. They did xrays and MRI and there's nothing major going on but it is painful enough to be a constant irritant.

I've used glucosamine supplements with no difference and OTC pain relievers don't do anything for it either (naproxen helps but only because it puts me right to sleep despite any pain).

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
03-03-2015, 09:46 PM
RE: Cortisone?
(03-03-2015 09:38 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Anybody had a cortisone shot, particularly in the knee? I'm being given the option of one to try to relieve some on-going pain from some arthritis behind the kneecap. They did xrays and MRI and there's nothing major going on but it is painful enough to be a constant irritant.

I've used glucosamine supplements with no difference and OTC pain relievers don't do anything for it either (naproxen helps but only because it puts me right to sleep despite any pain).

Pops has had a few over the last few years for tennis elbow. He says they help immensely.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
03-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Obviously tendons and arthritis might be different... tendon inflamation still needs rehab and rest. I'm guessing arthritis doesn't get rehab, but I still wouldn't over do it.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
03-03-2015, 09:58 PM
My mother in law did. It helped but only lasted a few months.

Eventually she got a knee replacement. All better now.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-03-2015, 10:12 PM
(03-03-2015 09:49 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Obviously tendons and arthritis might be different... tendon inflamation still needs rehab and rest. I'm guessing arthritis doesn't get rehab, but I still wouldn't over do it.

Actually they are suggesting physical therapy to strengthen the quads but I already walk a few miles daily plus 30-60 minutes on a stationary bike plus regular leg workouts at the gym so I know that the strength and flexibility are good. The workout intensity doesn't affect the pain as long as I'm careful to keep things lined up straight. If I accidentally angle it wrong, even just walking, I can be a day or two with really strong pain.

03-03-2015, 10:17 PM
C
(03-03-2015 09:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My mother in law did. It helped but only lasted a few months.

Thanks (I think!), I was half expecting them to suggest that but they said there it is definitely not called for in my case. This same place did an ACL replacement on my other knee a few years ago and that went great so I generally trust them.

I'm just wondering how long cortisone might help for and if there are any side effects so I appreciate the feedback.

03-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Dad has been getting 3 to 4 a year for the last few years due shoulder pain. He is in his 80's though and not that worried about long term effects. He'd rather be comfortable now. There are numerous long term health risks though. Some of them sever.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
03-03-2015, 10:47 PM
(03-03-2015 10:17 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 09:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My mother in law did. It helped but only lasted a few months.

Thanks (I think!), I was half expecting them to suggest that but they said there it is definitely not called for in my case. This same place did an ACL replacement on my other knee a few years ago and that went great so I generally trust them.

I'm just wondering how long cortisone might help for and if there are any side effects so I appreciate the feedback.

She had it three times over around a year and half. She said the shot (the first one hurt) would start working pretty much right away, within a few days she could walk without any pain or meds. It would last around 3 months and slowly drop off from there until she was in pain again and needed another shot. She never mentioned any side effects...except the first shot hurt.

I sent a text to a friend of mine, her husband, I know had one in his knee for arthritis, I think late last year, but I haven't heard back.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Well, I had a cortisone injection this morning and I figured I'd update you all since I know you've been worried about it. Big Grin

The shot itself was painless; she sprayed something on the skin first that was very cold and I felt nothing at all from the needle. She said it'd be a few days before it would be effective but even after half an hour the improvement was very noticeable.

The only side effects so far are a metallic taste in my mouth, very mild nausea, and my face is flushed and feels very warm. That last one was listed as an expected reaction and is supposed to subside.

Now to see how long the relief lasts.

19-03-2015, 04:27 AM
My mother took cortisone my whole life-- not in the shot form-- but in pill form to combat her asthma. She always warned us before she started because it was a 10 day cycle of hell. She was moody and crazy and in the end it tore apart her immune system. I don't think that anything in moderate use is plain awful... but definitely don't use it as a cure. I honestly feel like her poor health in her elder days can be contributed to her almost habitual use of steroids.

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang